Do genital warts grow hair?

Posted , 12 users are following.

so basically i got these bumps about 5 days ago , i had 2 first one on each side and then one of them i think got irritated after i shaved again. but now that hair is starting to grow back i notice the hair growing on top of it . do genital warts do that?? or is this just from shaving!image

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

did you ever find out what this was? i have the same thing and my doctors have been all over the place with their diagnosis. mine also have hair growing from them, and warts generally do not, so i just wanted to know if you ever found out.

• Posted

Hi Nata,

I can't see enough of the lesions to be 100% certain but it looks suspiciously like molluscum contagiosum (MC).

MC is a viral skin condition that can be sexually transmitted. It's quite common, maybe not as common as genital warts, but totally benign in nature. If the diagnosis is correct, you should avoid shaving or scratching the area as you risk spreading the infection to other parts of your skin. Trimming with scissors or clippers is OK.

If you can, please make an appointment with your local GU/sexual health clinic so that the diagnosis can be confirmed and for a full sexual health screen. Treatment for MC is usually cryotherapy with liquid nitrogen, but you should ask the clinic for podophyllotoxin cream, which you can self-medicate with during the lockdown. The cream is usually used to treat genital warts, but is also effective against MC.

Hope this helps,

Adhari

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.