Do Fentanyl patches actually work..

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been on Fentanyl for three weeks and I can honestly say the only feeling I get from them is feeling stoned..Extremely tired I could quite easily go to bed now...Obviously very little pain control, should I wait a bit longer or give up on it now. I need some decent pain relief now not in a months time..Thanks in advance jx

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Jayne... Please give up on it now before you are hooked. Fentanyl is not a great pain killer according to most doctors but makes you feel high and assist coping mechanisms. I spent 3 years on it and just had the worse year of my life coming off it , the first week was inhumane. I just read your story out to my wife and she urged me to tell you straight away... she had to live through my ordeal with me. You are effectively taking very pure heroin which will shut down your natural endophine system and a big hit of noradrenalin (bad) when you come off.

Warm wishes 

Harvey

• Posted

Oh dear now thats quite frightening to hear I think I need to have a serious talk with my G.P thanks for that jx
  • Posted

Hi jayne

in 1984 I got out of bed one morning, stood up & collapsed, luckily a work colleague was due to visit, I crawled to the door and was driven, eventually, to the hospital where I remained for 8 days. My vertebra had snapped away from my spine. I had never had a back issue until this point. To cut a long story short. I had a spinal fusion and for 7 years I returned to my active job and carried on my sports, unfortunately my condition deteriorated, resulting in 1991 with me having a laminectomy and having a rectangular piece of metal inserted with 4 screws to hold it all together, unfortunately again, the metal reacted with my scar tissue and within 12 months that rectangle was removed. I then started on MSC tablets but the pain relief was not controlled so I then was put on a syringe driver and had to draw up morphine every day. Forward to 1996 and Durogesic (fentanyl) patches had just been licences in UK so I made the decision to go for it (I couldn't go back) so from 1996 to present day I have been on the patches. 

My issue over this period of time has been they have become less effective so my patches are now joined by Oral morphine for top up relief. I also have to change the patches every 48hrs as it goes too fast through my system.

i have perceived because my initial use of fentanyl was amazing, I have learned to cope with ups and downs but the thought of having to change medication is a step too far for me and my body is now fentanyl dependant. 

I wish you luck in whichever way you turn, please listen to the medical people, maybe get a 2nd opinion.

• Posted

OUCH Karen ..ive just stopped the tramadol and have been put on the lowest dose of Fentanyl for three weeks as my G.P was going to be away for three weeks and wanted to make sure everything was goin ok before any increase with the patches jx
  • Posted

What dose are you on? Patches? X
    • Posted

I, on the lowest dose I think its 12.5 but then I have just completed 8mnth detox from tramadol I know the plan is to increase the dose asap and maybe have a look at the other drug combinations im taking. Thank  you for your reply jx

• Posted

Hello Jane,

I have been on the Fentanyl patches since Jan. 2012, moved to them from Tramadol after a bad fall which left me unable to walk at all, my dose was increased two weekly until I had pain relief and was off the Tramadol altogether - this was 6 months of increase in patch size.   I never felt 'high'  or 'stoned'  and the pain relief was / is very good.  My only problem with them now is they do not last the full 72 hours and I take Oramorph to help with any breakthrough pain and to get me through the last hours before a patch change.

For you to be feeling stoned but still in pain is not good,  I think a chat with your GP is needed,  could it be that other meds you are taking are reacting with the Fentanyl to make you feel stoned, and that the dose you are taking is not strong enough to relieve the pain -   I think a good look at your other meds is needed and also what other options for pain relief are there for you,  could you ask for a double appointment to really go into this?

I do hope your GP can give you other options,  the Fentanyl is good but does come with it's own problems as you get used to it - same as all pain relief meds.

Hope you can get in to see your GP soon.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Thank you for your reply jessie51 I will book in to see her asap really dont like that stoned feeling let alone the pain...jx
    • Posted

Hi Jessie. I have not been on here for a long time. Sending you hugs, love and healing. Xx Linda
    • Posted

Just had my Fentanyl dose increased..I asked about the feeling stoned and completely fatigued. She looked through all of my meds and said that one or two don,t go well together but my body will adjust to the fentanyl...I hope so as at the moment I refuse to drive feeling like this. jx
    • Posted

Hello Jayne,

just read your reply to Linda re your initial dose, that was what I started on - the 12.5,  mine is Matrifen by the way,  well I am pleased your Dr has increased the dose and looked at the other meds, I think they forget about the other things we are taking and so the interaction possibility gets overlooked.   I do hope she / he is going to keep seeing you until a dose size that gives you comfortable pain relief is found - you will get used to the Fentanyl and start to see what tires you out and how fast, I still find that the more I do which increases my pain to breakthrough....  the faster I use up the amount of Fentanyl in the patch then start with withdrawal symptoms - it's a bit like having a control of some kind attatched to me !  lol.

Jayne I was worrying for a while about the Fentanyl -dose size addiction etc but after reading the reply that Karen sent to you,  she has been on it since 1996 and changes after 48 hours,  I feel better - more relaxed with it,  I am happy with the pain relief I get from it,  I have a better quality of life and can do more,  side effects aside ( sweating  )  can be a bit bothersome,  and one other thing,  I used to take Diazepam, was taken off it a couple of years back and only now realise how much that affected /  had an intereaction with the Fentanyl,  I am much better off it in that sense - the withdrawal from the Diaz aside and the reason I was taking it - for muscle spasms,  I am better without it whilst taking the Fentanyl.   

I am rambling a bit trying to keep my reply short and to the point!!

In short - any other drugs you are taking need to be considered while using the patches.    I do hope you soon reach a dose that gives you good relief,  you do feel so much better and happier with life when pain is not continually dragging you down and stopping you from doing even the little things in life.  I have read the scare stories about Fentanyl and don't dwell on them -  will cross bridges etc as and when,  and for now enjoy the relief I get from using the Fent.

Hope it works out for you also!

Warmest regards

Jessie xx

ps --  hope you soon feel comfortable about driving again,  am sure it will be just a matter of time and maybe some med adjustments...  fingers crossed x

• Posted

ohhhh !!    I somehow got a smiley in my reply to you !!

Don't know how that happened or worse lol ,   what that particular smiley indicates...........      do hope it is nothing bad,   I have no idea how to find out...........      no edit feature either .........    heck !!!

Regards 

Jessie xx

• Posted

Thanks Jessie and yes it is the diazepam and the amitryptiline thats don,t like to be mixed with Fentanyl.....I have reduced my diazapam , can,t really and would be reluctant to reduce the amitryptaline one 10mg at night, as this drug has had a positive result for my nerve pain, no more getting up 6 or 7 times a night hobbling around the bedroom to ease the pain..Im sure given time the drug combo will eventully sort itself out.. Well your smiley is smiling lol lol jx
    • Posted

Hello Jayne,

thats great - not getting up 6 or 7 times a night,  long may it last !

Agree your drug combo will resolve and hope you get back to driving also, it's awful to lose the ability........  fingers crossed for that one.

Hope also it does not take too long to reach a level of Fentanyl that gives you good pain relief....    

Keep smiling Jayne

Warmest regards

Jessie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.