Dizziness......what's going on

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed with anxiety October 2015 and was given sertraline (Zoloft) to take which I have been taking ever since and have not had any anxiety attacks but the dizziness is still affecting me on a daily basis especially when I walk. I also have high blood pressure and take medication for that but check my bp everyday at home and levels have been good. I wish I knew what was causing this dizziness. I also had an MRI on brain done august 2015 as well as seen an ent Dr and everything checked out OK with both results. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Can it be the Blood Pressure medicne ? any Alcohol use ?

• Posted

I don't think it is the blood pressure medicine but not 100% sure its not and I don't drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes.
  • Posted

You said you have hearing loss. Do you wear hearing aids? My dizziness improved greatly after I got my hearing aids. My situation started with an ear infection that wouldn't go away and wound up being a cyst behind my eardrum (you can read my story on the pulsative tinnitus and cholesteotoma link). The removal caused irreparable damage to the bone. Vertigo and dizziness were my norm almost all of 2015. My hearing aids and physical therapy at a balance clinic have saved my life and my sanity. Hang in there and keep us posted. 
    • Posted

Hello Mary. How are you ? No I haven't got any hearing aids yet cause I heard they was expensive. I am sorry you went thru what you did and happy that you got to the bottom of your dizziness. I also have tinnitus everyday and ENT Dr told me that was coming from having hearing loss in both ears.
  • Posted

Yes, hearing aids are expensive. So worth the money though. Mine have changed my life for the better most drastically. I can't imagine being without them now. 
    • Posted

When you said u was dizzy and it stopped with the hearing aides, how much dizziness did you have ? Was it everyday ? Did you have it when walking ? Did you feel like you were floating ?
  • Posted

I started out with full on vertigo in April of last year. It was awful. I felt like a drunk person most of the time. Took dramamine or Valium depending on how bad it was. Once I had my surgery in July, it varied between vertigo and general dizziness and disorientation. The vertigo gradually lessened with the help of physical therapy exercises. Once I added in the hearing aids, the overall dizziness got a lot better. Our body balances us through sight, sound,  and touch. When one of those senses goes bad, we have to relearn how to cope with just the others. Adding back in my hearing allowed me to regain my balance back faster. After my surgery I basically had to relearn how to walk. I kept falling and running into things. I had to take a leave of absence from work at that time. I would say it was the worst year of my life. 
    • Posted

I am sorry you had a bad year and had to deal with that. I don't understand cause all my symptoms point to something going on with my ears but 2 ENT doctors said there is nothing wrong with my ears except for the hearing loss and tinnitus everyday so I am at a crossroads with all this dizziness. I just wanna be normal again.
    • Posted

I also have some hearing loss in both ears although at the start of this it was only one.  i also had tinnitus 2 years BEFORE this. So,imdon't think  that my ears are the actual cause. My belief, for me and some others is a virus,which i,woke up,with one morning (having had no dizziness whatsoever the night before,,or ever in my entire life (I was 62 when that happened), and because the gp said the usual thing 'oh it's just a virus, stay in bed,,plenty of,fluids', despite me saying, "I cant walk, i cant balance, i'm crawling to the bathroom,,it,feels,like my head is going to explode, etc etc.I Insisted   on a home  visit which they were reluctant  about, and despite

getting the 'virus' crap, i pushed  for some antibiotics which he eventually  gave me,,only 250 mg Amoxacyllin, bit they did  actually  take the edge  off.

i believe that after that when I Never have  had one day since in over 5 years then of no,dizziness,,something was damaged in my inner ear by the virus and there's no going back.

Emis Moderator comment: The post went for moderation as it included emails and addresses that looked like they were pasted in which I have removed.

• Posted

I Wrote a longish one on but the moderators don't like t for some strange reason. Be nice if they told you so you could edit it and not have to rewrite it eh? I Said that basically i had very little wrong with ,my ears when this all started.  only slight tinnitus for a couple,of years.  Bit Like others on hereI woke  up,one morning with a terrible feeling in my head, like,it was going to explode,, i couldnt walk, only crawl,to,the loo.  i had,to,push to get a home visit from gp, a locum showed up, said, "virus", stay in bed, fluids, blah blah. I,pushed for a ant b's  incase it was a bacterial,infection as i felt so,ill, never had a virus like it!   The anti b's took the edge  off be it all they were the weakest ones and only a weeks supply.  Up until then I had never ever had dizziness amd believe,,like,others, that it probably was a virus, but because wasn't   treated it damaged something in my Vestibular system and its too late now. My hearing has deteriorated since this, but I believe,completely my ears have nothing to,do with the cause.
    • Posted

I Didnt paste any email addresss as iMdon't know how to,paste. 
  • Posted

Don't really know what to say as I am just as lost in the dark with this as many people. I get my attacks in the morning when I have been up about an hour and gone downstairs. It usually lasts about 2 hours , sometimes longer but once it goes that's it for that day and I can carry on the rest of the day. On the odd day it dose not happen and now and then ie can go away foe a couple of weeks. It drives me mad. Can't make plans or even function properly.
    • Posted

Hello angiegirl. I understand what you mean. I don't like going out of the house at all cause when I get out in public I have attacks even when me and my husband go out to eat sometimes I can't sit there and enjoy a meal so we have to leave and I hate that. I just wanna get better so I can go back to work and live a normal life. Hope you feel better soon cause this is a vicious cycle.
  • Posted

I have had ear infections and sinus infections my whole life and so have struggled with temporary bouts of dizziness and vertigo for years.  But it always went away. 6 years ago I had nose surgery to repair a deviated septum which cut down the number of infections considerably.This time the extreme vertigo never went away even after the ear infection supposedly cleared up. It took 3 months to find the cyst. After it was removed and I had supposedly completed my recovery, the dizziness and vertigo remained an issue. My ENT at the time told me it wasn't vestibular and to go see my regular doc to get a meds check. I hit rock bottom with depression and anxiety.None of this was an issue before the ear infection. How could it not be vestibular?? Luckily my husband had a deaf student who recommended her audiologist who redid my testing and validated my hearing loss and set me up with my current balance clinic and physical therapist who is amazing. After more extensive tests, she also confirmed my balance issues and has developed a plan for me. After that my recovery was rapid. I dumped my ENT entirely and plan to go to one recommended by my therapist since the recurrence of cysts is common. I felt so marginalized by my first ENT who acted as though it were my fault I wasn't recovering as expected. I documented all the bruising and falls and kept a clear record of my progress. Once I got the hearing aids, my life changed even more drastically but this time for the better. 
    • Posted

That's a lot of good information and I am gonna look into the hearing aides for myself as well as getting my eyes checked too. I also am wondering if I should go to a different ENT doctor and be rechecked because I just can't believe all the symptoms I have is not ear related I mean when I Google dizziness while walking and tinnitus it always shows ear issues. I am so glad that your better, wish I would get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.