Diverticular Bleed

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have had diarrhea and rectal bleeding for a month and discomfort (but not pain) lower left side. I went to see my GP and she ordered blood and stool samples. A few days later I woke up in blood stained sheets and when I got up blood was running down my legs. I called 111 and was told to go straight to A&E. They kept me in all day on an IV drip as I was dehydrated with sluggish circulation and later discharged with antibiotics Co-Amoxiclav and a letter for my GP saying Diverticulitis/IBD?

Flexible sigmoidoscopy/colonoscopy/CT scan have been booked for 31 October. Despite the antibiotics, the diarrhea and bleeding continue and although I am drinking lots of water, I have a continually dry mouth. This is the first time I have ever experienced anything like this and am naturally very concerned. I don’t quite understand what is happening. Are the antibiotics to take away the inflammation? Will the bleeding continue until the inflammation is gone? I read somewhere that diverticular bleeds usually stop on their own. Is a month a long time for bleeding to continue? I am trying to be positive but feel very run down and 31 October seems like a long way away for the tests. Any advice please?

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I also have been bleeding . Dr did not seem particularly concerned, gave me anti biopics , I thinki it is a lot of blood each time I go to the loo Also get bad cramps pains,
    • Posted

Sounds like a flare up of Diverticulitis, which I know you have been following.  If you've been given the standard antibiotics for diverticulitis, that is the usual treatment in the UK.  The doctors don't consider this a serious disease unless a complication arises. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.