dizziness, headaches, vision problems - help!

Posted , 59 users are following.

This is my first post, I've never used a website like this before, I really feel like I need some help and advice. I have read a few discussions on here but would really like some feedback of my own.

For the past 8 months I have been suffering from dizziness, slow going at first and was manageable, but I am worried that it was a warning sign as things are getting worse.

When it first started I would get random dizzy attacks when moving my head (feel like the room around me was spinning or I was still moving when I wasnt) I went to the doctors and he explained it could be from my operation and my body getting over the anaesthetic, just a keyhole op to take appendix out. He recommended I wait and if it didn't improve within a month then to go back. I returned a month later as the symptoms hadn't improved and was put on some antibiotics to "relieve" the symptoms. When this didn't work I again returned only to be given a higher dose of them for a further month . I was then told to wait yet another month without them in the hope it would relieve the dizziness completely.

Then it started to get worse. My vision has changed and not become as clear almost a bit cloudy and I see flashing lights sometimes, I have had my eyes tested and even been to the hospital for a detailed eye examination -nothing. Then around 4 weeks ago I began getting migraines with aura and have had one a week since it started and the dizziness has become constant. I notice it really bad when I am still and concentrating and it feels as if everything around me is moving and also when I move then stand still a wave of dizziness comes over me and completely throws me off balance almost as if the ground is moving , I never fall but always feel like I am going to. I returned to the doctors last and have now been asked to get blood tests which are in 2 weeks ad have been referred to a neurologist which I have been told can take up to 8 weeks.

This week it has been extremely bad and has reduced me to tears a number of times as it really frightens me. I have had a constant headache sort of behind my eyes which feels dull and almost like there is pressure in my head, for the past 3 days and painkillers aren't helping. Every time I walk, move, or even am still the dizziness appears. It is affecting my work as I am unable to be at my computer a long time due to my vision. I was told to go back to the doctors should things get worse and plan to go tomorrow evening to out of hours. I really don't think that I can wait 8 weeks for a date to see the neurologist and feel it needs to be done sooner. I have been reading about my symptoms and have no clear steer on the possibility but I am really worried at the possibility of a brain tumor as a family member passed away of this last year.

I think it's important to note that I am 21, and generally eat well and exercise regularly (not as much as of late due to severe dizziness) At the end of last year I suffered from panic attacks, costochondritus and anxiety following the loss of a close family member. Once I went back to work January this year things improved hugely on that front. I understand that anxiety is often linked to dizziness but I am struggling to believe this has stemmed from that. I now only suffer anxiety of fear of these feelings returning.

If anyone could please shed some light on what they think this could be or if anyone is going through similar I would be so grateful.

1 like, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

Iam 29 years old female. And faced same as u r faced. After so much struggle, i came to know all due to swelling/adenoma/tumor in my pituitary gland. Its a gland which make harmones. Ans these are non cancerous and treatable. So no need to get panic or take tension and many of them even dont require surgery if daignosed early and are of micro size. I myself have two microadenoma in my pit gland and getting treatment through medication.

It is located at the base of our brain therefore mri of brain is required.

U should consult endocrinologist.

All the best

• Posted

Hello Karishma123. I too have been dealing with such issues. I go to see en endocrinologis next month. I wonder what they will find, if anything. Please tell me more about your experience with the symptoms and the endo appt. Thank you.
    • Posted

You dont know it but you just gave me hope that i too dont have to go on with these same symtoms! Im a go and get that mri to see if what you say is whats wrong with me and get it tooken care of.
  • Posted

@ russell33416>  I just wanted to let you know that an endo doctor can also check your hormone levels and sometimes a defency can make you have these types of symptoms as well.  I have learned that lots of times, when we as people do not deal with the root of our problems or deep burried things from our past ect . . . Then they can exploed on us in the form of all kinds of things.  Even theses types of problems.  I found out I had low cortisol levels and deficient in vitamin D.  I was put on a natural hormone pill to bring back my hormone levles and I also on vitamin D.  Having low vitamin D can bring on anxiety and all kinds of feelngs, so normal stress can make you feel like you cant handle any kind of stress.  Its like your mind has blown a fuse or something.  If you dont eat, you have no energy, so when our bodies do not get what they need, again, it has no energy to perform at its best.  I have a follow up with an enod next week.  I found out my defieny of cortisol and vitamin D from a private practice who tests for these, which is why I now have to see the endo to make sure, regarding my low cortisol.  If you have any questions, let me know. Thanks.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, i will keep that in mind as well, im making an appointment wit my primary doctor, ill let em know about what u told me and make that an option to try out as well.
  • Posted

Hi this sounds similar to a problem I am having. I have been told its vestibular migraines but not really given advice.

I have had so many doctor appointments and finally saw a ent doctor who diagnosed this but since I saw him I have gotten alot worse and my doctors admit themselves they are not equipped with the knowledge to advise me as it is not a very common problem.

You need to ask to be referred to hospital I have asked to be referred again as I am really struggling to cope. If you are in the uk.....you must ask. I felt awkard being so forward but at the end of thr day you are paying into the nhs and you are ill and need the help you deserve.

So far I have had ten weeks of work and I am certain I will lose my job soon. This scares me alot.

If I am honest I was feeling like I just can no longer cope but it helps knowing there are other people in the same boat as me.

Can I ask do you find it hard to look at pattern and lines for example blinds?

• Posted

Hi, I have been really worried about myself because I have many of the same symptoms and I'm only 14. My parents don't think it's serious so I haven't seen a doctor. I've only had an anxiety once before because I am very good at calming my anxiety before it gets to that breaking point. But my symptoms aren't as bad. I have frequent head aches and the odd migraine every now and then. Sometimes I'll be moving and all of a sudden sharp pain goes through my brain and the world spins while my vision goes almost completely black and my head feels like it's shaking or vibrating really fast (but sometimes my head doesn't vibrate when it happens). I have sleeping problems like my brain doesn't want to go to bed at night. One time the world seem to be spinning badly and I got really nauseous and got a sudden headache all while I thought I was going to throw up. It was so bad that I cried myself to sleep (that is when I actually managed to fall asleep). It worries me a lot, and I don't know what to do. Can someone please give me some advice?
    • Posted

Good mornin. Have you heard of vertigo? Go to YouTube and look up vertigo. Look up the signs and symptoms, as well as other people's story on that topic. I too have delta with that. There are times when stress, worry, anxiety can tie into certain kinds af vertigo. You mentioned head aches. That plays a role as well with miners disease. I didn't spell it right , I know. This is when calcium crystals build up in the ear canal and get lodged into the tube in your ear, causing dizziness. Look that up. Ask your mom to take you to your family doctor and let your doctor know you are experiencing these symptoms. Don't just push what you're experiencing,away. You can advocate for your own well being so to speak. Just really explain to them that you need to, or would like to see a doctor.
    • Posted

You need to go and see your GP because headaches and nausea should ALWAYS be investigated.  Hope you feel better soon but please let your parents know what you are going through and say you want to see a doctor.
    • Posted

I agree with Linda0001 -

Vertigo.  Vestibular dysfunction or BPPV.    

• Posted

I having exactly the same problems . I tried everything possible almost but nothing helps. I know I'm having anxiety and panic attacks. I have them at my job mostly . The moment I got there everything starting. That's why I know that is the problem. My doctor said he can give me some pils for that,but I don't want chemicals and I'm going to try one think calls kava kava . It's natural and have the same effects like the chemicals .I will tell you if works,just one think is little bit hard on your liver . That what they saying, but from all of the test I did I'm completely healthy I don't drink use drugs or anything else. I eat good and I'm vegetarian .

My suggestions is to not worry about the little thinks positive thinking and more fun ,find a hobby go out in nature, meditation and some reiki !

• Posted

Omg, I've been looking everywhere for someone who felt the same way! I know I shouldn't but I have been googling my symptoms and nothing was coming up, until I came across this forum and all of the symptoms are the same. I am sick to death, I feel like I can't lead a normal life anymore. I am constantly dizzy, I keep having hot and cold flushes (mainly hot), headaches. I am scared to walk anywhere incase I get too dizzy and fall over. I also have anxiety and it is driving me insane. I haven't had many tests done, just blood tests. I am going on holiday in September to Canary Islands and I am so nervous about if I start feeling dizzy and having an anxiety attack! I think I need to see my GP to run some further tests and see if there is anything I can do. This forum has helped alot though and made me think it may not be anything too serious! Thank you
    • Posted

Hi sophie00972 - 

I also wonder if you have been diagnosed with Vertigo?  Or Vestibular Dysfunction?  (BPPV)    

Just wondering...   

• Posted

Hi Sophie - 

Have you been treated for Vertigo?      From what you are saying,  that is my #1 guess!    

Please let me know how things turn out.   

• Posted

Hello,I think I know what you have.Vertigo. Also called BPPV.A physical therapist or physio you might call them in the UK will treat you. Might take several visits to notice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.