diverticulitis surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am trying to decide if I should have surgery to correct this.  With my diverticulitis I have diarrhea and constipation along with lots of pain.   My colonoscopy showed that I have this in part of my colon and my GI doctor suggested surgery to take out the infected part of my colon.   What I would like to know from other's who have gone through surgery, if the diarrhea and constipation stops.   That is my biggest worry, that it won't stop.  Would love to hear from others about this.   

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was having diarrhea and some constipation until I identified a food that was triggering the diarrhea. I also made a conscious effort to eat a high fiber diet and stay well hydrated throughout the day. Exercise has also made a difference in reducing the pain. Diverticulitis  is still largely misunderstood, so not every remedy works for everyone. But I have found that this combination of approaches has helped me. 

Have you tried any of these things?

• Posted

I have had 12” of my colon removed and have constipation from time to time if I get off of my regiment. Try taking a cap of mirilax each day with a probiotic. I use florajen 3 probiotic. Also drink water all day. No one drinks enough water. I also eat yogurt at least every other day as well. It is a lifestyle change that I fought for a while but it is something that isn’t going away.  I’ve given up cheese which sucks bc I used to love pizza but it shuts my whole system down. Try to keep with what triggers your diarrhea and constipation. You will be surprised at what you find. Hope some of this helps
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with diver in 2002, then I was doing well until 2012.   I have tried high fiber and probiotics, doing everything my doctor told me to and this last bout of diver has not stopped.  I've been to my family doctor and she sent me to a GI doctor and had a colonoscopy and endoscopy.  Kept a food diary of everything that went into my mouth.   Nothing is improving.   The Dr that did the scopes mentioned surgery and I think that is what I might end up doing (because the pain is not letting up, this time).   I just wanted to know if anyone has had the surgery and if the diarrhea and constipation would let up.   I have taken Miralax everyday for about a week and it didn't really help.   I've missed many many days of work, used all my vacation, FMLA and sick time and even people at work have donated hours for me and I've used all of that up too.   Thank you for getting back to me.   I haven't found a food that was triggering diarrhea.  

• Posted

As for my situation, I'm exactly like you...lots of water, fiber, exercise (walking), so far it's working.

• Posted

Hi glorfrits I had multiple flare ups in a two month period doctors kept putting me on Flagyll and Cipro the first and last infection was intravenously I tried to tell them it wasn't working to no avail Well my large and small intestine stuck to each other causing a blockage so it was emergency procedure first surgery July 24 surgeon took out 12 inches of my sigmoid colon and 2 inches of my small intestine open surgery although they tried lapiscopic they couldn't get a good view and because of scar tissue being a problem with future abdominal surgeries they also took my appendix Well you take a chance that intestines will knot up after surgery and unfortunately my small intestine did exactly that So another emergency surgery July 14 this time incision 10 inches long 40 something staples WOW ever since it was done I have had explosive diahrea I no kidding 20 times a day all night long was just able to stop wearing diapers a few weeks ago so hard to get up in time to get to the toilet The last 2 days were good only 2 defications each day was so happy but today 6 so far It was a extremely tough surgery I'm 60 years old and was healthy before diverticulitis! I'm 5 foot 7 and when this all started April 6 I weighed 138 pounds on the scale today 97 pounds still have abdominal pain although not the same as flare up pain weak as a kitten can't even cook for myself If you decide to do it make sure your home is prepared and all necessities you need pads wipes cream are all ready and available after surgery I live in 2 level home you will struggle doing stairs of any kind so I've been on couch down stairs The more family and friends you have to help the better off you will be I never imagined it would b this intense We are all different I pray if you have it done it works out better for you Ask surgeon lots of questions none are to small

• Posted

I will be going to my doctor tomorrow and I have a whole page of questions.   Where I live there isn't a lot of surgeons around here and I would have to travel 90 miles to be able to talk to surgeons.   I drink lots of water and watch what I eat, but nothing is helping.   Understand about the bathroom trips, lol, it is not a fun thing to go through.  I don't have stairs in my house and my two sisters live on each side of me.  We are 50 steps apart.   They would be close by if I needed help.  I'm 65 years old, soon to be 66.  I've lost about 25 pounds.  I am thinking that surgery might be the best for me and understand it is a painful ordeal, but in the long run, think I would be better off.  

• Posted

I wish you the best of luck! Diverticulotis can b miserable for some people no matter if your doing everything right, diet and so on The more infections you get the more it thins your colon I'm happy to hear you have family support so close I understand about second and third surgical options my insurance wouldn't pay 4 it Keep us in touch with your DD

• Posted

I talked to my family doctor and she said the surgery would be the best for me.  Now I am waiting for my GI doctor to get back to me.  I asked him if I could do my follow up (from the endoscopy and colonoscopy) and also get an appointment with the colon surgeron the same day.   So now I am in the waiting mode and don't like to wait and wait.  lol    For the last 3 days, I have had no pain and it's so nice to be like this, but I know it can change suddenly, but for now I am enjoying it.   ha  ha 

• Posted

That is the point I got to before surgery. Nothing I did worked. Maybe it is time for you to have surgery. I would research surgeons and try to find the best one. And make sure you ate completely healed before surgery. I stayed on Flagyl and cipro up until surgery. I stay more constipated since surgery though. Which I am able to control with the mirilax and probiotic. I would definitely talk to your doc about surgery bc it’s know way to live I know. If you have tried everything that is the point you are at. 
    • Posted

I think I am at that point.   Just waiting to get an appointment with my GI doctor who did the endoscopy and colonoscopy.  When I get that, I am hoping to get an appointment the same day with the colon surgeon and get all my questions answered.
  • Posted

I have not had surgery but still would like to share a little of my opinion.  

IBS can cause pain, constipation and diarrhea.  I have both.  IBS AND DD.

When you may have both too.  When my IBS acts up I get bloating and diarrhea.  Constipation is usually after I have diarrhea.  It is a vicious cycle.  I watch fiber. I CANNOT eat many fiber foods as they irritate my colon and I get terrible cramping.  It seems my Diverticulitis acts up after lots of bouts of IBS.  When I start having pain and sometimes terrible cramping I first go on a liquid diet and take a prescription antispasmodic as well as apply heat to the abdomen. If it does not subside I go to the doctor and because the doctor is familiar with me prescribes an antibiotic.  I have been hospitalized several times in which IV antibiotics have really helped.  I have had this condition for probably 15 years. I also have seen a reputable surgeon.  He says I’ll do it but I don’t recommend you having it done now.(I saw the surgeon in May).  He admitted it’s no easy operation.  I feel you should see two or three surgeons before you decide.  It all depends on your body and can condition of your colon how much will be removed.  I know some who do well others still have pain.  Have you had CTscans?  Has any if you DD attack scans show infected area?  Not just moderate infection but infectious notable areas(pus)?  If so you need to consider seeing several surgeons if it has shown that in several CT scans.  My CT scans all have shown moderate DD and the last attack which quite honestly was the worst took me well over 4 months to feel better.  I had IV in hospital and two rounds of antibiotics when I went home. But knocks the heck out of you and diarrhea continues for some time because if antibiotics.  I start a probiotic with the antibiotics and it does get my insides quiet after a few days or so.  Still since I have no pusular infection I hold off from surgery.  You need to find out the extend of your infection and then proceed if you can’t take it anymore .

I feel as some else mentioned IBS can be triggered by a particular food.  Just an example raw onions or MSG.  I have to be cautious when I order out and at home I use a crockpot a lot.

I stay away from raw veggies, skins, nuts  and seeds and take a multiple vitamin.

I eat steak on occasion but it’s only a filet.  I eat ground beef, turkey and chicken.

I wish you good luck and prayers. I know you are disgusted, so afraid and feel terrible as well as confused.  I hope I helped more than made you more confused.

My last as most important advise is get another Gastro doctor opinion and see another surgeon to rule out the above issues.  Especially the level of severity of your condition.  I good surgeon will not rush but actually show you what he would do upon opening you up.  What technique he would use and mine said laparoscopic but possibly open abdominal.  It really all depends on what he finds.

I know how scared you are.  Have faith and always hope.  🤗

• Posted

My decision was made by consulting my GI doc followed my a consult with 2 GI surgeons who specialized in the davinci method ...

Both of whom suggested managing with diet...so far no surgery. I drinks at least 8 glasses of water daily and careful diet with oatmeal daily.

• Posted

It takes time after surgery for the bowel to start working properly. A lot depends upon how much they take out, and where it's at. The first 6 weeks stay on a soft diet (avoid all foods you had to while having attacks) to give your insides time to heal. Remember what goes in has to come out. I'm about 4 1/2 months post op open cut sigmoid colectomy where they removed 4". I too suffered from diarrhea and constipation because of the scar tissue. I will not lie, the surgery is excruciating but worth it. Since the surgery I haven't suffered any diverticulitis symptoms and been able to eat foods I hadn't had in 2 years. Remember everybody is different. My situation was dire as I had developed sepsis in my lower abdomen.

• Posted

Living with diverticulitis is no life to live. I was also at the point of no return. The only reason they did open cut on me is because of family history of colon cancer and the multiple attacks. I too was in attack mode, got the antibiotics 2 weeks before my surgery simply because I wouldn't have survived another attack. Lapriscopic is a faster healing time than open cut. Just remember to stay on a soft diet and eat in moderation for at least 6 weeks to give your insides time to heal. What goes in has to come out.

• Posted

HI

I know exactly what you are going through! I had been in the ER NOV, DEC, and JAN last year with recurrent diverticulitis. I was prescribed antibiotics each time. Some days I could barely eat a cracker! My first attack was 2 years ago it lasted for four months.It didn't matter what I ate! It was recommended I have surgery ! So in April I had 12-18 inches removed robotically . The surgery was easy for me. I followed the directions to a tee! I drink a lot of water and walked after every meal. I didnt need much pain meds. BUT recoverytakes awhile give yourself 6 months to recover! It has taken me that long to find the right balance. I take a probiotic and bitamin at night and small fiber in the morning. I still have problems with anything carbonated. Too much fiber is a problem for me. I too have had urgent diarrhea after surgery but the fiber supplement has that under control.

SO I WOULD DEFINITELY DO IT AGAIN!

Feel free to ask any questions!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.