Diverticulitis and surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with diverticulitis. I had a Abscess and needed to take antibodics. I Took antibiotics for 2 weeks and still didn't shrink abcess, had to have abcess drained. Started filling better a few weeks later. About a month later I had another flare up. I watch what I eat but still had a flare up. Doctor recommends cutting out a small section in colon and then I can be back to normal. Any one recently have surgery and can tell me about the procedure, heal time or any side effects

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I started with diverticulitis back in the summer of 2006.  Hospital for a week and surgeon said most other surgeons would have operated but he felt sorry for me as I pleaded "no surgery" from my sick bed.  Intravenous metronidozole plus cefelexin.  After many weeks to recover after such a major attack; I settled into a routine of maybe three bouts a year (no abcesses though).  Then was ill for ten months with ten bouts despite not eating seeds; nuts; pips; wholegrains or skins; even no bananas or cucumbers as they have seeds - all the things they say can get stuck in the pockets and sit and fester for a few days before causing infection. The new surgeon said I would soon be pleading for the surgery; and it was indeed looking that way. Then I began taking (in UK) the 20 billion high dose Acidophilis tablets from Holland and Barrett last July - and have only had one minor bout of infection since.  I know many people have emergency surgery; others have elective surgery; but so far I am glad to have avoided it.  I am sure you will get a lot of advice on this site from people who have had colon surgery; and I wish you well on your journey.  This is a B** of a condition!!!
    • Posted

Hi Christine

Can you let me know what probiotics in Holland and barret that you take thank you

• Posted

Acidophilis is their name and the high strength is 20 billion.  Take with a cold drink as heat kills the good bacteria that they contain.  I was mega depressed at what seemed like the end of a normal life; then began taking them....they have literally given me my life back!

• Posted

I also take Acidophilus 20 billion from Holland and Barrat and I have had no flare ups. I was hospitalised for a week last August with diveriticulitis and abcess.
    • Posted

Do you know Stella if you can get diverticular on the right side of the abdomen as well ? I've had the infection twice now on my left but just recently I have had stabbing pains on my right
    • Posted

My pains have always been lower left abdomen and sometimes central mid gut.  I know some people do say they get pains on the right as well.
    • Posted

My symptoms are also on the right and I was told to attend hospital with suspected appendicitis last week, excruciating burning pain, ultrasound blood test have ruled out anything suspect in abdomen so dr says it's in colon and diagnosed diverticulitis as I also had fever and diarrhoea. I feel like colonoscopy is the only way to confirm this antibiotic don't seem to be helpig me five days onand i am following a low residue diet
    • Posted

Yes Joanne I think you are right a colonscopy would confirm whether or not you have diverticulitis.
  • Posted

Hi Carlos sorry to read about your diagnosis , this condition is nasty I too was diagnosed 5 days ago with diverticulitis after presenting myself in A&E suspecting appendicitis following a week of fever, diarrhoea and abdominal right side pain it feels like an ulcer it is burning though to my back, urine tests and blood tests and ultrasound of kidneys, liver and pelvis ruled out at sign of infection or stones cysts or appendicitis so I was diagnosed with diverticulitis and given seven days of antibiotics and told to follow a low residue diet for the weekend, yesterday day four I felt the pain subside but today I feel faint, the area feels blistering inside and I have nausea, how do you know when you have an absess, not sure what do next? I hope you feel better soon. I am worried sick we are going in a family holiday to Florida in 3 weeks I cannot sit on a flight for 9 hours with this no way!!

• Posted

Hi Joanne did you have pain in your lower right abdomen then ? Cuz normally it's on the left
    • Posted

Hi Kelly yes it's a burning pain in my right side, hence the appendicitis concern, most odd that's  it's come out the blue it is worrying me 
    • Posted

Hi Joanne, I also have div, mine started and was diagnosed on the left the had colonscopy and now have right sided pain and yes you can have it on both or either side, how are you doing now, especially with your holiday coming up, I am into my eighth wk of flare and second lot of antibiotics and have a cruise booked in 8 wks and are worried about that, I hope you are ok?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.