Diverticulitis and surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with diverticulitis. I had a Abscess and needed to take antibodics. I Took antibiotics for 2 weeks and still didn't shrink abcess, had to have abcess drained. Started filling better a few weeks later. About a month later I had another flare up. I watch what I eat but still had a flare up. Doctor recommends cutting out a small section in colon and then I can be back to normal. Any one recently have surgery and can tell me about the procedure, heal time or any side effects

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've just been into town and nipped in to H&B for the Acidophilus tablets! I couldn't the life of me remember what they were called so with a bit of help off them we decided it was Acidiophilus! So I bought them and just got home to look at your discussion to find I was right but mine are only 3 billion ones are they still likely to work? Cheers Debi x
  • Posted

Hi Carlos

I had elective sigmoid colectomy at end of Jan this year. Best decision that I ever made after years of DD.  Last year was the worst with antibiotics practically every month because of flare-ups but I never had an abscess.  Not bad enough for hospitalisation but bad enough.  I was housebound for most of last year.

They removed all of the sigmoid colon and lots of adhesions from previous gynie  ops, which they said contributed also to my problems.

I had elective keyhole surgery and didn’t need temporary colostomy bag.  I am now  4 months in and although recovery was grim for first 6 weeks I knew I wasn’t experiencing the same symptoms I had before op. They were post op symptoms which gradually went away. 

If you do have surgery just remember it takes time and you will find it tough…. just take it easy and rest.  Go with what your body is telling you.  I only needed to take paracetamol 4 x daily and Fybogel  2 x daily.  Meals are better as  small portions even if it means more than 3 x daily. Plenty of fluid is good.

Now I have my life back.  Normal is a bit different regards BM but very manageable and no pain or flare ups and bonus is I’m not taking anymore antibiotics and all the other drugs and not spending my days hugging hot water bottle on sofa!!

Good luck Carlos what ever decision you make.

Regards 

Annie

• Posted

Hi Anne- Marie, I am booked in for elective key hole surgery in 20th but I have a cruise booked for 9 wks time as I am in my 8th wk of flare and still in pain, do you think I will be able to eat and drink normally and enjoy or do you think I would be better to put it off till after please?
    • Posted

Hello Muriel

Sorry to hear you are troubled by DD.

I think the best person to advise you about cruise would be your surgeon.  He knows your situation best and will certainly advise you as to what is the best thing to do.  Everyones recovery time is different.  

As I said first 6 weeks recovery were grim.  I had two post op infections which meant taking 2 types of antibiotics which made me very nauseous.  It was all very tiring and wearing but I got there in the end.  Bowel movements still a bit erratic but not troublesome.  

As regards food.  I am able now to eat most things but only small meals otherwise feel bloated.  I don’t eat much meat either. I do avoid food that causes wind as that can still be uncomfortable.

Also your Holiday Insurance Company may want confirmation from Surgeon that you are okay to travel.

I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery and enjoy your cruise even if you have to postpone it until later.

Regards

Annie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.