Dizzy spells when I stop drinking

Posted , 15 users are following.

If i dont drink for a day or two, i feel fine in myself and start to feel my energy coming back, but every now and then i suddenly go very dizzy and either nearly fall over or i start to panic. Is this a normal side effect of not drinking? And is there anything i can do to stop these dizzy spells or ease them? Apart the obvious, not drinking in the first place.

I am trying to finda counsellor to help with my drinking, and am trying things like meditation, however it's very early days and I'm struggling.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm just re-starting sobriety.  I have been having dizzy spells like you describe.  I was thinking it was because I was drinking hard alcohol rather than beer or wine.  How did it work out for you?  

I can totally relate to the fear of letting alcohol go...unsure of what will happen (other than I know in a few days I will want to try to practice controlling it yet again...endless hamster cage for the past 21 years.  UG.  

would love an update. 

• Posted

How are you? I would encourage  you to see a psychiatrist as soon as possibe and make up a comprehensive treatment plan for alcohol dependence. Although at times it may feel like a struggle, you're by no means alone. 

• Posted

Hi,

I'm just starting on the road to alcohol freedom. Finding it very hard. Ive been drinking bottle of red wine every night for over a year or more. I was doing some research, I came across this thread on this forum. I was wondering how you are getting on. Have you quit alcohol... did your dizzy symptoms finally stop. ?? I've stopped only 6 days ago. But been having dizzy spells 2/3 days.Headaches almost like a hangover. I fell into trap of having 3 glasses of wine again last night, thinking I'd feel better. But alas today I feel worse, bad idea. Really would like to change my drinking habits.Not sure I want to totally stop altogether, but i realise I may have to stop for a while before I can think about introducing periodic social drinking. Any help & advice appreciated.

• Posted

rewarding yourself with alcohol for giving up alcohol is crazy.

take each day at a time fill the time and don't allow yourself to get bored.

eat well and things come so much easier I don't even fancy a drink anymore and all the compliments on how great I look and the energy I have now is worth all the after affects.

get help and support but don't have one drink as this will lead to a bottle? only when you have total control back can you just have that one drink

all the look in the world to you" we are only here once so don't damage your body it works hard to stay healthy and we should respect that .

• Posted

Hi Kristina

I think the best course of action would be to abstain from alcohol as you obviously manage but visit your doctor for advice.

this thing with addiction is that we as humans are our own worst enemy we abuse our body's and wonder why we feel ill or strange.

when I have up alcohol I felt crap for months then amazing ,you can't believe how great you feel and look.

but I have up . two bottles of wine a day is wrecking your body and you will get worse symptoms than dizzy spells eventually!! sorry to sound harsh but own your problem and do something about it..i wish you well and hope things turn round for you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.