Diverticulitus flare up

Posted , 13 users are following.

My latest flare up has lasted 3 weeks. Dr says there is no infection just a flare gave me antibiotics but they give me bad stomach pain. The trouble is I’m allergic to penicillin so she said there is no other she can give me. Has anybody had good results with alternative therapies. I have reduced my intake of gluten and keeping a diary of what I eat any help will be much appreciated. As everyone days this is a horrible disease that a lot of people have not heard of ☹️

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, having bad pain but no tempreture , how do you know if infection or just inflammation. Just taking painkillers , not good !
    • Posted

I think temperature is a good indication whether you have an infection. Dr asked me other questions can’t recall them all best get checked by a dr
    • Posted

Caroline my Dr says there should be fever with infection. However I have a friend who is a Gastro Dr and he says he disagrees with that. So do I. I had it with no fever. Take care of yourself today and call him tomorrow. 
    • Posted

Thanks Patricia, I tend to agree as surely so much pain and nausea  etc can't be just through inflammation ! Tried to get an appointment on Friday but just told sorry none available . Hopefully get one tomorrow with GP . Just going to get in a warm bath  and keep with the painkillers and hopefully feel a bit better before bed . Thanks everyone x

• Posted

Ahhh Caroline it just hurts me that you hurt. You have to be a sufferer if this disease to really understand. My problem now is bloating and bad cramps. Just does not want to leave. I had sigmoidostomy Thursday. Showed no diverticulitis. That’s interesting because like so many of us  I feel rotten. It’s pretty deviststing not knowing what to do. I like your plan of a hot tub bath. I’m sure it will help. Don’t forget the heating pad also. I find it very helpful. Maybe some day , soon, I hope we will find the answer. I pray so!

• Posted

I was hospitalised 5 years ago that's when I found out I have diverticulitis, I was given antibiotic metronidazole which I had a bad reaction from swollen tongue and really painful stiff neck, I am severely allergic to any Penicillin so can not take it, couple of years back I had another bad attack and one of my GP insisted I had to take metronidazole and suffer the side effects as they were no other antibiotics. Which I refused, so I did alot of research on line, apparently echenacia is a natural antibiotic also taking high dosage 4000iu vit d3 helps, it took 3 weeks for the pain to subside. Last Dec 2020 I was rushed into hospital with a flesh eating infection in my head resulting in 3 life saving operations because I'm allergic to so many antibiotics it took a while to find one which I didn't have a reaction too which was doxycycline I was fine off it and it cleared the infection, iv been fine with my bowel over a year now not eating nuts seeds corn popcorn and taking 4000iu vit d3 and echenacia. Couple of months ago i thought I'd lower my intake of vit d3 with the spring time coming, then last week I was stupid enough to eat raw onions with cheese on my salad and paying for it this week my diverticulitis is back with a vengeance I put myself on a liquid diet n started the echenacia but the pain was so bad I couldn't cope with waiting 2 weeks for the pain to subside, I looked up antibiotics for diverticulitis and doxycycline is one of the antibiotics iv rung my GP and asked to be put on doxycycline which they agreed 2 a day for 7 days along with buscopan for the cramps, iv upped my dosage back to 4000iu vit d3, have a read up on it on Google, iv also been talking to another who suffered bad with diverticulitis and she told me about another herbal remedy which she swears by olive leaf extract she takes it every day apparently it has strong antibacterial and antiviral properties and kills infection, this is something I'm going to look into after my course of antibiotics, if taking 2 capsules a day keeps me infection free il take them for the rest of my life along with my vit d3 , if you opt in to take vit d3 you need it combined with k2 to absorb in your blood system but please read up on everything on Google first before you make up your mind. I hope this has helped, hope you get better soon kind regards Denise

• Posted

You might want to consider that you may not require antibiotics. do a google search and you will see that not all flare ups require antibiotics. At time of my last flare up I asked the doctor to order a white blood count to see if there was an infection. Since my white count was normal I didn't take the antibiotics even though the doc suggested I take it. Medical literature search shows not all flare ups need antibiotics, which, as you know cause problems of their own. The flare up resolved over several days. I did eat a soft diet. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.