Dizzy spells when I stop drinking

Posted , 15 users are following.

If i dont drink for a day or two, i feel fine in myself and start to feel my energy coming back, but every now and then i suddenly go very dizzy and either nearly fall over or i start to panic. Is this a normal side effect of not drinking? And is there anything i can do to stop these dizzy spells or ease them? Apart the obvious, not drinking in the first place.

I am trying to finda counsellor to help with my drinking, and am trying things like meditation, however it's very early days and I'm struggling.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What is the pattern of your drinking Kristina? How many days are you drinking for before you have those two days without drinking? It is certainly not a side effect of NOT drinking but could be due to withdrawal from alcohol.
    • Posted

It can be anything from 3-10 days of drinking 2 bottles of wine a day. Then i stop for a few days and that's when i experience these dizzy spells. They just happen so quickly and i normally have to sit down for a while after.
  • Posted

Hi Kristina , i used to get spells like that when i stopped drinking for a few days- especially after a heavy session over a few days - i asked a Dr about it years later and he reckoned it was probably related to my blood presure - i hope this is of some help to you Kristina -
  • Posted

I also had spells like that. For me it was caused from high  blood preasure and high sugar levels ( I also drand about 2 large bottles of wine a day)

Since I had my last drink about 8 weeks ago they have stoped, and now my levels are back to normal

So hang in there it is all worth it smile

• Posted

Thank you guys you've all been really helpful!

I've wwondered if I should see my doctor, if it's worth it. I'm already seeking counselling privately, aa isn't for me, so not sure if they will habe anything to offer me. Any advice? Any is appreciated

• Posted

The dizziness is a physical symptom that won't be helped by counselling. Yes, best to see your GP.

I would guess that it is the transition from drinking to not drinking which is causing a problem.

AA isn't for everyone, although I wouldn't criticise it as it helps a lot of people. Not all alcohol counselling is based on the AA 12 Steps model so hopefully you can find something which suits you better.

• Posted

Yes i know the dizzy spells won't be helped by counselling, and wouldn't criticise aa as i know people who it still helps today. It's just not for me.

Thank you for your help.

• Posted

Hi kristina! I agree with sue, sugar levels etc, it will pass after a few weeks of not drinking. Like you I used to drink 2 bottles of wine and more eventually. Your body is ridding itself of poison so just stick with it. Wine is very high in sugar so replace with sweet drinke, chocs, sweets, fruit etc. it will replace the sugar craving at the beginning. Good luck you...Caroline
  • Posted

And don't forget to take Thiamine and B Vitamins..very important. Ask your doctor. Best wishes, Caroline
  • Posted

Hi Kristina, Indeed these dizzy spells are a symptom of alcohol withdrawal. Please see your GP as soon as you can and I encourage you to be upfront with him/her. When my doctor or anyone else for that matter, would ask how much I drank I'd say 'Oh a couple of drinks per week usually on a Friday after work'. HA...I should have been saying...'I get drunk at least 5 times a week!' These doctors usually know of programs that are out there. Even your counsellor might know. The Alcohol Anonymous program has worked for me for that past 15 years so I hope you can find something that works for you. Many good wishes and nave give up...life without alcohol is pretty AMAZING!!
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your reply. I'll see my doctor as soon as i can and will write down how much i drink in case i can't say it, i normally say the same as you used to, one or two glasses a week.

It sounds so silly but a life without alcohol terrifies me, even though deep down i know I'll be happier without it.

• Posted

You words of years ago resonate with me today and were a real pick me up. I’m struggling with the dizziness and fatigue but refusing the alcohol quick fix. It’s really hard!
  • Posted

I know what you mean Kristina. The thought of life without alcohol IS indeed daunting!! But what I learned early in my AA meetings is to think about being alcohol free only TODAY. We can stay sober for just ONE day!! Tomorrow is tomorrow so think about just today. Apologies for being so repetitive but that's how it was drilled in to me!!! (I'm a slowwwww learner) 😊 Plse stay tuned to this forum....there's so much great information and support. Be kind to yourself ! 🌻
  • Posted

I have had the same, Kristina. When you drink, your body compensates in weird ways. If your central nervous system is soaked in alcohol for long enough, it will adapt. When you come off it you will feel vertigo.. along with other things. Have you had anxiety, tremors, or seizures? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.