DLA to PIP and 16 year old son - DLA stopped!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help me? My son turned 16 on 23 December 2016.

I claimed for PIP, someone came to the house to confirm my son was happy for me to be his representative and as far as I was concerned, we were just waiting for the forms now to come through.

In the meantime the DLA has just stopped, he's had no pay for January! Is this normal?

Does that mean for the whole time we firstly wait for the form to come, then fill it in, send it and wait for decision, he gets no payments?

Help!!!

Many thanks

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello everyone

Thank you all for taking the time to reply today it's so nice to know you're not on your own.

In late November we got notification that His DLA was stopping. We then got a letter to say to claim for PIP not long after his birthday and that we had by 21st Jan to do it. I left it about a week (because I just couldn't get through!!). Then managed to talk to somebody which took about half an hour - he was repeating everything I said like pulling teeth! He then said would send the form - how your disability affects you. This was last Friday - I have had this form today. In the meantime his DLA payment that I would have expected for January should have come in this week - it hasn't.

After waiting on phone for half an hour tonight to DLA, I gave up and will try again first thing on the morning!

• Posted

Hi Sophie DLA for under 16 year olds automatically stops at 16, in theory you should have rung the DWP about 3/4 months prior to his birthday and requested the how your illness effects you form which would have then transfer him over to PIP, as you have been told you need to forward up to date medical reports and anything else you have to support your claim, I will say that compared to DLA you will find the PIP application much more in depth and I would say that the criteria is harder than DLA ever was so be prepared for the outcome to not always be what you would hope for.

Also remember to photo copy everything you send in and send by recorded delivery.

• Posted

Hello

Thank you for your help. Looks like I've mucked up then with this. The sooner I can get this PIP form done then and sent off the better. If he doesn't get it that's quite a bit of money he'll lose its almost like they're implying once your child hits 16 their disabilities lessen?! Frustrating

• Posted

They should have invited u to fill the form in , it dosnt surprise me that they havnt . They do use evidence from his dla .just go through the application and assessment if need be u can always Appeal if the reject it .
    • Posted

Hi I've just spoke to dla about my son this morning and what they said was, because his award was giving on the 26 of Jan 2017 for 2 year they could still realistically pay it till just b4 his 17th birthday. He said pip will send a letter inviting us to fill there form in and an assessment may be carried out only then depending on there our come would it stop or continue. He said it would not automatically stop when he's 16 the process above has to take place first. He did also say that pip do not use the any info that the dla have, as it's a completely new claim and pip is based on a points system. So he said all fresh evidence would have to be sent . So I just have to wait for the pip form could be any time after he's 16 according to the dla . ? Hope the info he provided me is correct

• Posted

You were wrongly informed about the DLA info being used for PIP evidence. It CAN be used. When you eventually ring to start your claim off they'll ask you if you want this info to be used for the PIP evidence. They don't actually send it to you but they will use it. Amazing isn't it how much the DWP either lie or don't know.

• Posted

R right interesting so what about the rest of the info he gave me ? Can't trust these people.

• Posted

All the other info is correct. They'll write to you asking you to apply. You then ring PIP to start the claim off. They'll send you the forms, fill them in and return them. Providing they recieve them before the date stated his DLA will continue until a decision has been made. An assesment will most probably be needed, not many people manage to get a paper based decision with PIP, although it has been know. Once a decision has been made DLA payments will stop and if successful PIP will start about 4 weeks after DLA stops. You can send in more evidence of course, the more the better.

• Posted

I dread an assessment as he has autism and ADHD he feaks out when change or strangers try to interact with him. I'll ask if he can be assessed at home to keep his stress level s down.

• Posted

You may well need a letter from his GP for a home assessment stating the reason why.
    • Posted

When I returned the forms for PIP I got a phone call telling me there had been a cancellation from someone who had a home visit & would I accept a home visit the next day instead of having to wait. I never requested a home visit when I filled the forms in but I was pleased I had a home visit rather than have to go to the medical centre for an assessment.  My son sent a letter from his doctor, who had requested that he had a home visit.  They refused & offered to send him a taxi. We declined the offer of a taxi & a family member took him to the assessment.  Needless to say he was unsuccessful.  We are in the process of appealing.

• Posted

Hi Sophie, having the same problem.  My son turned 16 on 6th January and his DLA was stopped as well as my carers allowance.  DLA is supposed to be extended for 6 months whilst you apply for PIP which I am doing at the moment.  I am going to make a complaint tomorrow because I cannot wait weeks for them to restart it.
    • Posted

I spouting dla last week, they said they can pay dla up till there're 17th birthday or just b4 and pip have to invite u to make a claim then they will make an appointment for the claimants they should still continue to pay the claimant until the decision maker has looked at the new evidence. Did yrs sons claim have long left on it . I would ring dla and pip . This shouldn't happen.

• Posted

I rang dla ( that should of said ) last week. I go nuts if they do this to us after been told by the dla and pip they would not
    • Posted

No it shouldn't happen. I am making a complaint tomorrow. I am just filling in the 'how your disability affects you' form which is to be with PIP by 16/02 in the meantime they should be paying for 6 months but they say they won't look until date order but in the meantime we have no DLA or Carers allowance x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.