dizziness walking problems,head pressure and lightheaded ?

Posted , 28 users are following.

so for the past 3 years I'm suffering this kind of illness! whenever I walk outside,malls etc I always feel like my balance is not right and I always feel lightheaded or dizzy. I went to alot of doctors before i think almost 10+ I done all test, Blood test,ecg,VGN,balance test manuever test almost all test except CT scan and MRI most doctors diagnosed me with migraine vertigo,anxiety and panic attack so for the past few months I recovered and I was fine until 2 days ago it happened! the worst dizziness of my life where I didnt feel my legs and body and I felt like im spinning all over and my visions was zooming in and out and I was so scared and my mom grabbed me cuz Im falling down so we rush to ER and the Doctor gave me serc 24mg after 30 mins my dizziness lessen and the Doctor told me it was just a vertigo and I'm fine, I wanna know if there are people who experience this too? im really scared... please share your experience

2 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I used have dizzy spells when I was younger (19-21) and took meds for it, but after time they just went away.   It was until I was 34 that I had my first massive vertigo attach.  Parents rushed me to the ER etc.....  it's been a couple of weeks ince that happened and I"m feeling much better.   I started doing Crossfit again (albeit modified), but it fells like I"m the right track to full recovery.

Everyone is in the dark when it comes to vertigo & diziness and every situation is different =(      Have you done PT for vertigo?   The epley manauver helped me a lot!   I was on meclizine for like a week and a half, but I took myself off of it.  I personally didn't like the "foggy" feeling it was leaving me with.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience smile I went to doctor and yes I did some manauver and they gave me serc 24mg but I think the medicine is giving me some head pressure and making me freak out I was already fine until 2 days ago that severe dizziness ruined my life again sad
    • Posted

When you're dizzy it's hard to move around but I highly suggest moving around as much as you can.   Even if it's walking around your house / apt.   Once I started walking around more and getting more active, I started to feel better.
  • Posted

Hi there i know ot is scary stuff I we'd and still going thru these balance issues it will get better try doing vestibular balance excercises they do work twice a day vertigo is much better also got the epsey manuer worked for me I is all gross I know I do half somersault manuer on my own when feeling real bad it is on u tube how to do its great just hang in there it will get better
  • Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about all that.  Ive been dizzy for three years too.  If you were actually spinning, then its vertigo and the fact that the betahistine helped sounds like vertigo too.  Ive had a couple of episodes of vertigo but Im dizzy which is slightly different.  Its a feeling of not being right, unsteady, light headed, weird eyes, head pains, feeling sick.  Ive had blood tests, balance tests, MRI scan, seen endless ENT, neuro surgeon, neurologists and Ive been diagnosed with silent migraine.  However, recently I was told about SCM which is the muscle in your neck/head which can cause the same symptoms.  Ive studied the dizziness and realised its connected to when and how I move my head.  So I think Ive got SCM.  Ive stopped the epilepsy tablets they gave me and have requested to see a new consultant.  Still waiting for the appointment.  All this is really nothing serious, but is very debilitating and scarey.  The more scared you get the worse the symptoms get.  This then causes anxiety and panic attacks.  Ive had all that too.  Its true that the more you move around the better it gets.  If you give in to it and go to bed, it takes longer to get right.  I think these doctors dont know whats wrong, its a process of elimination, but none of the things it can be is serious.  Its just almost impossible to live with.  The body naturally heals itself over time even if the docs dont get it right.  Try and chill and relax.  It will get better than it is. 
    • Posted

Paula, it could be me your are describing in your post. from feeling of not feeling right to everything you said after that including feeling sick.  Over the yrs from time to time I would come down with benign potional vertigo.

But this is different.  For more than 9 mos I have been dealing with thiscurse.  Today I had to leave a festival I was looking forward to attending.  The heat index was 100 after 2 hrs I had to leave.  I was hot but my head felt weird too.  I also have allergys right now & try not to take the medication.  You mentioned the head & neck.  I am blessed with severe arthritis in my neck.  What is scm mean?  I am sorry we are all cursed with this stuff but your post left me know I am not crazy.  I even read it to my hubby.  He doesn't know how to help me.  Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Marie - you need to take your allergy stuff because its all connected.  You need to help yourself in every way you can.  When the pollen count is high, my head is worse.  SCM is the big muscle that sort of holds your head on.  You have one each side.  When you turn your head its the big thick one that sticks out.  You need to google it.  Theres a chiropractir dr mary somethng she studies it.  She lists all the symptoms and what damage to this muscle can cause and its identical.  I had a bad car crash in 1973 and tore all the muscles and ligaments on the left side, plus fracturing bones.  I was in a surgical collar for two years.  But they didnt have scanners then and I think mine has healed incorrectly.  My shoulders are very noticably out of sync. and left side much shorter than right side.  So everything in there all scrunched up.  It causes dizziness, sinus problems, watery eye, head pain, neck pain, hot flushes, eye problems.  Exactly the same symptoms.  The thing that did it for me, I developed a red bloodshot left eye, it didnt respond to either antibiotics or allergy stuff it was only after a holiday of resting that it went.  When I re googled SCM the red eye was mentioned.  I was over the moon.  So I went straight back to see different GP with all the notes and said I had been doing RESEARCH not googling stuff, and that I thought I had the wrong diagnosis.  He got back to me having requested an appmt with an orthopaedic consultant.  So waiting again now.  It will be three years soon.  Got an appmt with  my neurologist on 13 aug so going to take all the notes with me to show him, that will be interesting.  None of the medication Ive had in all this time has ever made the slightest bit of difference except the nortriptylene which makes you relax.  Doesnt do anything with regard to the dizziness though.  Google SCM its amazing and its only physio and stuff to get rid of it.  This is a total nightmare and the people out there without it, dont know how lucky they are. I would sooner have two broken legs any day.Went shopping my friend yesterday and the lights were horrendous.  I had to sit down with my dark glasses on, it was impossible in that shop. And I nearly panicked but I just hung on and thought you know what this is, so chill.  But the giddiness feeling is so scary because you think you are going to fall over or pass out or be sick.  I was abs fine once the trip was over and I was back home lying on my side on the bed.  All funny feelings totally gone.  So I think its clearly positional, how can migraine change once you are sat in a different place.
    • Posted

Hi Marie..I think Paula has cogent info re: neck connection to your problem..I spent years being lightheaded when straightening up, or having a lengthy conversation...not severly dizzy as with vertigo..that's just recent-  Finally went to a chiropractor and x-ray showed a badly damaged neck..Adjustments helped immensely...but you have to go with a reputable doctor...Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Paula,

I think I could have SCM also. I have neck/head pain, dizziness, nausea and a strange tingling sensation on the left side of my face and head.

This has all occurred since I went to a physio and he cracked my neck, could he have damaged my SCM????

• Posted

I feel dizzy when im standing but my vision seems to be a little zoomed out and im also light headed and i feel my body is light weighted alittle and this makes me have bad anxiety cause i think some bad was wrong with me so i would have panic attacks all the time.
    • Posted

Hi Laura

I have exactly same problem after a chiro cracked my neck!!!! How are you doing lately? Did you find solutions? I desperately need help, thanks!

• Posted

I've improved since taking Betahistine (3 months) then bang it all came back yesterday.. Unable to sit around as I had to get children to school for 8:45. 

Playground spinning around me, legs felt like jelly, fighting like mad to be normal in front of the children. On getting home, spent day sitting and falling asleep, until I had to pick them up at 5:00 pm.

On returning I felt better, it felt like I had the flu. But with loud ringing in ears and the usual symptoms I knew it was back again.

I took an extra betahistine as I had recently reduced to 2 daily. 

This morning symtoms better, however Tinnitus is just as bad. 

Hey Ho back to square one, fighting it. 

It does work, eventually.

Good luck everyone with your struggle.

Regards Pauline 

• Posted

Hello Marie,

Betahistine is a histamine nalogue. It works by improving blood flow in the inner ear, which reduces the build up of pressure. It is this pressure to the inner ear which is thought to cause nausea, dizziness tinnutis and hearing loss.

Yes I am in the UK.Hope this helps. 

Best wishes

Pauline

• Posted

Hi, I have vertigo at all the time.

I lost my low frequencies in right ear but the hearing comes back sometimes when I crack my tmj.

I've been to chiropractor and had helped some but I can't get better. At first was ok but after some hip treatments I had develop extreme vertigo dizziness hearing symptoms when just walking!

My left leg turns inward and right outward..,is probably atlas misaligned but to get it adjusted is not as easy if you have balance issues...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.