Dizzy and off balance

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello everyone . Just a bit concerned , as today my anxiety has gone into overdrive . I have kept feeling off balance and all I can explain as a swimmy head . It’s very disconcerting and makes me think all sorts is going on . I have had this at times , but it’s always cleared . I am nearly 51 and still have regular periods . My last one was a week ago that only lasted 3 days , but was extremely heavy and painful . Any thoughts please , Jane X

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jane, I get this too, seems to coincide with my anxiety - or perhaps is the cause. I get this oddly detached feeling, like my head is in a bubble. Dizzy, ears feel clogged. Sinus headache. All seem to happen at the same time. Sometimes I get so nervous about it my stomach feels weak. Not fun! Decongestant helps my ears, but I can’t take if very often. My cardiologist said Afrin nasal spray is ok. Exercise helps too. 
  • Posted

Hi Jane,  My dizzy head feels like I am constantly walking on an elevator or a boat. I feel like I’m walking sideways in a dream.   I am 41 in peri since last year.  Anxiety, Irregular periods.  Dizzy and fatigue plagues me still.  I got everything checked out and i am healthy.  I had to go on an anti depressant to calm my anxiety.  The dizziness has been a little better.  So sorry, it just sucks.
    • Posted

What antidepressant do you take and has it any side effects?
    • Posted

hey dora, i think we chatted on another topic...I’m on lexapro...6 wks now.  Ask me anything! 
    • Posted

Side effects suck plain and simple.  

First week nausea

2nd week exhausted dizzy

3rd increased anxiety 

4-now a little better.  Still no energy, but i have been able to drive and haven’t been laying around as much.  As you can see the side effects are pretty much what we’re dealing with in peri anyways.  

• Posted

Ah yes. I thought we had chatted previously. Thanks Lou!

I've been prescribed Sertraline but still on fence about taking it.

I'm trying to manage my anxiety as best I can but it is hard.

Perimenopause symptoms are awful and make every general symptom worse.. .

• Posted

Agreed!  No antidepressant in the world can take this peri hell away.  But, if it helps a little give it a try...low and slow...you can always come off.  Honestly, i am still dragging, but i am having more ok days.  Take good care!  😀

• Posted

Hi Dora! How have you been feeling? I am still dizzy and tired all the time. I stopped lexapro 3 months in...was making me worse.

• Posted

Is anybody else’s blood pressure on the lower end?  I swear that contributes to this dizzy business.
    • Posted

Omg!  I know...i was at the dr yesterday bp was 100/80... they also took blood, i came home and collapsed in bed.  Don’t ask me how i drove.  Dr does nothing unless bp is high.  
    • Posted

Mine has been 96/80 before. Doctor told me that it's better lower than higher in one sense, but can be problematic. They don't consider this low. 90 and below is. Madness..

My head swims when it's in low 100's so you can imagine what it's like in its 90's!! I felt terrible.

They only tell you to drink plenty of water and that's it.

I've read that honey is good when blood pressure is low.

• Posted

If honey is good...then call me Winnie the Pooh!  I’ll try it!  😀

• Posted

I take metoprolol for svt and have to watch my BP because it drop. It’s usually 110/75 but I can feel when it’s dropped lower. Fatigue and dizziness set in fast. My doctor said drink lots of water and increase sodium intake. That helps, but is harder than I thought. I’ve gotten out of the habit of using salt. 
    • Posted

My sodium is low and I was incredibly dizzy before going on the patch .... so go figure there is no rhyme or reason to this .... it’s ALL bloody hormones !! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.