Do I have a drink problem?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. I'm new here and just looking for some people's opinions. Honestly I'm hoping for someone to say everything is fine but I may be kidding myself... Sorry if it's long.

I'm 23 and have multiple mental health problems including PTSD. I drink to help with flashbacks and other issues. I was able to keep my drinking secret for a long time and it was fine. But a month ago I got arrested for drunk and disorderly because I was trying to kill myself. (I'm terrified of police, and never been in trouble before). Since then people that found out have been concerned about my drinking. I had to do an alcohol diary for the police worker and she's making me get in touch with alcohol support services. But I think she's overreacting. So the stats... I drink everyday. I don't start drinking until 2pm (but I'm sat with the drink waiting for the clock to change). I drink on average 15 units a day, with some days going up to 25 units. I know that probably sounds a lot but I'm not affected that much, I'm just a bit relaxed, happier and it helps me sleep. Sometimes I can't remember all of the previous night. I wrote all this out fine and I'm currently on 13 units today. I don't get hangovers, in fact the last time I felt particularly ill was when I only drank a few nights a week and had uncontrollable shakes on days that i didn't drink. Now i drink more I'm fine!

Anyway, sorry I've rambled. Just wondering people's opinion, I think I'm fine but am I kidding myself? Thank you for any replies smile

0 likes, 89 replies

89 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I must learn not to be so blunt. It's only cos you're 23 with the rest of your life to live. I certainly didn't mean to be offensive. 

On on the other hand, I don't see the point in platitudes, there there don't worry, all will be fine, you've not got a problem.

I think you know alcohol is a problem to you and I'm the last person to critisize anyone about excessive drinking.

Like I said before, please get some help, otherwise you'll just get worse and it will be much harder for you.

Ive seen first hand what alcohol can do to people. I recently lost a close friend,to chronic cirrhosis, end stage liver disease. She kept it a secret, even her husband and boys hadn't a clue she was drinking in secret.

.If it helps, read my discussion on this forum about her demise. I risked loosing a good friend by telling her bluntly that I knew what she was doing. The reason I knew was because she was doing exactly what I did years ago.

Anyway, I certainly didn't mean to upset you, just maybe make you see that life can get better.

Are you in the uk? Please see a doctor asap. If you feel you can't speak openly and honestly with your dr, write it all out like you've done here and hand it to your dr.

?Whatever you do, DONT SUDDENLY STOP DRINKING, your body is used to a lot of alcohol to function. Stopping suddenly can give you,seizures, which can be fatal. You could try waiting till 3pm and having one less drink. Taper down gradually. Members on this forum have done that. 

I stopped with medication. Either chlordiazepoxide (Librium) or diazepam (Valium)

• Posted

Thank you. I didn't find you offensive I just worry I annoyed you. I don't mean to annoy anyone.

I think I'm beginning to accept that there may be a problem there thanks to the great support I've had.

I'm new to the site and a bit rubbish but if I can find your discussion I'll read it.

Yes I'm in the UK. I think I might write it down like you suggest because I'm a nightmare at talking.

TRIGGERING... I've been tempted to just stop for the possible effects but I don't think I have the will power.

Yes I think I will be tapering it down but I certainly can't start tonight and don't know if I can start tomorrow... excuses, I know I'm rubbish, sorry.

I've been on chlordiazepoxide but I was in a psych hosp for other reasons so don't remember much about it.

Thanks for taking time to reply

Sophie

• Posted

so many good replies to you!! Never seen anything like it!! Enjoy! Robin
    • Posted

Thank you. Yeah I can't believe it. It's all been phenomenal help!

Sophie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.