Diverticulitis/Diverticulosis

Posted , 8 users are following.

In desperate need of some advice, having bloating, spasms in abdomen, gas pains. What can I take for some relief? 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Maybe Gas x. I am on a prescription called Bentyl for the spasms. Hang in there. This is horrible.
    • Posted

Like I said I had 2 Cat Scans and full blood work done this month and shows no sign of flare up or infection. This is my first time having spasms and real bad gas pains. I’ve had the bloating discomfort and nausea always depends on what I ate. 
    • Posted

I have suffered from IBS for years. You can have the spasms with that also. How I new it was something different was the horrible pains in my lower abdomen that felt like contractions. I would be in the bathroom for more than an hour. Also painful to the touch. I hope you get it figured out soon. 
  • Posted

I take Bentyl for spasms. Use heating pad and liquid to soft food diet.  If it persists seek Gastro doctor.

It’s an up and down yo-yo experience.  I feel spasms are good related so watch what you eat and take note of the food that possibly can trigger an attack.  Sometimes it’s just IBS and an antispasmodic really helps.  Usually it either gets better in a day or gets worse.  I’m at the point I pretty much know the difference between IBS and a flare up of Diverticulitis.  Been dealing with both over 15 years.  🤗

• Posted

Hi is bentyl a prescription drug I go back to GI doc next month so far she hasn't prescribed anything I don't know if I have IBS I was great until May 6 then hospital bad infection in colon diagnosed diverticulitis 2 infections in 10 weeks just getting over last one now trying to figure out how to eat without pain God bless your soul 15 years with a smiley face I hope I will b smiley before to long!

• Posted

Yes Bentyl a prescription.  I take 20 mg. I had worked for me for years.  I only take when I start to feel spasms.  You can take 3 a day.  It really relaxes the colon.  Ask for it.  It’s worth a try.

I think my DD is a result of years with I BS.

Good luck and I have had several surgeries so if I can help it I am trying not to have anymore.

One of my surgeries was from accumulated scar tissue so any surgery(abdominal) causes scar tissue so sometimes treating with antibiotics has to be my choice.  I have seen a surgeon twice and he is a conservative one.  He doesn’t advise surgery unless repeated attacks one after another.  So think get opinions several and think twice or three times before surgery.  God Bless 🤗

• Posted

Wow what a horrible journey you have been on. I am waiting on tests for Candida, IBS, Parasites, SUDD, and getting set up for test of SIBO. My resent Cat Scan and blood work was all normal just the diverticulosis no infection or sign of flare up. I have my colonoscopy tomorrow. I have lost 35 lbs in 4 months and developed anxiety panic attacks. It’s been a rough road, not knowing what to eat and being afraid to eat. Which diet do you go by? I’ll definitely ask for the Bentyl. And I agree with Ellen , hope to have a smile 😃 🙃 happy face soon. Any advice on diet, herbs, or supplements would be 👍 God bless 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.