Do Beta Blockers (taken late at night) help with Morning Anxiety?

Posted , 6 users are following.

My doctor prescribed me 40mg 3 times a day of Propranolol (Beta Blocker) to help with the anxiety (as well as the 30mg Citalopram i'm already on.

My question is - will this help with my morning "waking @ 4am in fear" anxiety? If i take it late at night before i sleep? I'm hoping it will make me calmer?

Would appreciate anyones thoughts / experiences

Thanks

Neil

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have bought better me magnesium spray and put 5 sprays on each foot before bed. It has helped me so much and sleep through the whole night.
    • Posted

certainly is random - i am currently taking magnesium supplement tablets so perhaps i dont want to do both - but its certainly an idea - THANKYOU smile
  • Posted

Also take beta blocker hour before sleep
    • Posted

You could take one if you wake up in the night too, then meditate when wake up and hopefully fall asleep
  • Posted

I take 10mg Propranolol 3 times a day as well. In my experience the effects of the Propranolol only last for about 6 hours so if you wanted to be able to have less anxiety at that time of the morning you would probably need to take it around midnight to 1a.m.

Also it might take a few days for you to see the effect but hang in there it helps at least for me.

• Posted

Ellen - your words encourage me greatly - im currently waking up at 4.30am anyway so if i take them near midnight i should be ok.

thank you for your reply. - i've been on 10mg 3 times a day for over a week now and on wednesday stepped up to 40mg 3 times a day (doc was concerned about possible asthma issues i had years ago - hence the slow start)

thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Neil have the beta blockers taken at night got you past that 430 anxiety burst in the morning? If so when do you take your tablets ( both daytime and night)?

Best wishes liz

• Posted

Hi Liz,

I take 40mg propranolol 3 times a day (6am...12-1pm and 10-11pm - depending on when i go to bed) i also take 2 x magnesium tablets (apparently these lower cortisol levels which is partly what causes that early morning anxiety rush)

I dont know if anything has actually helped but in the last two days (ive been on 40mg bb for a week now) my anxiety on waking has been dramatically reduced.

I honestly don't know if the citalopram has started to work or if its the beta blockers or the magnesium or the fact ive cut caffeine almost completely out of my diet or the therapy or what but i am STILL waking at ridiculous hours (3.30am this morning) but the anxiety is down to about 10% of what it was.

If you are suffering i feel for you because it is terrifying and horrible

Neil

• Posted

I am glad it is reduced slightly for you. Which magnesium do you take and do you take 2 at the same time? I have heard magnesium glycerate is really good.
    • Posted

Yeah i heard that magnesium glycerate is good. Mine is just a tesco supplement it says magnesium oxide and magnesium stearate on the ingredient list.

And yes i take two at a time..usually in the evening.

Hope that helps smile

• Posted

Thanks smile

Doctors's choice one on amazon is apparently amazing. I also had bloods done and realised iron deficient so worth having those done. I'm glad beta blockers are helping. I have been on them for ages.

• Posted

Hi Neil I'm glad you are getting some relief. My gp has prescribed beta blockers for me at 40 mg and they do reduce the anxiety but not in the morning unless I take one when I wake up and then it's another hour before it has any effect. But tbh 40 mg wipes me out and I then only take 20 mg at teatime and then bedtime as I don't like the side effects. ( feeling spacey and tired and make me eat a lot as I feel hungry all the time). Yes I'm suffering like you having upped my dose of citalopram from 20 to 30 about a week ago. I think the cpram are helping because my mood has lifted but anxiety increased. I've been waking up at 430 for a number of weeks now way before I upped the citalopram with that morning cortisol boost. Pre existing stress I assume. I'm going to do more exercise and yoga when I feel a bit better.

Has that cortisol boost subsided for you?

• Posted

They are helping but they make me hungry...they give me headaches and because they slow heart rate i cant exercise in the gym at all....i cant even push it in the swimming pool because i havent got the energy. I want to get off them as soon as possible.
    • Posted

I thought the same liz until i upped the dose to 40mg ( i was on 10 then 20mg before)

I was waking at 4.00 - 4.30am for 4 months until 2 days ago...now im still waking up early but the cortisol 'surge' has been noticeably better in the last two days.

Yes the beta blockers make me hungry too and they make me tired quicker when exercising...but its better than the alternative right now.

• Posted

Hi Neil. Thanks for the info. Are you saying you think the increase in the beta blocker is the reason you are not getting the cortisol surge or is it because of the citalopram kicking in?
    • Posted

And yes me too the beta blockers are awful

But better than the alternative

• Posted

Im not sure to be honest. I wish i knew.

Either way...i hope it lasts.

• Posted

Aw so do I Neil. This whole illness is so debilitating and exhausting. Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.