Diverticulitus flare up

Posted , 13 users are following.

My latest flare up has lasted 3 weeks. Dr says there is no infection just a flare gave me antibiotics but they give me bad stomach pain. The trouble is I’m allergic to penicillin so she said there is no other she can give me. Has anybody had good results with alternative therapies. I have reduced my intake of gluten and keeping a diary of what I eat any help will be much appreciated. As everyone days this is a horrible disease that a lot of people have not heard of ☹️

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Wow you sound like me. Sometimes flare ups but when they look no infection so back on the antibiotics anyway. . I’m sure they mess with my stomach too I have severe pain there I like you am allergic to penicillin but that has never been a drug of choice for these infections only Flagyl and Cipro. I think you should try taking them. I don’t think that’s what hurting your stomach. As for alternative measures it’s hard to say. Would love to find something there. Let’s just keep searching. I think you’re on the right path however. We have to research and do whoever we can to help each other. 
  • Posted

What the heck sounds like you might want to seek out a new doctor! I am deadly allergic to pennicillin and my doc gives me Bactrim (which is awesome for DD)  Bactrim is two antibotics in one I love it! I also get flagyl but after a few days that one really kicks my booty with horrible side afects including head jerking, dizziness like you wouldnt beleive! Plus theres plenty other antibotics she could give you! 
  • Posted

I used to be given 14 day courses of Metronidazole. I honestly say I don't know if it is a form of penicillon or not. Your Dr can check as could any pharmacist. Good luck

• Edited

My immediate thought was "why give antibiotics if there is no infection"?  Surely all the antibiotics will then be doing is give you the very unpleasant side effects and building up an intolerance.  Is the doctor just covering her butt in case she is wrong as she didn't do tests?  It is very difficult to tell the difference between the pain for infection with that for inflammation.  If it's just inflammation it takes time to heal and subside - weeks or even months.  I'm allergic to penicillin but when I have a genuine flare, with the cramps, fever, chills, nausea, altered bowel, bleeding, mucus etc. I  am given Metronidazole and Cefalexin.  But if I just have pain with no other symptoms, my doctor won't prescribe, just says to take Paracetemol and use a heat pad. 

• Edited

She took my temperature that was normal no other signs of infection but as I had had pain for 3 weeks decided to give me antibiotics which I have now stopped taking. Just don’t know what to eat for the best.
  • Posted

I'm allergic to penicillin too however I try to avoid antibiotics as much as possible. I've started again with severe pain, nausea but no real high temperature so holding off visiting GP . Feeling absolutely crap again , if still feeling bad on Monday think I will have to speak to GP - if I can get an appointment ! 

• Posted

Oh I hate that for you. We are all so alike with this miserable stuff. Don’t blame you for not wanting to see Dr and putting it off I do the same thing. Guess it’s back to a liquid diet for you for the weekend. Try that and see if it helps. I’m sure you’ve Googled Diverticulitis. Some decent info on some of it. No real solutions however. I get constipated I don’t want to eat because it hurts then  the fun begins all over again. Well I’m not much help. Just wanted you to know I understand. 
    • Posted

What do you eat when you go on a liquid diet? Everyone mentions bone broth but I haven’t got the strength to make this from scratch
    • Posted

You can get canned consomme from supermarkets.  Don't know where you are, but if in the UK Waitrose do chicken and beef consomme  and Campbells do a beef version.  Although some people are against it, I drink meal replacements, like Complan or even the slimming drinks, because they have the minerals and vitamins added (along with chemicals unfortunately).  Even canned ordinary soup like mushroom or tomato - the smooth varieties, not chunky.  And you can order online and get deliveries if you are not up to cooking.  Then there's plain probiotic yogurt, tea/coffee.

From your description you are still inflamed inside so small quantities at a time, rest and heat pads.  I used to take 4 - 6 weeks to recover, although last time the pain niggled on for a year, and I still get twinges 2 years on.  I overindulged yesterday, so today I am taking my own advice and giving my tummy a rest and just liquids.  I have a stock of soup in my freezer, made when I felt like cooking and kept in readiness.

• Posted

Thank you I am in uk but don’t have a Waitrose near me.
    • Posted

Inhave used the campbells consomme and it was available at local supermarket, if not you can get online
    • Posted

Hi Felina, thank you for saying that you drink the slimming drinks because I thought I was the only one who did this. I also drink Oxo cubes in boiling water, plain chicken noodle soup (not the one with the sweetcorn in it), tea, squash and water. I've had maybe 6 flareups in 18 months and was diagnosed with diverticulitis last week after a CT scan.  So far, I've only had one course of antibiotics which made me even worse so each subsequent time, I just went on a liquid diet for a few days until I felt better. Another thing, no-one seems to talk about the awful flatulence that some (or most?) of us experience. I take a probiotic tablet once or twice a day but it doesn't seem to ease the wind. I have also cut out dairy and I actually feel better for it - ie in terms of higher energy levels. I was told to go to A&E if I had another flareup but am hoping that it won't come to that. I was also offered an appointment with a dietician but I know that one diet doesn't suit all so politely refused. I'm seeing my GP next week as a follow up to the hospital appointment and to get blood test results for Crohn's.

• Posted

Hi Joy

OXO cubes is a good idea - nobody's ever mentioned it before.  Was the diagnosis Diverticulitis, Diverticulosis or Diverticular Disease, as they mean different things?  You should have been given a report after the Colonoscopy.  If not your GP should have it, so you can ask for a copy.  The antibiotics do have nasty side effects - worse than the infection.  If you settled down after a few days liquid, that suggests inflammation rather than infection.  It's very difficult to tell the difference.  My GP won't prescribe antibiotics if there is no sign of infection, hence the liquid approach.  I have to confess I actually like the banana, vanilla and coffee flavoured drinks anyway!!!

I too suffered from bloating, wind and the runs when first diagnosed.  The nurse at the GP suggested to me I cut out all gluten and wheat products.  I did and it makes a massive difference to me.  When I tried to re-introduce proper bread recently, all the symptoms immediately came back.  So clearly gluten and wheat are trigger foods for me.  Trial and error helped me find out what suits me best.  Of course if you have more than one issue, that complicates matters.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Felina and many thanks for your response. I remember the surgeon saying that I had them or it in the last 5 inches of my colon but can't remember the exact wording and yes, he said he would send my GP the report so I'll know more next week.

I wondered if wholemeal bread was giving me problems so I changed to white and have found some relief though not entirely; perhaps wheat is not for me either.

Re the slimming drink - the caramel one is my favourite! I have it with soya milk.

Will post again after the GP visit.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Wind is a problem for me too but sometimes eases the pain. I am trying to go gluten free it’s very difficult but I have a feeling it might be gluten intolerance the dr said it was very difficult to diagnose as opposed to celiac disease but pain not so bad since stopping eating wholemeal bread and crackers.
    • Posted

Hi Joy

I suspect he said you had diverticula in the last 5 inches of your colon.  Once you get the report and the exact terms things will make more sense.  I tried the caramel flavour and found it very sweet.  Now I have to watch my carb and sugar intake (pre-diabetes 3 weeks ago) so the tins are in the cupboard until my glucose levels drop and I can allow myself the odd treat.  But I like the almond and almond/coconut milk with my GF porridge or muesli.  Any questions with your report, please ask.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.