diverticulitis surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am trying to decide if I should have surgery to correct this.  With my diverticulitis I have diarrhea and constipation along with lots of pain.   My colonoscopy showed that I have this in part of my colon and my GI doctor suggested surgery to take out the infected part of my colon.   What I would like to know from other's who have gone through surgery, if the diarrhea and constipation stops.   That is my biggest worry, that it won't stop.  Would love to hear from others about this.   

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

If I understand your posts correctly, you have had DD since 2002 and it was well controlled until 2012, but not since. Also you are almost 66 and still working. So you are experienced in managing the disease, have tried everything you know and nothing works any more. Your quality of life now sucks, and I suspect that unfortunately you are at high risk of losing your job due to your health record.

I'm from the school of thought that surgery should be avoided if at all possible - I've been managing my DD since 2001 and it took almost a year to get over the last flare in 2016. I thought I'd never be free of pain and running to the loo 6+ times a day. HOWEVER, in your case I wonder if you have now reached the point where surgery is necessary to improve your quality of life.

Some people sail through the surgery but many do report complications and setbacks. It is major surgery, and will take months to recover from. You may well be unable to work anyway, and if circumstances permit I think you should consider retirement, particularly as you have close family to help you whilst you recover.

If you can, please seek several opinions. You need to know if the surgeon plans to operate laparoscopically or open cut, whether you will have a stoma, and if so whether it will be reversed. You also will need to know how your diet and lifestyle will be affected immediately and long term. Best wishes with a difficult decision.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.