DLA to pip and I am 65

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 65 receiving DLA and now have to be assessed for Pip. My DLA was indefinitely.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sadly this part is so unfair. But theyve scraped those rules. And have started again. As Dla is diffrent from Pip. Try not to worry. Its something us all on dla for however how long. Have to do. I was so worried. But infact was onastly okay. Your doctor will be the best to advise.
    • Posted

Ive like someone else as just stated looked on citizens advice helpline. And its right. What shes said. Basically youd be 69 for the old rules to continue. As rule come in 8 April 2013 and you had to be 65 then.. Best thing to do is if you can yourself. Get advice on the diffrence between them basically it is the same. But instead of whats wrong with you. Its how your illness effects you. On a daily basis!! As people could also work on dla.As they can pip. So not a hugh diffrence. If struggle!! Get someone else to pick up a leaflet. To give you a clearer picture. Goodluck. Im sure all will be fine
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words. Very assuring as it has caused me more pain due to the stress.  I heard that there is a scoring system, how does it work. Thanks again
    • Posted

Yes it definatly brings out the stress. Then our aggravating problems. Basically. I will give you the mobility big question. As theirs around 24 questions. Without checking I cdnt be exact. They ask you how far you can walk. When you answer . Its very similar to dla but dla was 50metres. Pip is 20. If you answered less then 20 metres. Also your aided meaning crutchs wheelchair. Your awarded maximum points of 12. Daily living is again the same as Dla. But theyve put them into 2 groups. 1 daily living you need to score minimum of 8 to get awarded standard 12 is enhanced. And the scoring with mobility is the same. Their general questions. But If you can Go onto the DWP website. Or get someone to go on their for you. Their is a self assesment test. I did alot of homework. Plus used that as all the questions are their. It sounds complicated its not. Of course as dla you tell them your worst day. You either go to a centre to be assesed or you can ask for a home visit. Of which I simply got my doctor to fax. After telling them. I cdnt make it. And my mobility isnt good. So they come to my home. My strong advice now is look at the questions on the self assesment questionaire. So you know what theyre going to ask. So your very prepared. But also get someone to test you. Its easy as it shows you what you would score. Theirs alot of advice I and others could give. But its too overwhelming. What I found. I live in devon. Is ALL evidence you have. Send with the form you receive. But get it all photocopied. So you or your carer or even a friend can also give this to them. I read sooo many horror storys. I didnt know what to expect. Mine was ok. I explained why I was so nervous. Your read alot of negativity. But truth is were all diffrent. And people Think its about what theyve been diagnosed with. That should be looked at. Its not. Its how you cope with this thats the question. I was fine. You were indefinate. That would only of been for a very strong reason. You look as Ive said above up. Once read the questionaire. Your have a better insight. I hope my mini book as made things a little clearer. Goodluck.
    • Posted

You're an angel. Thank you. I will certainly take your advice. I have recently moved home and changed gp so I am not sure if they know me well other than what's on my notes. I will just pray for the best as I am in Birmingham and I too hear harror stories.

• Posted

I took your advice and did the assessment and it came out quite positive. It's very tiring. I need some rest now lol Nathan you again very useful information 

• Posted

Dont worry. I too moved in october my assesement was january. But the notes will be in the doctors file. Dont worry. Try not read horror storys. I was convinced all would go wrong. I was wrong. Ive only been on DLA since 2013. Started low. By 2014 high on both. My result on pip was what I scored on my self assesment on mobility. But not daily living. But im sorting that out. Best of luck. I didnt join this group until my assesment was done& dusted. People get so worked up. Try not too. And have someone with you. Takecare. And rest up today. X

• Posted

Hi there,

I was on indefinite DLA as well and was 'invited' to apply for PIP earlier this year.

I did a lot of research before I completed the PIP forms and was advised that the PIP wasn't about my condition, but how my condition affected my every day life.

I did not just tick the bxes, but sent in seperate sheets of paper detailing exactly  what I was not able to do.  I can be more spesifiic if you want, please just ask.  

I was eventually awarded enhanced on both care and mobility so don't give up. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. The stress of it has caused me more excruating pain and stress. How are points rewarded
    • Posted

HI Beautifulme, if you google "PIP descriptors" it will tell you everything you need to know. There's 2 parts daily living and mobility. To get an award you must score at least 8 points in either of the parts for an award of Standard, 12 points or more will give you Enhanced award. As Sukes has said PIP is all about how your condition/s affect you in daily life, it's not about a diagnosis. Sukes has offered to help you. I would take that offer. You'll get great advice from someone who's been through DLA to PIP process theirself. Good luck.

• Posted

Very useful and accurate information. I took the assessment and it is very consoling. So grateful and I truly appreciate you taking the time to support me. God bless
    • Posted

I also was on indefinite DLA & invited to apply for PIP.  I have had the face to face & the outcome. When I was on DLA I was awared the high rate mobility & the middle rate care. Now I am on the standard rate mobility & enhanced rate care.   I have requested that I  have a copy of the assessor's report as reading the summarised report it stated that because I know where the shops are I have been awared no points because I can plan & carry out a journey.   Even when I was younger with no mobility problems I could never ever plan a journey.  I have never had any sense of direction & always kept getting myself lost.  Whether or not I will ask for a manditory reconsideration is another matter as I am aware that I could end up with nothing. Scaremongering at its very best.

• Posted

If you were on Pip/dla before you reach 65 it should carry on indefinitely c
    • Posted

DLA will continue for those who were aged 65 or over on 8th April 2013. Those that weren't will be invited to apply for PIP.

• Posted

Yes you are right Denise.   You had to be 65 on the date mentioned.  If you weren't then the rules are different.  x

• Posted

I missed that deadline by just over 5 weeks, story of my life lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.