Dizziness

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been prescribed Amitriptyline for nueropathic pain, after Keppra did not suit me. The pain seems to be derived from a back injury, but a neurologist Thinks  an antidepressant drug will help. The pain has been suppressed, but the side effects are a problem, like extreme tiredness and today dizziness when I was driving. Anyone had a similar problem and is it worth sticking with.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm only on day 3 and I'm so tired feel like I could nod off all the time. A bit dizzy too but I think it's withdrawl from citalopram.
  • Posted

I'm afraid it's one of the side effects tiredness and dizziness been on amitriptyline since last May its a good painkiller for sleeping takes around a month to work in your system I would say stay with it as I take it for chornic pain only drug that's had work

All the best

• Posted

I hope you don't mind me asking you. Did yo get the dizzy spells and if so what was the timescale before they disappeared. Or are you still getting them. I have only been in this drug for 4days and I feel terrible. What concerned me I had the first dizzy spell today when driving.
    • Posted

I would try a bit later literally just before you go to bed, that's what the GP told me. I take mine about 10.30-11pm just a thought.
    • Posted

Thanks how do you feel. Do you get these dizzy spells?. Also how long have been on them if you do not mind me asking and are there worth sticking with. I am using them fo pain and not depression.
    • Posted

Yes at the start I did but it soon went after a few days of taking them I was in 30 mg now I'm taking 40mg per night I always take it at the same time each night 8.30 I don't drive anymore I still get the "hangover effect" still some days it worse the Gp told me it takes up too 4- 6 weeks for drug too work
    • Posted

No, prior to taking them I lost 10lbs. Probably due to virtually cutting out alchol. As I have only being on the 4 days it is to early to tel. I have to drive tomorrow so I am thinking of missing out tonight
    • Posted

Since last May and I've found them too work very well I can get a full night sleep before I was not sleeping at all
    • Posted

My pain started in my lower back then moved too my legs which become numb feet too so yes I can wake up during the night and the numbnrss has gone it's only when they wear off I feel the numbness again
    • Posted

I hurt my back I September and a week later I was getting burning pains in my  shins. It then spread into my hands,arms,shoulders and face. Does this sound familiar. I only have slight numbness. I have spent most of the day in bed as I felt so lousy with the tablets. I am on 25mg a day to go up to 100mg over the next 8 weeks. If I cannot handle 25mg I have no chance on 100mg. You have been very helpful with your comments.

• Posted

Yes what you have said I've got apart from the face my wrists and fingers hands hurt I'm having a steriod injection this month I was taking 8/50mg tramadol a day but I was having bad side effects cut it down too 4 a day but I'm still in pain.

No worries if you want any more information just ask

• Posted

I've got to increase to 20mg next week. Can you drink any alcohol on these?
    • Posted

Cheers I am going to have to make a decision put up with the pain or get rid of it but with a woozy head. Sounds to me these tablets will surpresse the pain, but not cure it. Physio may be the answer. Thanks again
    • Posted

I was told moderately by GP,but officially no
    • Posted

You must take them as early as possible in order to function properly next day !!
    • Posted

8 wkd to titrate to 100 mg is pretty fast, and you will not likely adjust to the side effects for a month or so after each increase, therefore you are going to be incredibly tired! I wold ask your Dr about maybe going up 25 mg every 4 weeks. This is a tough med to adjust to, but it works very, very well on neuropathic pain. Did not eliminate mine, but cut it by over 50%. I take mine for interstitial cystitis though, which is an autoimmune attack on my bladder lining. I was in pain almost all day every day, prior to the Amitryptilline. I hope it helps you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.