dizzy before bowel movement

Posted , 84 users are following.

Hi All

I know this probably isnt the right place but may be related to anxiety.

For about 3 months I've been getting spells of dizziness and nausea. Not always before bowel movement but very often. After I have emptied my bowels the dizziness and nausea seems to subside after 10 mins or so.

I was thinking IBS but I can tolorate all kinds of food.

I went to my gp today for the dizziness (along with a few other symptoms) and I'm being checked out for autoimmune disease. Slightly different topic but bloods will be taken on Monday. 

What I want to know is, does anyone else have the dizzy/nauseous issue before bowel movement? It's very unnerving when it happens and I've had no answers so far

Thanks

9 likes, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yeah, I've been feeling this way for like two weeks, it was horrible. I told a friend who's about to become a doctor, and she told me she thought those are the symptoms of a panic attack or just anxiety, a lot of anxiety. She told me I was probably repressing pain of some sort. Her theory was that I felt better after I pooped because the nervous system is divided in two: parasympathic and sympathic. One of the two regulates emotions and the other one the general working of the organs. And when you poop the nervous system in control of the intestine and other organs starts working, but when you are not eating or pooping, the other nervous system takes control and your emotions are in control of you. She told me to let go whatever was worrying me. And she was right. 

Normally whenever something afflicts me I cry and talk to people about it. But this time I was on holidays when I received really bad news about a subject in college. So I pretended everything was fine and that was when the symptoms started. Yesterday I cried all morning about it and told my father (which was the really big issue, because he pushes me really hard and I was so afraid of disappointing him) and I instantly felt better. Today I feel amazing and the dizziness has evaporated. I just thought I'd tell this to you guys, maybe it helps you to know it might be psychological. In my case it would have never occurred to me it was psychological and not physiological.

• Edited

I have this too I thought I was the only one ! I love this forum so much because everybody has the same symtoms it's extremely crazy especially when you dernt speak up about things like this to find other people have it too I also get weak fuzzy legs x
  • Posted

This is great, I am so happy for this forum! I also felt very alone with this issue! smile

I had this very similar symptoms also: I feel very dizzy and fainting and when that happens my heart beat is a bit slower (felt like low blood pressure) and when it passes it goes faster (felt like high BP), I got very scared the first times this happened, I knew it couldn´t be a pregnancy related thing (never been through pregnancy), so all other options were negative and ver frightening because all I could think of first was a heart related issue.

Then I start reading, also because the doctors I saw didn´t really knew what was going on. This was on and off since last Oct., there were months when I didn´t fell it at all and others when it was very hard: Never daily but maybe up to 5 fainting like spells and rapid beating in an afternoon (the worse one on Nov 9, my birthday :S ). I decided then to see a cardiologist; he says my heart is OK, and it´s being a vbictim of something else. He wanted to rule out a GI thing first and gave mi Omeoprazol and Metoprolol. Metoprolo has worked for my heart, now I do fell very dizzy but my heart is rather normal like (but I have gain weight and I can barely concentrate)

And that´s another thing, I feel tired all the time, sleepy and when I wake up I feel still very tired or with a slight headache that stays the whole day, I have recently find out that is not actually normal, but had that since I can remember is just that I feel now its worse, i really don´t feel like resting at all, and of course is very frustrating. I take iron and vitamis supplements, I´m not actually sure they work.

Then I went to an endocrinologist and turns out the only thing out of place is that I have very low cortisol level and that can cause dizziness, but I surf the internet very often and I can seem to find a relation between the fainting like and the sudden urge to pee or poop; for me is with both but and it is not every time, I mean, I there are entire days when I can go to the bathroom very normally an in schedule, but then during the late afternoon or midd morning I would have this heavy dizziness; and the worse is: it waked me up at night!!! I was never the kind of person who would wake up in the middle of the night (at least consiously) at all, and now I wake up sometimes with the urge to pee, then pee and then lay down and I start feeling that heavy dizzyness again (I imagine it happen a first time when I was sleeping and then I only feel this secuels)

I have been on cortisol only two days and really look forward any improvement... I don´t know what to do, if you have any ideas, suggestions or contribution I would gladly appreciate it (I will definetly try what the girl´s Dr. frien advice her to do, we all have stress and sometimes it just goes over the top) Thanks in advance for any kind of info. Hope we all feel better soon.

• Posted

I am having the same problems as you people and it has been 5 months now. 

Also I've been getting spells of dizziness with verry little headache. Sometimes I have too much burping and feels shakey. Sometimes I feel a lump in my throat because of excessive burping.  Also I felt the ringing ear effect and slight pressure feeling in the head.

Though I am not taking any proper medicine but I am too worried about my health. 

Dont really know what to do ... Is this all anxiety problem?

It it acidity problem?

Have you got any solution?

​Please do reply.

• Posted

Suvadip I get all of the above you mentioned I have only just come to the conclusion it's anxiety and acidity mixed im on no medication for either but been battling both very severe for a year now I have just been sicky from acid right now it's amazing that this post came up when I was on here looking for the same thing the feeling in throat is definitely a reflux thing which anxiety then makes it worse x
    • Posted

I'm having those symptoms now, did you find out the cause?
  • Edited

I sometimes too have many of the symptoms mentioned here. Just got past an episode a while ago. Started suddenly feeling dizzy, strange pain in the middle of the upper part of my stomach just below my breast into my back (I have no gall bladder), vision started fading, sweating and nauseous. I usually feel quite hungry before this happens so I try to eat thinking my blood sugar is getting too low then the need to go to the bathroom hits. Start feeling better 10-15 mins later.

I also have bouts of terrible anxiety quite often and am prone to panic attacks occasionally. This is all very scary and makes me terribly worried. I haven't seen a doctor as of yet since I have no insurance right now but the stress from these episodes only makes the anxiety even worse. There's never any warning and have been lucky this has happened at work yet because I feel so weak and bad when this happens I could never stay at work. Is anxiety truly that powerful that it can cause such debilitating symptoms? It's starting to affect every aspect of my life and it's getting depressing.

• Posted

Vitaminn D .lots of water and a regular digestion helped me feel my self again.
    • Edited

Hello Teresa,

Reading your post here, made me feel much better.... Thank you, for sharing with us here! I too, have (no Gall bladder) and feel amazing most days. I have to add that I have been doing the Paleo lifestyle now for over a year.... and feeling more than AMAZING everyday. I do believe these moments are indeed related to major stress and nothing more. I will share with you my experience yesterday. I've had a lot of "family" stress lately and not able to escape its feeling over me, its really hard when its someone you love. Anyway - yesterday I was out shopping for Christmas & I was feeling great, but I needed to potty and I found a bathroom quick! Before I got there, I started feeling dizzy & faint, weak & very HoT a super flush of heat over took me. I stripped off my clothes and sat down in only my bra. I was sweaty, weak and then, right after I got cold and felt normal. I finished my moment, got dressed, wash my hands put back on my gloves & left the store. When I got to my car, I sat there in shock?? I had to strip my clothes off??? I'd never gotten that Hot before?? I had some Water in the car and within a few mintues I felt like myself again. It was the strangest potty moment I'd ever had & I was very weird at the time. Like I said, I've been doing the Paleo lifestyle & normally feel amazing all the time. I do believe it was the added stress & the fact I hadn't gone to the bathroom in a couple of days. Maybe it was pushing on the nerves like the Dr. friend said in the post above. I hope this helps you Teresa, you are not alone & it seems I am not either. Sam

• Posted

If you can't go to the doctord for something try saint johns wort. It acts like an antidepressant but make sure you can take it if you are on other pills. and chamomile teas calms the stomach down.

• Posted

Hi, I also suffer from these same symptoms and yes, anxiety and panic attacks can be a tremendous burden on those who have them and those who are in their every day lives. I have been having them for years now. My SO is getting about as tired of hearing about it as I am experiencing them.. They affect me at all times of the day, at work, at home, while driving.. I'm still searching for answers and am very happy in a selfish way to see so mainly others with the same concerns and issues. you know what they say, "misery loves company!" All joking aside, I hope you have found a cure for your ailments or at least a way to cope with them.

I have found that meditation has helped me learn to clear my mind easier when it all becomes too overwhelming. Stretching also helps to relieve stress in my neck and shoulders when the anxiety starts to build, causing me to yawn which also releases stress. I wish you well and hope you feel better!😊

• Posted

I just saw a neurologist in Omaha and was surprised to find out that these symptoms describe a condition called Vestibular Migraines, which many times aren't accompanied by the headache. He put me on a beta blocker and already having way less episodes. PLEASE look it up, it could be your problems too.

• Posted

Hi there

I had to check to see if maybe I had written the post, I have the same exact symptoms. I know this post is ancient but if you are still around can you tell me how you're doing these days? did you ever find a solution?

• Posted

I have the exact same symptoms. Did you ever find out anything that helps with this? thanks x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.