DLA to PIP and 16 year old son - DLA stopped!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help me? My son turned 16 on 23 December 2016.

I claimed for PIP, someone came to the house to confirm my son was happy for me to be his representative and as far as I was concerned, we were just waiting for the forms now to come through.

In the meantime the DLA has just stopped, he's had no pay for January! Is this normal?

Does that mean for the whole time we firstly wait for the form to come, then fill it in, send it and wait for decision, he gets no payments?

Help!!!

Many thanks

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sophie, did you have a letter asking you to apply for PIP? They don't just automatically send you the forms. You have to ring them to start the application off then they'll send you the forms. If these forms are returned by the date on the letter the DLA would have continued. It's more than likely stopped because they didn't recieve any form. The form is called "how your disability affects you"

• Posted

Hello Denise

Thank you for your help. I was asked to apply for PIP and I rang and went through the lengthy process of applying. Then was told would be sent that firm you refer to. I rang with the time frame they wanted. I am still waiting for the "How your disability affects you" form in the post. Meanwhile DLA has stopped .....

• Posted

Oh dear, the reason it's stopped is because you didn't send the form back. What you should have done is ring them and ask if they've sent the form. Your sons DLA has now stopped because of this. I would ring PIP if i were you and ask why you didn't recieve the form. I highly doubt they would reinstate the DLA now. If you ring them today form more forms to be sent once you've filled them in and they recieve them (don't forget to send your evidence with the form) they don't contact any medical people for evidence. If your son is successful with the PIP claim his money will be backdated to when you applied because his DLA has stopped.

• Posted

People I know have automatically been sent the forms to change from dla to pip . I was told they'd contact me . To change from dla to pip for my son when he's 16 in march I had to sign some things and send them off.

• Posted

In all honesty i've never known anyone being automatically sent the forms when transfering from DLA to PIP. They usually write a letter to and invite you to apply. Once you ring to start your application off they will then send you the forms.

• Posted

The form should if cone within 10days, I would ring them, also your dla should not stop unless pip have assessed you and refused, butbifbyou had no form then it's just a mix up with payment, ring dla

• Posted

DLA will indeed stop if the forms aren't returned within the time frame. This has always been true when transfering from DLA to PIP.

• Posted

Thank you both I'll give DLA a ring when I get home from work. Will let you know how I get on!

• Posted

Hello, Have you phoned the DWP and asked them why they have stopped your son's DLA?  My DLA was not paid into my bank so phoned the DWP & they told me there was no reason why my money should not of been paid. They said it would go into my bank in 5 wrking days.  I am in the process of changing from DLA to PIP but whether or not I will be sucessful all depends on the assessor who came to the house.  How the assessors can be judge & jury & make the decision if you still qualify for this disability benefit is beyond me, when doctors & surgeons are saying there are problems with mobility & care.

It sounds like you have had someone out from the DWP to make you an appointee for your son so you can handle hs affairs. Have you had the froms for the claim for PIP?

• Posted

Hi Mary, Sophie didn't get the forms in the post. When transfering from DLA to PIP if the forms aren't returned by the date on the letter DLA will stop. The reasons why you weren't paid yours were different.

• Posted

They use the evidence from dla but also still assess . Most are trained to make assumptions and tell lies. My son has autism and ADHD as well as learning disability s he was awarded he's 2nd lot of dla Dec 2016 . He's 16 in March . We had some one out to verify his dad is going to be his legal representative. But heard nothing more. I said he s just been awarded it again for 2 year. She said he'll probably not see the full 2 year but . It will be s while b4 get In touch. U watch as soon as he's 16 the letter will hit the other side of the door .

• Posted

Hi Sophie this happened to us too. My son turned 16 in the April his payments stopped. We then claimed for PIP and got refused. I then applied again on his consultants say so. We had a PIP assessment on Wednesday and awaiting the results.

Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.