Dizziness caused by acid reflux

Posted , 122 users are following.

I was pleased to find this site as 4 months ago I was gong to the gym most days of the week. I am 61 years old but consider myself to be relatively fit. In may of this year I developed a spit and continually wanted to clear my throat .

I have had an MRI scan, Cat scan andchest/lung Xrays, all of which were clear. I have experienced lots of the symtoms contributore to the site talk about. Back pain, shoulder pain, breathlessness,hoarsness ,buzzing in my head tiredness and most scary of all lightheadedness which makes me feel as if I'm going to faint. I have seen two ENT consultants the latter of whom said that a virus was causing too much acid being produced in my stomach and has prescribed two 20mg doses of Opemrazole daily. I have taken great comfort form the discussions on this site but I am particularly interested if anyone has experienced the lightheadedness/ dizziness and ringing in the head.

10 likes, 144 replies

144 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Can relate totally to your scarey experience. Suffered from Reflux Oesophaghitis for several months until a dental checkup revealed the cause. Deep Cleaning toothpaste containing Sodium bicarbonate, the more relux I experienced the more I scrubbed my teeth to take away the horrid taste in my mouth. We all want nice clean teeth but what are we ingesting. Worth a talk to your dentist.
  • Posted

Thanks for that. The only thing is that Mum is 86 years old this year and lost her teeth years ago! At the moment she is losing her mind with the problems she is having. The doctor just keeps swapping around from Omeprazole to Rinatidin. I'm afraid due to experience I have little faith in the medical profession. Mum's problems started following a doctor prescribing antibiotics for a cough. The minute she started taking them is when all the other problems began. Coincidence? Who knows. Now that we have asked the doctor what was prescribed by her colleague she denies everything.
  • Posted

[quote:bddf7d60ed=\"Maralyn \"]Thanks for that. The only thing is that Mum is 86 years old this year and lost her teeth years ago! At the moment she is losing her mind with the problems she is having. The doctor just keeps swapping around from Omeprazole to Rinatidin. I'm afraid due to experience I have little faith in the medical profession. Mum's problems started following a doctor prescribing antibiotics for a cough. The minute she started taking them is when all the other problems began. Coincidence? Who knows. Now that we have asked the doctor what was prescribed by her colleague she denies everything.[/quote:bddf7d60ed]
  • Edited

Hi sorry for any spelling mistakes

I am 33 years old male I have been suffering with acid for about 10 years last year I had a camera and got told I had a hieratic hernia 6cm and 6cm of scaring and the start of barotts I am on two 40mg of esomeprazole daily for a bit the meds worked but then all of a sudden I started to burp really badly all the time with this I have been getting pains in my chest, arm,back, neck and sholder from sharp pains to burning to crushing and lightheaded I was really confused with these so I went to a.e had ECG all came back fine I was told that there was nothing wrong and sent home I keep on getting these everyday and are really worrying as all the Simptoms are like you are having a Hart attach I wish that you where told about this then you meat your doctor so I can get there you are coming from with pains and I don't think we are the only ones

• Posted

These symptoms, dizziness and burning pains in the body (peripheral neuropathy), combined with heart symptoms can all be from a B12 deficiency.   

The body stores up to seven years of B12 in the liver.  It can take a really long time to become deficient enough for symptoms to appear, and even longer for a B12 deficiency to show up in a blood test.  

B12 requires a lot from the body in order to be absorbed.  As we age, we lose this ability more and more.  Also, taking acid reducing medication can reduce vitamin absorption.  

Try taking a b-complex sublingual, the kind you put under you tongue, and one that is "co-enzymated" so that it's already in a form your body can use.  And then take extra b-12 in the form of methylcobalmin.

Also, look into taking "alginate" or "alginic acid" which isn't an acid, but is a supplement made from brown algae.  You take it after a meal, and it creates a foamy raft that floats at the top of the stomach, physically blocking stomach contents from rising up into the esophagus.  This may help you get off some of the other GERD medications you take that cause side effects like malabsorption.

• Posted

Hi there mate just wondering if you had any joy with the dizziness thing I've also got an acid reflux problem been on omeprazole for 10 years an no better I've had dizziness problems in the past but the docs put it down to anxiety I'm a 37 yr old male and I'm fed up to the back teeth getting fobbed of with the anxiety card

• Posted

Hey stubug ive been sufferimg the same for countless years. Docs always put it down to anxiety. So i know how you feel. Was wandering if youve had any change in your consition since last. And if you have then are you taking any new meds or something. Reply back if you can thanks
    • Posted

Same symptoms here.tested for everything.

Docs just doubled my dose of omeprazol.

Had dizzyness and shortness of breath.Also stomach is churning all day.

• Posted

Hi there still on the same meds no change it comes and goes very frustrating what about your situation?
    • Posted

Thank you for this information. I also suffer from hearthburn and dizziness. I havent taken vitamins in a while so I will definitely start taking B12. I will keep you posted.
    • Posted

Hiya did you find out what was wrong with you as I am having them same things to me and the doctors don't no what's up with me thanks

• Posted

I have the same problem and I'm 33 as well and it does scare the Hell out of you so if you have any advice on this pls hit me back

• Posted

Hello, i just want to say that i too experienced your symptoms. I was recently diagnosed with gerd and was on lanzoprazole. I've been having episodes of dizziness and chest pains. i stopped my lanzoprazole 2 days ago and i noticed i still had episodes of dizziness but not so much in severity. Initially i thought i had severe allerghy symptoms to food since ive had my worst symptom after eating fish but then im only mildly allerghic to sevral kinds of food. The doctor thinks my symptoms are due to acid reflux hence the lanzoprazle prescription. Im glad im not the only havinh these symptoms though i wish all of those sharing their experiences here are feeling way better. Pls update if any of how you are doing. Thank you

• Posted

Hi everyone I have read all the posts on here & am amazed just how many of us have the same problem.

I'm 63 & a medical secretary for past 9 weeks I've been off work with, dizziness, tingling feeling on nose & top lip, constant nausea, tiredness & generally unwell feeling, I'm at wits end with it there's no relief. Omeprazole ect cause much mire severe dizziness, frightening headaches & hallucinations so I can't take them, I tried Gaviscon Advance & it irritated my divaticular disease. I don't know what to do anymore, I am worried I will lose my job, Is there any cure for this its wrecking my life. My email is any advice would be much appreciated.. Thank you. God bless.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hi Colleen - you sound at your wits end. 

I had dizziness 10 years ago and was put on antidepressants . Said my brain chemical was too low due to anxiety.  Did definitely stop it which was great.  At that time I did not have real problems with acid - a little heartburn here and there.

However fast forward a few years and I now have HH/Gerd/Inflamed esoph.  Camera x 2 which confirmed - offered PPI's - took for one month but no use.  Year later offered PPI again but did not want them I use Ranitidine 150 am and pm.  Mastic Gum heals the stomach lining and Pepsin.  Other things I tried did not help me but actually hurt.  It is all trial and error.  Food diary does not work for me as one day food is ok another it hurts and the acid starts up, burns my mouth which sets off my inflamed gums.  Nightmare.

What I did want to say is that just before Xmas last year I went to see a Kinesiologist and had three sessions.  She could feel various inflammations throughout my body via the muscles in my hand.  At that time I started also with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity to any perfumes, deodorants etc and she said she had dealt with this before and was sure she could help.  Well after my second session it was gone and so was the acid.  I felt great.  It was very reasonable in price and also very very relaxing.  You may know of it being in the medical field. 

So much so that I went back to eating and drinking normally, but alas too normally and it has come back.  So I may re-book her.

I would bet it would help your Diver issue too.  You would be amazed at what they can feel via your hand. 

Just thought I would mention.  I don't find the doctor any use at all, it is just PPI's and off you go.

Hope this helps a little - its awful to feel so down at such a young age (I beat you I am 67) but we are in our prime lol.

• Posted

It's ROEMHELD Syndrome (Gastro-cardiac syndrome). There are just millimeters of tissue btwn the esophagus and the heart. GERD can even cause heart palpitations, due to this proximity.

• Posted

I have all the same symptoms palipitations , dizziness, heartburn throat needing cleared. Stomach swelling out after one bite of food its horrid being dizzy and unsteady is the worse part as i eat food it hurts 5 seconds after a bite i can feel it hitting my stomache doctors act clueless to whats wrong always check my heart and say i havw anxiety gerd so i know if anyone had did something to get relief please share my life is not fun right know quality of life is 0 at times when i am very energetic so its very bothersome im on two infection meds omeperzole they are treating it as an ulcer with no actul proof crazy so im taking them praying for relief
    • Posted

Hi Todd, were you able to find any solution of the dizziness and acid reflux problem that you were having? I have been suffering from gerd and dizziness for almost 5 mos now and it's really bothersome.. There are days that I'm feeling okay but most of the time I really feel bad.. I've had medications which made the dizziness worst not to mention the anxiety.. Same here, used to be very active but now I always feel scared due to anxiety gerd.. Hope you have news too..

• Posted

HI AMY! You are amazing. How do you  know such great alternative informant? Are  you a practitioner?  My email is  For, I am going crazy with dizzy head rushes before i burp. Very debilitating. Could  low B12 be the answer? 

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Edited

Thanks. I had open-heart surgery and lots of tests when the dizziness became a problem but they were all negative. It wasn’t until I Googled the additional symptoms (tingling around lips, shortness of breath, neck pain) that I came across Silent Reflux. I’m going to try dietary changes first; I drink lots of sparkling water, so that will be the first to go, plus chocolate ;(, oranges, coffee, wine. 
    • Posted

Could you send me he name? CAROLE

chf12@att.net or 323 964 2247 THANX!!

• Posted

Hi

gareth63653

I am sorry i was just browsing internet to find out issues & answers related acid reflux as I am too suffering from the same. Your throughts & issues been posted 3 years back but just want to know how are you now? any good news.

myself too suffering from acid reflux for may be around for 5 years and within last 13 months i have done gastroscopy twice in 12 months gap. in my first one they found 2 polyps. they are just normal polyps and no issues in that and the second gastroscopy found 1 small one a size of black pepper and that is too no problem. now i need to a colonscopy to see anything there in colon.

• Posted

its incredible reading this post and so many people suffering from reflux

so many are being prescribed ppi drugs which is just a mask .. its not fixing the issue and likley to cause further issues later as it sends your natural digestion off track .

so many possibles for reflux but for sure your stomoch needs fixing so see a good doctor to get stomoch - leaky gut - etc fixed ... diet is crucial

read about candida and effects

read about galbladder and effects of it not functioning right .... loads of gr8 you tube stuff out there

• Posted

I really appreciate to your comment and valuable advise. Brother i feel discomfortable almost everyday whenever i feel like pain in the stomach, chest area etc. Also i have a serious problem which is spondilosis, disc c5 & c6 in neck are narrowed that radiates to the lower back. This is for last 4 years or so. Because of this i cant figure it out for what reason these type if pain or burning sensations are pops up very often

• Posted

OMG!!!!!

I have the saaaaaaaame thing! Issues with my neck and C5/6 T8 stenosis and spondilosisisis as well as HH 2cm and reflux issues (SILENT) I cough up mucus and have pain in sternum and cough all morning. The worst thing is that i am dreamy and spacey and dizzy and almost feel drunk or high? Is this from my back or stomach. Had this for 18 months now. It's driving me MAAD!

• Posted

OMG I have EXACTLY the same.... I have herniation in C5/C6 and stenosis and spondilosisisis. Also a small HH and HORRIBLE REFLUX AND DIZZINESS EVERYDAY LIKE I AM DRUNK OR HIGH.... Exactly that feeling..... some doctors say is from neck other said is the reflux reaching my ears... which are clogged by the way.... I can't this any longer 😦

• Posted

Hi guys. I have hh, gerd, silent reflux but not much heartburn. I can feel the hh under left ribs like a pulled muscle. I find an elastic wide belt made for hernias a big help holding it. Bed head raised, I take mastic gum and pepzin and ranitidine. Refused PPI's. Avoid citrus, garlic, onions, caffeine sugar but for some strange reason home made chilli sits well ?????!!!!!!

I sort of have got used to the feeling of ernie my hernie but it is dizziness I also get. Just like you say, light headed. I feel as though I have got the wrong strength glasses (and I don't wear them except for reading). I don't have problems with my neck so that sounds right about reflux travelling up to ears. I also wonder if the vagus nerve being badly stimulated by acid has a hand in it. Can't stand it, walking around the supermarket, I feel like a zombie. Or walking which I love to do, I will wobble a bit and feel stupid, peeps must think I am drunk. I know when it happens at home,the hubs asks if I have had a glass of wine (errrr no not at 9am thank you). Feel this for you - because there is no outward sign of anything wrong, dizziness is a b***h - ruins your day 😦

Best to you all

Gwen

UK

• Posted

I have similar symptoms. I have been taking Nexium for two months and now it develops heartburn, burping, chest pain. So thanks for this, I will try B12.

• Posted

Hi Colleen, did the Kinesiologist give you that help you with reflux. Thanks.

• Posted

This is a few years late but I'll try telling you my recent experience in the hope that it will enlighten people.

I was diagnosed with gastritis/Gerd a few months ago and was put on Omeprazole 40 mg daily. It worked for a while but 5 weeks into taking it, my symptoms not only came back but they were worse, a lot worse. I was dizzy with very blurred vision that came without a warning. I did not tell my doctor that I was weaning off it and eventually stopped altogether , which was a mistake. I suffered through the terrible rebound effects, severe burning in the chest, excessive salivation, blurry vision and dizziness (more like a feeling of being off-balance, specially making sharp turns when walking) and others.

I did a drastic change in my diet which was the catalyst in my turnaround. It was a very rough 5 weeks but I stuck to my regimen. Apart from dizziness and blurred vision, which will hopefully resolve on heir own, I feel 85% better now. I continue with my bland diet of steamed/grilled fish/skinless chicken, greens, and brown rice. This seems to work and I'm hoping it will eventually heal my GERD. I have an appointment with my new MD and hopefully she'll be able to help me deal with my dizziness, which was the by-product my taking omeprazole for 5 weeks.

I hope this helps guys.

• Posted

Its been months since your last post, how are you feeling now with your stomach and dizziness/vision?

• Posted

Been long since your last post, how are you feeling now with everything?

• Posted

hey, that sounds great that the plain eating helped most your symptoms! i have a major issue with keeping to the very healthy eating. Did you sort your dizziness our?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.