Dizziness......what's going on

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed with anxiety October 2015 and was given sertraline (Zoloft) to take which I have been taking ever since and have not had any anxiety attacks but the dizziness is still affecting me on a daily basis especially when I walk. I also have high blood pressure and take medication for that but check my bp everyday at home and levels have been good. I wish I knew what was causing this dizziness. I also had an MRI on brain done august 2015 as well as seen an ent Dr and everything checked out OK with both results. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

And just to solidify my appreciation for my hearing aids, I forgot wear them to an appointment and grocery shopping trip the other day. I was disoriented and overwhelmed immediately. When I got home and put them in, I felt better. It is at least worth a conversation, but you need the right audiologist. My first one didn't do near the tests that my current one did. 
    • Posted

Is There any chance you can tell,us which tests you did have at your audiologist?? To,compare when immake an appointment i can ask ifthey do  them??
    • Posted

My first audiologist did the typical beeps under headphones and then added stati. Plus I had a basic spoken word test done also. She probably did a hearing test five times or more. She also did my initial balance testing where I am wearing a visor and following lights with just my eyes. There were also components where I had to sit up or recline quickly and one which she didn't complete where she blew air into my ears. My current audiologist not only did the typical tonal hearing test and the spoken word test,  but also did a lot with different kinds of background noises and voices. Part of what we discovered was that I had not only lost some basic hearing but I also lost my ability to sort through voices in a crowd. I am still working on that one. The new Balance clinic did all the original tests but also did a lot with me standing with eyes closed and on different surfaces. They also test me regularly in a booth where I am strapped in so I can't fall. I have a screen in front of me in which I am attempting to keep an object within a square while things change around me or under me. The walls move and so does the floor. My ability to balance and recover quickly when I do "fall" improves the more I work the box. 
    • Posted

Oh okay thamks yes i' e had all those,too. Th balance ones were with ENT as well as audiologists.  Guess t's just trial,and error, amd who,you see onmthe day as they are all different and have their own views
    • Posted

My physical therapist also has me do different activities involving looking up and down and side to side while walking. Sitting up and lying down, doing it with my head turned. And she watches my eyes for my reaction and can accurately gage my dizziness from that. And then she pushes me harder. If I do well  or it seems too easy she pushes me to another level. It feels really hard pushing through sometimes but in the end I continue to improve. 
  • Posted

I know how u feel, they keep saying mine is anxiety but I'm only anxious because I'm dizzy, headaches, head pressure and a general weird head feeling, I have had 2 clear ct scans, seen ent twice, scans on my neck, echocardiogram, 24hr heart monitor, bloods the list is endless and still they don't know what's causing it, I do feel anxious but only because of how I feel if you know what I mean?! I feel quite scared at the moment that something is being missed, I can't stand for long periods of time and when I walk I have to hold on to walls at times or even crawl just so I don't get the dizziness, I've been like this since June 2 months after my son was born, it's really getting me down so I know how you feel I really do, I am in the uk though so our healthcare is different to yours xx
    • Posted

Hello Emma. I really feel for you cause everything that your feeling I am feeling it too. I can't stand for long periods of time either and when I walk I am dizzy so have to stop and sit or lay down. I try and get some exercise in daily but its hard to when you feel so off balance. I have health anxiety cause I am always worried I am just gonna die any day now and I hate feeling like this. I have an appt to see a psychiatrist at the end of this month and plan to make an appt to see an eye doctor to check that condition called vertical heterophoria which we have I believe almost all the symptoms. Hope you feel better soon. Is the insurance there good or what ? I am in the united states and our insurance is okay depends on what company you get it with. Hope to hear from you soon.
    • Posted

You sound just like me, we don't need health insurance in the UK we have a NHS (national health service) which is free for everyone however the downside is long waiting lists, we can pay to go private where you are seen usually within a week but it costs a lot of money!! I am going to book a private mri scan this week which will cost me about £300 which is a lot but unfortunately money talks when you want things done!

How are you feeling today? I've been terrible very dizzy even happening now when I am sittings down I am not getting a break from it at all anymore and it's getting me down, I just don't know what is going on I am so tired all the time to which is horrible, I have just finished a course of vitamin b12 injections but they don't seem to be working yet anyway, I'm pretty sure that I might be lacking in iron as I am so tired but who knows all I know is I'm getting worse as time goes on not better xx

• Posted

Hello Emma. Its very nice to hear from you. Insurance is only free in the states if you get medicaid thru the welfare system and you have to be pregnant or have kids under 18 . My husband has insurance thru his work so that's what I have and its not cheap but a law was passed here that if you don't have insurance you can get penalized about $695 u.s dollars so we make sure we keep insurance.

I am feeling dizzy today as well and I am laying down but if I was sitting or standing I would still be dizzy. I really wish we both could figure out what is going on with us cause I wanna go back to work after being out of work for 2 years now but I am afraid I will have anxiety attacks and get dizzy but I got to try to work so will try and find me an office job so that I won't be walking around cause I get more dizzy when I walk.

Hope to hear from you soon. Take care.

• Posted

I have health insurance too....but the doctor I am seeing now doesnt accept and there is no headache center that accepts my plan....I did not knoe it was that much in the US if you didnt have health insurance????  
    • Posted

Hello Rita....yes it is that much and I think its rediculous but nothing we can do about it. My husband pays $350 a month for insurance for just me and him and that is better than being penalized for $695 if you don't have insurance.

How are you feeling today ?

• Posted

Well, with our neew President coming in we will see what happens.....pulled my lower back this morning  hurts but moving very slowly lol.......had two days bad .......not really dizziness...extremely off balance...could stand etc....I believe its withdrawals from Gabapentin....right now not bad....this is so messed up........but we do what we can.......I pray we all get well...........Hope you are managing
    • Posted

Yeah we will definitely have to see what happens with the new president . sorry you pulled your lower back and hope u feel better soon. I have been taking sertraline for almost 4 months now and have not had many anxiety attacks lately but still dealing with the dizziness and off balance when walking .

Yes we do what we can and also wish we would all get well as many suffers from this . take care

• Posted

I only ask as i know two presidents  have tried to get  social medicine introduced there, but failed. Have friends there (And have lived there for a while too myslf) and they reckon it will never happen.  i'm the same thanks michel. no changes. Sadly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.