Diverticulosis diverticulitis diverticula sigmoid colon abscess

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had the worst experience in my life. It has been going on for the fourth month. First I went to emergency and I was treated for an inner ear infection which is causing vertigo and migraines. Then I got sick from visiting ER with bronchitis Tonsillitis and a back infection from the plastic on the ER bed. I had a lot of other issues related to an infection that kept getting ignored by ER and doctors like sweats chills severe nausea vomiting diarrhea and then finally constipation well I felt like I was losing my mind and vision. I even call for an ambulance who told me my vitals were fine and didn’t want to take me to ER but wanted to take me to urgent care instead. after being discharged and the doctor referring to me as a very difficult historian I went to urgent care to days later and they would not treat me because they said I probably had a life-threatening situation and they saved my life with all my symptoms they said I needed to go to ER. When I got to ER I told them I wasn’t leaving until they found the cars instead of treating the symptoms and that I was very sick and I was sick of being told there was nothing wrong with me. I was admitted to ER And I laid in bed for two days in the hallway next to the homeless coming out of the rain for two weeks and very sick people. I was told I may need emergency surgery which turned into a drainage for a perforated abscess and. periotonitis which could’ve killed me. I was responding to antibiotics and was sent home obviously without enough antibiotics and I was discharged early. The first time I went out of the house three weeks later for a blood test and an MRI I had to be rushed in an ambulance to go half a block to the hospital. Fortunately it was a much better hospital and I was admitted for another six days. I am feeling much better but I have been bed ridden going on for months so the recuperation Time will be tested. Plus now I have to be tested for cognitive issues and I feel this infection probably cost them. I was only 63 when all this was happening and I turn 64 on my birthday the day I was just charge from the hospital the second time where thank God people listened to me. I have to get a colonoscopy and the CT scan indicated other cyst on my liver and kidneys which may not be a problem but this is all overwhelming and then it will be determined if I need: colon surgery. I live in California on the east side or doctors are uneducated obviously. Diverticulosis only affects a small percentage and this should’ve been treated immediately. Now I’ve had two diverticulitis attacks probably because I was only able to drink milk and toast for the two months this was going on before the stomach pain and constipation set in. I do doctor told me to stay on low fiber for four weeks but the high fiber was needed to prevent new constipation so after two weeks I will be increasing my fiber today. Now I know the symptoms to look for like vomiting constipation a heart and stomach headaches chills sweats nausea to avoid this from ever happening again. I have always eaten well but it is difficult for me to stomach a lot of foods and then The low fiber diet actually works pretty good for me except I will need to increase that carefully. I probably have lactose issues and the doctor told me not to eat dairy which is not healthy for me and I am tolerating smaller amounts and my new doctor told me I can leave out dairy for three days and see if I feel better to test for lactose which is much easier than discontinuing dairy if I can tolerate it. Long story short this is been a nightmare that I want to share so especially the elderly realize that this can happen to anybody there are no causes food is not an issue in a Attacks but constipation is a serious issue. If you are reading information on the Internet make sure it is scholarly articles and resent because things like nuts corn etc. I have now been told are OK in moderation but of course I’m scared to death to eat. Good luck and take care of your stomach.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Oh man i feel for you. I was rushed into A&E also they found a i had infection and inflammation in my abdomen. After being in hospital for nearly weeks two CT scans and being on so much IV medication from antibiotics, paracetamol, antisick ess plus oral morphine pain management. I was told i may need major surgery i was lost for words as i also suffer from anxiety which was off the scale. Then did an MRI after that it was decided that a surgical drain was to take out the puss as a pouch had burst plus i had a perforated lower right bowel. I was also nil by mouth and was on PTN for two weeks to allow my bowel to heal with antibiotics and just having IV nutrients given to me. After another 2 weeks the puss stopped coming out and another CT scan showed my bowel had healed thank god. I had a Colonoscopy 6 weeks after but they still can not confirm with its Diverticulosis or chrons. They have taken biopsys but i still have really bad pains all over my abdomen, back and legs plus tired all the time. I due to have another MRI to see why i am still in pain etc. The gastro doctor called me but told or gave me any treatment. I am seeing the colorectal surgeon again to talk to me. I am so concerned as i have been off work for so long and not sure when i will be back. This has really made a huge impact on my life.

• Posted

I am so sorry that you are going through all this which sounds worse than what I have been going through. A colon infection is diverticulosis. I believe it just closed down my system so I am dealing with all these other things. Let’s talk about anxiety. I felt like I was having a nervous break down for three monthsBefore I started showing symptoms and the doctor told me I can treat your dizziness or I can treat your anxiety so control your anxiety. I think she is the one who had anxiety because how could anybody cook with all this going on plus she sent me for a brain MRI instead of another stomach scan Which may have prevented another relapse. all I can say is that get your hospital documents and ask all the questions that you have Especially to the G.I. guy. Mine and even compared to a different hospital CT scans and starts ranting about losing weight and how a car works. I asked him what can be done if the car runs out of gas and can’t be moved. The insensitivity of the medical community is astounding and I believe they are overworked and my second visit where people had more time was much better. You are dealing with so much and it’s hard to find the forest through the trees. I was told twice that I needed to get colon surgery and after the first time when it happen again I told the nurse I need to see the neurologist I need to see the G.I. doctor and I need to see the surgeon and nobody is doing surgery on me until it’s my decision. The anxiety for me is worse than by not understanding everything that is going on and I am feeling more relaxed by cutting down on medication and taking what is appropriate to call me down in small doses so I can manage all of this. I also found a wonderful Doctor Who is helping me with the referrals and don’t forget you’re paying the bill you don’t have to deal with anybody who is not treating you right. It sounds like you are between a rock and a hard spot because you want to get better and you want to do what’s necessary but the doctors are all over the place and you do not deal know what to do. Have they taken an ultrasound because the appendix is on the right side and I’m not too familiar with Crohn’s disease but I believe it is very similar. I wish you were a recovery and please keep in touch and tell me how you are doing thank you

• Posted

Anxiety was at an extreme high in hospital where i could not relax at all. Not being able even to have a sip of water for two weeks was so tough.

Today i am in pain but do not know how to get rid of the pain. Paracetamols do not work but cant take anything stronger.

I am scared of what they may need to do but i guess if its there to get you better than there is no other option. Seeing patients return from ICU after various colon ops put my anxiety so high ans one patient telling me to have surgery why if it was not needed.

Lets see what the MRI picks up and my next appointment.

You stay well and keep in contact also

• Edited

I Understand completely how you feel. We are at we at their mercy trying to feel better. I completely understand how you feel. We are at we are at the mercy Of trying to feel better and taking what we can get. This is only my opinion-Try to go to another hospital and tell them you’re not happy with the situation because it has been on results for two weeks. Take an ambulance or have someone take you somewhere else. Two weeks and water is going to kill you and it’s because you’re waiting for surgery which should’ve been determined by now. You can rinse your mouth or ask them for swaps or they can try to feed you for a few days and postpone the surgery. The people coming out of I see you are probably feeling better and it is major surgery. When I was in ER the first time there was this young southern woman who overheard my conversation with the radiologist and she said go for the surgery instead but she was dealing with obstructions which I was not and the drainage worked. I worry for you that your infection can go into sepsis because they did not tell me I had peritonitus. that means the infection went into my bloodstream and could’ve went into my organs and killed me and they may be waiting for that to clear up with you but again this is only my opinion. I took Norco and the pain went away but you want to be clear in mind. If it is any consolation after four months and the second set of antibiotics I am doing better but in reading over my hospital documents there is a lot that they did not tell me like I have innumerable diverticula on my colon. also cysts that must be benign. The fact that my dizziness is going away and that they think I might have cognitive problems which means dementia also tells me how serious this was infection was and could’ve left brain damage. Now you’re also saying you have problems on the right side where I believe your gallbladder appendix and liver are so have they checked all that out. Ask them why they haven’t done surgery already and I know you don’t want surgery and pin them down as to what you were actually dealing with. I don’t know how old you are or your level of education but it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that something is wrong with your care. Start reading things on the Internet and pulling off articles and asking them questions on diverticulitis diverticulosis dehydration etc. God bless you poor person and I could be in the same situation tomorrow because I feel like the situation wanes But nobody’s going to miss treat me again like this. It to going to a another hospital in about four doctors to find a doctor I spoke to this week who was wonderful and people have to listen to you and explain why and how you are dealing with all these other things God bless stay strong you’ll get through this I just know you will but also stand up for yourself.

• Edited

2/2 I looked up the medicine that you are taking for pain and it is equivalent to 325 a Tylenol his band in the United States in 2011 to bring down the dose to 325. Tylenol is better for your stomach but I am not sure why they can’t give you more for the pain in an IV. You’re going to have to do that if they put you and I see you anyways. I know how frustrated you are and I am frustrated for you because I was in the same dilemma. Also I felt like I was dying and nobody would help me and now I realize how close I was. I am very fearful fearful of surgery but as alas alternative it may be necessary After my colonoscopy. But what you’re going through now sounds just as bad so ask for the help that you need and make them give you legitimate answers demand to see the G.I. guy in the other surgeons that are on staff at this point and then make your decision on what’s best for you God bless a stranger who cares

• Posted

Can i just jump in here and say the surgery is really not that bad. Yes you are in icu, but only for one night and you hardly remember it, and your pain control is amazing. Surgery is better than repeated nasty infections and abscesses. And the antibiotics for the infections are very powerful, they Made me sick. Any questions please feel free to ask .

• Posted

Well, I'm glad you had a good experience. Also, what kind of surgery it is. I have to have a colonoscopy. The surgeon said colon surgery is about a month recuperation. That is hard for me to deal with. Hopefully, I won't need it. I don't have an obstruction. This was my first abscess. Early diverticulitis from what I am reading from the report this weekend. How did you feel with the abscess at first? I took off work because I felt so blah for the term. Two weeks later, I started having all the symptoms but ER wasn't treating the infection but the vertigo. Two months later the pain set in and all I was eating was toast and drinking milk which caused the plumbing issues. I think that could have been avoided and started the diverticulitis although the diverticula are innumerable. I will have to wait this out to see how it progresses or worsens. Are you feeling good now after the surgery? Thanks for you input. Stay well.

• Posted

Hi. A colonoscopy is when they put the scope inside your bowel and have a good look to see what's going on in there. Here in Australia you have a light anaesthesia and you don't remember anything about it , it's very quick. I have had many colonoscopies the preparation is a bit hard because you have to drink stuff to clean out the bowel but the procedure is nothing at all. I had no choice but to have the surgery I felt so ill when I had the abscess but my gastroenterologist kept telling me that I was fine , he didn't do any tests the only did thing he did was blood test and that doesn't show anything. As I said in the other message I insisted on having something done because I had agonising back pain my bladder hurt too. I also had pus coming out of my back passage. It was a terrifying couple of weeks, because when they finally did the ct scan they could see a blockage but couldn't tell me if it was cance or not! The gastroentorologist really panicked then and handed me over to a wonderful surgeon that did a colonoscopy and assured me that it was certainly not cancer it was an abscess. Because I'had had it had it for so long it was such a mess in there the abscess was stuck to lots of different organs and it was just a mess I had to have a bag to let the bowel heal for 3 months but I really had no choice and I managed very well with it. The operation went well considering what a mess t was in there but it's taken me 2 years to recover but it wouldn't take the normal person 2 years to recover it was just because my abscess had been there for such a long time.

• Posted

hi good to know you have good medicine in Australia. I have been there twice the last time in 2001. I have not been able to find anything on online on how long the abscess can exist before it gets bad. For about three months I felt numb and then three months after that for them to find the abscess. I understand about the back because that’s where I’m having pain now and I won’t know until I have a colonoscopy how much damage there has been aBut my memory is getting better.nd I did go into Periotinitis. forgive me if i repeat myself But my memory is getting better. I have chronic fatigue syndrome among other things and I am still very weak so I imagine it’s gonna take me a while to be up to get strong again - The doctor in the hospital the first time said I could make a dermatologist appointment the afternoon I got discharged what a joke that was since I went back to the hospital . and I have to have surgery I hope I don’t have to go as long as you did but because you had the obstruction and emergency surgery I would’ve had to go through the whole thing thing if the anabiotics didnt work. it doesn’t surprise me that you still not feel good after two years Because of what you went throug because of what you went through. Psychologically I’m waking up every morning tied to an IV or having nightmares that nobody would listen to me. I hope this will pass soon. The medical Feel it is a blessing and a threat. Stay strong

• Posted

My surgery wasn't emergency surgery when they found the abscess I had the surgery about 2 weeks later . I'm very lucky I do have private healthcare here in Australia it's very expensive and we can't really afford any more because we getting older but with my health I don't think we can do without it. I am very lucky that I didn't end up with peritonitis my surgeon said the abscess had encapsulated in other words a bubble of sorts wraps itself around the abscess and protects your body it's quite amazing. However I would eventually have had dire consequences had this not being found. My case was definitely complicated because I had I had surgery last November also to remove my appendix because it was stuck to adhesions from my internal wounds and causing pain.

• Posted

IN CA I have the best insurance I can half and I can go to private doctors with the problems reside in the county I live in which is kind of a booming town east of LA and the HMO doctors in the private doctors are all basically next together because there aren’t that many doctors out here. I never was concerned about doctors in LA orange county and my worst nightmare came true out here. I too am getting up there in age and we also have Medicare and I’m going to retire so I believe I will continue to have my private insurance or I can purchase it for a not so horrible price. I hope that stays the same for at least 30 minuteI too am getting up there in age and we also have Medicare and I’m going to retire so I believe I will continue to have my private insurance or I can purchase it for a not so horrible price. I hope that stays the same for at least 30 minutes a year because we can’t change policies until the remainder of the year because we can’t change policies until the new year. In my case they were diagnosing strokes or congestive heart failure which was not my problem and ignored all the symptoms of an infection until the doctor at urgent care save my life. Of course they didn’t tell me that it had first I had to read that for myself and read about the periotonitis which is why I am sure it came back and I am still so weak. It sounds like you are well read and I have been reading everything that I can come across. I went to New Zealand and I had a penpal for 20 years until she passed away about 10 years ago and she was such a beautiful writer. I’m just taking it day by day and I’m course hoping I’m one of the lucky ones and this hasn’t spread all over or is in cancer but I wont be totally relieved until I have a colonoscopy. They say I have the early stages of diverticulitis and it was a sigmoid abscess in the small intestine. Pardon me if I repeat myself but that’s part of what I’m dealing with right now but it’s getting better. Well stay well you went through a lot with basically two emergency organs having problems. this is in the way I thought I would retire with because both my parents had basically heart attacks and went quickly except for my mother had all timers but she was OK until the end. I’m trying to add fiber to my diet and just monitor everything day by day. It’s not that easy and I was think I was building up blockage again so I’m worried about that but it looks like it at least pass for today. take care of yourself and stay strong. val

• Posted

hi how are you doing? Are you able to eat anything and have they determined anything else about surgery. I think about you and I know how hard it is to be in the hospital and with the coronavirus I could even have visitors. I’m taking it day by day so that this doesn’t come back again at least before I have a colonoscopy to see if there’s more complications. I’m just very tired and weak and it’s not exactly relaxing being sick in a hospital or dealing with doctors so I’ve taken a couple days to only take necessary calls because there’s a lot of vultures out there I just want to make money and I can’t be bothered right now with nurses or programs to help me and interrupt my progress. I only pray that you’re doing a little bit better stay strong stay tough stay Hopeful and everything will work out OK. We’re living in an age where the resources are there but the people are sometimes at a loss because everything is hidden on computers. Good night

• Posted

You poor thing, you have been through a lot. Let's hope we are both on the road to wellness. Look after yourself. .

• Posted

Hey buddy i am sorry you are feeling unwell. Any idea when they will let you home?

I had a bad day yesterday, i was in a lot of pain today its eased a bit. Contacted the gastro clinic regarding my future appointment but they told me off as i should not be ringing to move my appointment as of covid 19 and i am not a priority. The appointment was due in 3 months but they have made it for 6 months. Still awaiting my mri scan again, i am in category 2. What can i do? I have been chasing everyone to help but nothing. Now i have been told i am high risk where does that leave me?

I do hope you get well, everyone who is on this forum my best wishes and hope you all have a good and healthy life going forward.

• Posted

Thank you you too I wish I knew more and I finally just resting because I can relax and that helps a lot take care

• Posted

Thank you I know it’s very frustrating. I was going through what you’re going through my first episode and it was because of the hospital and the staff I was dealing with. Luckily I have to take an ambulance again and I went to Edison hospitalThank you I know it’s very frustrating. I was going through what you’re going through my first episode and it was because of the hospital and the staff I was dealing with. Luckily I had to take an ambulance again and I went to a decent hospital And I got the help I needed and I feel like I’m recovering but I’m still scared. Covid is a priority but your life is just as important if not more because you’re the one that’s been in the hospital forever. Take care and keep pestering them get mad at him tell him you need answers now I know it’s hard do the best you can take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.