Dizziness

Posted , 7 users are following.

im back!! havent been on this forum for a while as things have been going really well.

just wondering if anyone else that suffers with anxiety & takes citalopram for it ever suffers with dizziness? ive been on the drug for years & have always struggled with dizziness. im really starting to worry theres something wrong in my head & thats why im dizzy rather than the drug itself. its kind of like a spaced out feeling rather than the room spinning.

as soon as i have a dizzy spell it sets off my anxiety. anyone else experience this?

thanks

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been on citalopram HBR 20mg for 20 years and have intermittent bouts of dizziness and memory/concentration. Both side affects. I've tried coming off of it multiple times but could not tolerate the brain zaps.

• Posted

hi, thanks for your reply.

my dizziness is more of a woozey feeling, like my legs are like jelly. is yours simular?

• Posted

I am now on Sertraline 50mg for a couple of weeks now.. Was on Citalopram.. My head feels heavy and I feel spaced out too. VERY blocked ears and HUGE sinus HEAD and neck pain.. As you say makes anxiety come back.. WEIRD that anxiety causes such things,,... VAL

• Posted

Hi Laura I take citalopram for anxiety panic attacks. My new episodes (generally every 4 years) always started with dizziness.

• Posted

thanks for your replies! its awful isnt it! If it wasnt for the dizziness & the concentration problems i wouldnt suffer half as much. i think i suffer more with health anxiety now rather than generalised anxiety! every single ache or pain i convince myself the doctors have missed something & i have a serious under lying health condition. Physical symptoms of anxiety make you feel like your on your last legs!!

• Posted

Could be due to the meds, but get your ears checked too. Wax build up causes dizziness and often you don't know about it. My old boss years ago suffered with dizziness and nausea for ages, and I told her to get her ears checked. Yep - cured in one appointment.

K x

• Posted

ive had my ears checked a few months ago but i will go see my GP again. just really hope its something as simple as that xx

• Posted

Hope it is a simple cause .....

I know when I was reducing meds I used to get a strange swimmy feeling in my head but that sorted itself once everything settled.

• Posted

Forgot to add - concentration is usually caused by anxiety and / or the meds. Because our heads are so consumed by how we feel it makes normal concentration difficult.

• Posted

Hi Kate, thanks for your reply.

i was wondering if the dizziness could be down to the fact ive reduced my dose from 25mg to 20mg. when i was on 25 i felt like a zombie & again the dizziness was worse! i felt fine if not better for the first 2 weeks but this week has been bad again. ive also started smoking again which i thought could also be contributing to the dizziness.

any thoughts?

x

• Posted

It could be - some people do get lingering side effects and often reducing could remedy it.

I was on the 20mg for many years and reduced to 10mg as a maintenance dose and finally 5mg which I did well on too. The less you take I imagine the less side effects will be a bother?

Reducing can give you brain zaps which is harmless but just a weird dizzy feeling, which is what I had first time I came off.

Smoking yes - that can cause you to feel dizzy as the nicotine enters the bloodstream.

• Posted

Yes I too have had ears checked in E. N. T. Appointments.. All was clear.. Anxiety causes ears blockage weirdly apparently. Drives one nuts!

• Edited

im on it a year here in may and from december ive develiped diziness and like a wierd haze in my head its driving me insane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.