DLA-PIP

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All,

Today I made the phone call to begin my own personal quest to go from dla  to pip.

I was asked if I would like my dla evidence to be attached to my claim, I agreed.

The process only took about 15 minutes, oh  the calm before the storm.

My personalised claim form will be with me within 14 days. I have sorted through my recent letters and asked for more details from my gp, I think I am ready for stage two.

Will keep you informed.

Mike.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck with this Mike. Don't forget if you need extra time to return the form they will give you an extra 14 days. Expect a face 2 face assessment because most have them. One last thing, don't forget that PIP is about the help you need, doesn't matter if you don't receive that help. There's also the reliability factor, if you can't do something regular, reliably, without pain and discomfort, you're classed as not being able to do it at all.

Need help, just shout.

• Posted

Denise I thought these messages when replying were private, I don't mean any disrespect but if you knew Michael's condition and seen him yourself you would understand why I am so annoyed, this new system is bloody unfair and unless you work for them you must agree. I'm not telling anyone to scam anyone or do anything illegal I only mention drug addicts because I work for a homeless woman's charity and see them getting it everyday when I know for 100% fact they don't have half the things wrong as they say they do.

• Posted

Hi Mike

I was on disability for 8 years and had to have a face to face PIP assessment 2 years ago, I basically broke a typical month in to best medium worst days and explained how much I could physically do on each type of day. so for example on my worst day, I cant walk more than 5 yards, stand for 2 min and need help washing and dressing. keep a copy of what you send in and refer to it in f2f interview 

I was asked in interview to do certain movements, I did 2 and refused 2 as they would have caused me pain.

hope it helps

• Posted

I found this helpful.

I have my face to face next week.

I will break down a typical month as well.

Good idea.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Mike my wife got her letter today regarding the change over for DLA to PIP and she wants to know what sort of questions they ask over the phone and was also curious about attaching DLA evidence as she thought that this would be discounted because PIP is supposed to be a completely new benefit. Regards zebra
  • Posted

During a PIP assessment it's very important not to focus on just those bad days. For PIP it's how you are for 50% of the time. It makes me cringe when i read others giving advise that they should focus purely on their bad days and i know that's not what the advise is here. It's also worth doing some research before your assessment, or even before you fill the forms out. You'll be totally amazed at the people who have no idea what PIP is all about.

If you go to an assessment and you tell them that is your worst day, when in fact it's actually not. That HCP will most likely see through you and think something like this " well if that's their worst day, then they can't possibly be as bad as they are saying" I'm not saying that's what they do say but i wouldn't put it past them.

They will ask you questions on all the descriptors and how your conditions are affected daily. Yes, they may ask you some trick questions when you least expect it. Be honest, tell them exactly how your conditions affect you without tell them your life story, of course. Be aware that during an assessment, you're being watched from the moment they/you arrive to the moment you/they leave.

Don't read into the horror stories too much because we on'y ever read that bad stories and never or very rarely the good ones. If someone has a decision they're happy with then they have no questions. They simple don't post their story on the internet.

• Posted

Hi Mike, just a word of warning in case your asked to go for a face 2 face interview, don't take folic acid and don't shave or clean yourself as I think they expect the only people to be applying for this PIP are drug addicts and benefit scammers! If you look one bit like a normal human being they'll just say no he is fine off you trot.

• Posted

I'm sorry but this is the worst advice i've ever know anyone to give. Going to an assessment, without washing, shaving, clean clothes, or without taking your medication if that's NOT what you usually do is wrong! Why be someone or something you're not for the assessment???? why do anything different than you usually do???? why put on an act??? why indeed is the question. If someone goes to an assessment and puts on an act purely to look worse than they usually do then i'm sorry but this is benefit fraud.

You mentioned scammers in your comment, well you're advising people to be exactly this...a scammer. Not the right way to go about claiming any benefit. I'm not even sure why you mentioned drug addicts in your comment either. If a person has a condition that affects there daily life then they have just as much chance to claim a disability benefit as the next person. After all, no one knows what anyone goes through only that person their self.

My advice, be yourself, tell the TRUTH, dress the way you always dress. If you use an aid to walk then use it, if not then don't use one. If you use a wheel chair then use it, if not then don't use it....end of!!

Answer all those questions with as much detail about your conditions and how they affect you as possible. Avoid answering with just a yes or no. Last but by no means least EVIDENCE EVIDENCE EVIDENCE. It's the most import thing of all. Evidence that is relevant to your conditions and how they affect you.

• Posted

I obviously am one of the few people then who is lucky enough to be granted full PIP on both counts, I am not a drug addict, I'm clean and wear clean clothes every day, in fact being clean is actually part of my life as I suffer with OCD amongst other things, I also think like Denise that advice to look dirty and rough when that's not how you normally look is like saying you are not really entitled to the benefits your applying for and your trying to scam it, just apply with honesty because believe me if you get it through lying chances are they will see through you and you will be refused

• Posted

Hey Denise it wasn't meant as a factual statement it was meant to be taken as lightly as the DWP take you and your conditions, I'm sorry but I see too many knackers getting PIP and then ride around on bicycles play football and work cash in hand and that's simply a fact, so my point is that it doesn't matter what you look like but don't go in looking like it's your best day and that is fact, because as you say they will not look at you twice before the ink of refused has dried.

• Posted

I know you're angry because of the recent Tribunal that was lost for yourself ( or someone you're posting on behalf of) BUT firstly people can and do in fact claim PIP and work, so i have no idea what that comment is all about. PIP is NOT a means tested benefit.

Secondly, people who judge others are the worst kind. No one knows what others go through behind closed doors. I claim PIP standard daily living and Enhanced mobility, do i go out....yes of course i do. Do i drive my mobility car, well yes i do that too! Do i stay in bed 24/7 ummm no because if i did then who would take care of my daughter, who has a learning disability, can't look after herself or even go outside the door alone. This hasn't stopped me claiming PIP or ESA.

Again, the advice you just gave about the way a person dresses for the assessment, is wrong!! Dress how you normally dress and don't be any different to how you normally are.

I'm sorry but your lack of knowledge of PIP really does show in every possible way.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. I had a ftf for esa some years ago and failed miserably. I actually fell for the first trick they pull. Called over to the reception desk to claim travel expenses I was instantly tested for hearing, walking, able to make eye  contact with strangers, converse with strangers and fill out forms by myself. Also after the official assessment I could take a job moving an empty box with one hand.

As Denise states-tell the truth, dress as normal and present as normal.

Many thanks,

Mike.

• Posted

Hi Mike, sorry but why did you consider it a trick, if you had know before hand what would you have done, pretended you couldn't do these tasks?? When being assessed for any benefit it's how your disability/ies effect you day to day existence, these benefits are not given out lightly the way DLA was, you only really needed a diagnosis with DLA to be awarded it.

PIP needs not just a diagnosis but it needs to effect you quite heavily,

• Posted

Hi zebra20, 

They only asked for the information as requested in the letter. They brought up the dla evidence, I only agreed to it. I did explain that I find talking on the phone difficult because of my depression and anxiety, then at the end of filling in the form I was asked if I had been hospitalised for severe depression,  which I had not. I am claiming for physical as well as mental problems.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi Mike thanks for your reply which I do appreciate, my wife has similar symptoms to yours and she wants me to speak to them on the phone on her behalf although I am not sure if this is allowed,maybe Denise could answer this for me, I was also told that you can get hold of a copy of your medical records from your GP free of charge but not sure whether this applies to hospitals as well. Take Care Mike, zebra (Tony)
    • Posted

Hi again, you can speak on your wife's behalf if you are listed on the form as her representative, if not you need to put it in writing and your wife to sign it and send it off, then you can deal with it for her.

Can I ask, is your wife suffering with dementia or mental health issues that make it hard for her to represent herself, if not what reason do you have to call on her behalf.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.