Diverticulitis and Gout

Posted , 3 users are following.

Last week I was diagnosed with diverticulitis. I have only eaten some grits eggs and a little mashed potatoes. Now I have a gout flare-up up on top. I'm at my wit's end. Any help out there? Thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Harry,

I am in my 50's and got my first attack of diverticulitis about 7 years ago. It was a shock to me, since it doesnt frequently happen in people under 65. I didnt have any subsequent attacks for 5 more years. These past two years I started having frequent attacks that landed me in the hospital on a few dsys of IV antibiotics then home, on 10 days of oral antibiotics. My last attack was before Thanksgiving and was told by my surgeon snd all other physicians, that I needed to have a laparoscopic colon resection to remove the bad area of my colon. I ended up having a foot of my sigmoid colon removed. Im 4 weeks post op and feeling pretty good. I dont know how old you are but You need to be sure to take your antibiotics until they are gone, stay on clear liquids for a few days to give your bowel time to rest. You may not get another attack for many yesrs, so dont fret over it. Just be diligent in taking care if you notice the symptoms go to your doctor immediately. Studies have shown no correlation between foods we eat and diverticulitis. Its caused by feces getting trapped in the pockets (diverticulum) and since feces has ecoli bacteria in it you get diverticulitis. Dont let yourself get constipated as this makes things worse. Dont get too discouraged, if you get repeated attacks, go to a goid general surgeon or colorectal surgeon who does a lot of this type of procedures. I had a general surgeon that came highly recommended by his peers. I use to fear getting an attack. It caused me to not want to travel or get too far away from my doctor. Thats when I knew it was time for surgery. Take care and try not to worry. Gout is very manageable, even though its painful!

• Posted

Thank you for responding. I am 47 and been dealing with gout for over 10 years. I spent one night in hospital last weekend getting IV antibiotics and then sent home with 14 days of oral antibiotics and stool softener. Just don't understand how I can get a gout attack when I'm not eating anything other than very little grits and mashed potatoes. I did add a piece of toast. I actually have a Dr appt today with gastro. Hopefully get a few answers as the Emergency room Dr. Gave me none. Thanks for responding.

• Posted

I know its disheartening but try not to let it make you feel defeated. Its easy to go to a bad place, when you are use to being active and living life, and then you grt hit with this. Im a nurse so we make really bad patients, lol. You will be fine, if you take the meds, and eat healthy. Surgery is a last resort but its available if you need it. Stay positive😊

• Posted

Gig you are spot on with what causes diverticulitis by fecal matter that gets trapped in the pockets (diverticulum) and feces carries ecolo bacteria in it. One item you leave out that my USA doctor stated was our North American diet of consuming too much read meat and not enough fiber in our diets is the reason we get it. Now I also went to a surgeon ready to go under the knife because I could stand the flare ups and constant pain. He told me to get on psyllium husk and I never had another problem and I am pain free six years later. As I have told others in this forum when the colon is clear of fecal matter you will not get diverticulitis. I am forever thankful for that doctor to not cut on me and send me home with an over the counter product that saved my life.

• Posted

While that fiber regimen has worked well for you, it doesnt always work for everyone. Im very happy for you not having and attack for 6 years. With that being said, I was told to follow a cerain regimen and I would probably never have another attack. I am a very healthy eater and went for many years before having a second attack. As we age we develop more pouching of the colon. I went frim one isolated attack to one in two yeArs, then one a month. Perforation is a big problem with this disease. I was told by multiple doctors and surgeons that if I didnt get the surgery, and I perforated, I would have a permanent colistomy bag. That was incentive enough for me. Believe me, I tried everything prior to surgery. It was a last resort!
    • Posted

Glad to hear your story and how you overcame all the odds. God bless.
    • Posted

Yes once you perforate your colon you have six hours before you go septic and die. This disease is nothing to take lightly and I am fortunate to have a game plan that is working for me.
  • Posted

Harry get on a regiment of psyllium every day. It will keep your colon clean and make you go more often and when your colon is clean your not going to have DD. I'm pain free six years now and I thank psyllium for not having anymore problems with that area. I take 2 teaspoons twice per day with 12 ounces of water

Psyllium is mainly used as a dietary fiber to relieve symptoms of both constipation and mild diarrhea and occasionally as a food thickener. Research has also shown benefits in reducing cholesterol levels.

Psyllium products are marketed under several brand names, such as Metamucil, Fybogel, Konsyl, and Lunelax.

• Posted

Thank you. I will start on it just as soon as I can get over this flare-up. It's doing much better. Problem I'm having (just my luck) is this dang gout attack. I can't take the meds I usually take since it's so hard on your stomach. I'm at wit's end with this excruciating pain. Day by day. Thanks for responding

• Posted

Harry try taking it while your having the flare up. I think you will see an improvement down there and it's going to keep your colon cleaned out more regularly which will make you heal much faster.

Clean colon means no diverticulitis. Good luck.

• Posted

Harry,

You shouldnt stsrt on fiber until you are two weeks away from your attack. Every GI doctor told me to give colon a rest for 2 weeks. First clear liquuds, thus full, then soft diet and then regular. Sorry, I am going by what the doctors say.

• Posted

Hi I know how you feel Harry and I empathise with you it is a very painful and debilitating condition this diverticulitis I am sat here as I type with my hot water bottle and various pils including antibiotics I went to Docs on Thursday and she gave me the antibiotics but they don't seem to be touching it this time as I am still in pain just drinking water today and trying not to eat in case it makes it worse! I have just had some fybogel which I get free on prescription I had bowel cancer in 2000 and it was after that I started with this condition.They removed 12ins of my Colon then so as I am 72yrs old it would be impossiblefor them to do more surgery so I have to be careful not to get constipated I had lung cancer 2 yrs ago and had my Voice Box removed because of Cancer when I was 51yrs so I thin I have had my fair share but this is the worst pain of any Cancer I have had I hope things improve for you Harry x  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.