Dizziness more when walking

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi.

I'm really hoping someone out there can share the same or similar story.

so for The last few months I’ve suffered with dizziness that comes and gos.

I’ve put it down to my ears as I suffer with tinnitus but more recently I’ve been getting it quite bad when I’m walking or in crowded places which then causes my anxiety to go through the roof.

It’s a strange feeling that is hard to explain but it’s almost like a sharp bout of dizziness and ringing feeling in my ear then goes in seconds.

Has anyone else suffered this?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

yes i get ot too , plus brain fog and blurring of vision sometimes . I was diagnosef with vestibulsr migrainrs

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I can totally sympathize. I was under a lot of stress for a long time and I think that caused a lot of anxiety for me which in turn caused my symptoms. I have dizziness, blurry vision, clogged feeling and ringing in my ears, trouble with balance and walking for about 7 years now. Certain lights and weather changes can make it worse, and it has been hard to do a lot of things I normally did, was always pretty active before this started. I'm lucky I work from home, because I would be too dizzy to go out to work.

Sometimes I get headaches with this, but most of the time the dizziness is the worst problem. I have been through a lot of studies over the years, total ENT workup and neurology workup including MRI of the brain and brain stem, all negative. Neurologist and ENT both diagnosed me with vestibular migraine with the symptoms I have, which do fit that diagnosis, but I would say it mostly started with stress and anxiety.

There are so many causes for dizziness, but I really think anxiety plays a major part. I just read this great book, Badass Ways to End Anxiety & Stop Panic Attacks by Geert Verschaeve, which I got from Amazon.com, that really helped me deal with the anxiety and I hope will eventually help get rid of a lot of my other symptoms. I just started trying his techniques and I feel calmer and more able to deal with the dizziness.

I would say go to an ENT doc or neurologist and see what they say, but many of them don't seem to understand what we are going through. My general practitioner prescribed Xanax, which has helped me through the worst times as benzodiazepines calm the vestibular system and help with the anxiety, too.

Good luck to you, and don't give up hope, as I am sure with the right therapy and possibly medication, we can conquer these disabling symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

Thanks so much for this, I’ll definitely look into the book!

You sound very similar to me, certain weather conditions and lighting certainly make a difference. Do you find certain lights as in the dull LED type make you worse?

I test my theory with it being anxiety related as when I’m due to visit a shop or supermarket etc I tend to build myself up and I get the dizziness yet when I forget that I’m in a crowded place I feel ok.

If this was a medical type condition then surely I’d feel it all of the time?

• Posted

Laura, that is a good question, and I do think mine may be "medical", as it has gotten so much worse over the years, and I have been diagnosed with the vestibular migraines, but there are so many different things with the eyes, ears and dizziness that could be the cause.

The main reason I thought of anxiety is that many years ago I had only the symptoms that you have, and a neurologist gave me Valium which I took for a while, and that cured it at that time and for years afterwards. I was able to go off the medication when my nerves got better. Now I take Xanax which helps some, but I'd like to try other techniques so that's why I bought the book.

I'm just starting Geert's techniques and so far things seem a bit calmer. He has really good theories about how much anxiety by itself can cause these problems. He, himself, had the same symptoms we have and worse, which were all caused by anxiety, and he cured himself with his techniques and apparently a lot of other people, as well.

Like you say, being in crowded places is challenging. Yes, lights, especially fluorescent, and just bright sunlight make it way worse, which just makes the anxiety worse, and you want to get to a "safe place." My eyes do seem to set off a lot of dizzy symptoms as well as my ears.

To reassure yourself about whether or not your case has a medical component, you might want to try a good ENT doctor who can rule out a lot of things with extensive testing and/or a neurologist if things don't clear up or start to get worse.

Please let me know how you are doing in the future, and keep up your search for an answer.

• Posted

TMJ Both of yall sound like you guys need to look into it. It takes a lot of concerating on relaxing your jaw during the day and wearing a mouth guard when you sleep. Get one at your local drug store.

• Posted

I just wanted to give a bit of an update on this. I was prescribed glasses last year but after 2 weeks I just couldn’t bear wearing them more so because they were just uncomfortable. I’d only been given them to wear whilst working on computers.

I decided to try wearing them again last week to see if it helped with the dizziness at work and I’ve seen a decrease in this plus wearing them round the supermarket etc where I usually get the real bad dizziness and they’re also helping massively.

I’m not sure if there is a link but thought I’d share it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.