Do I have mono?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All, was hoping i could get some advice. Sorry if this is long but has been bothering me a lot until i found this forum.

About 1 month ago I started to feel the onset of what i thought was a flu. I took a few days off, felt okay and went back to work and then all of a sudden was hit like a ton of bricks with the extreme exhaustion, headache, dizziness, blurred vision. My glands were swollen with 2 clear/white spots that look almost like ulcers, It was so bad i had to check into the ER.

They treated it as a flu and prescribed antibiotics. they didn't help at all. Every-time i would go to a GP they would treat it as a flu prescribing antibiotics, but because i knew in my body it was more then a flu i had to change doctors multiple times until i found one who would actually take my blood.

Ive been tested for nearly everything they could think of and also had CT scan and ENT. Everything has showed up normal and nobody can give me an answer. The only thing that showed up positive was my EBV test, however the doctors could not say that it was 100% it, as the IGg and EBNA antibody was positive but IGm was negative, meaning i had contracted it a long time ago even though I'm pretty sure i would remember having mono/glandular fever. They advised there was nothing else they could do to confirm whether I have mono.

Anyways  the symptoms seem to match up, but not knowing for sure has been really UN-nerving for me. The worst of the symptoms for me has been this weird migraine/brain-fog/headache which seems to be affecting my vision. Its like my eyes cant focus on anything and has a weird reaction to light. Has anyone else had this? For so long? It hasn't gotten any better for a month now. Not knowing has made me so anxious, and my doctor has prescribed be prochlorperazine for this 'vertigo' which I'm really reluctant about taking as it is apparently an anti-psychotic medication? which scares me. I don't want to drown in medication.

I don't have an issue going through whatever i need to naturally to go through, but like a said, its the fact that i don't know if its mono or not. I'm worried its possibly something else with the same symptoms and i know its dramatic but im sure some of you can relate to the anxiety. I just don't know what to do anymore, if i should keep trying for other tests or just give up and hope that its mono... sorry for the long message and  thanks in advanced.

Anthony

0 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi.

Sorry you’re going through the unknown. I went through that too.

Thought I kept coming down with flus for about a month. Then at work it hit like a train, felt so faint and weak. Driving to the doctors I literally went in 4 hours before my appt because I felt like I was dying I didn’t want to wait at home any longer. 

My EBV markers also showed past infection. I think it was mono but I didn’t test in time for the recent infection markers because it wasn’t that bad until it got really bad. Anyways. Long story short: I was so weak and sick I was off work for months. Doctors were useless. Kept saying depression or post viral fatigue. 

Whether or not it was EBV or andifferent crazy virus I dunno but I went through what you’re going through. I would hang on to the prescription for any psychotic meds but if you need it dont feel bad just fill it out. But maybe wait and see? 

Hope you feel better. Be patient and if you can - rest. Fully rest in bed and at home. 

• Posted

I suppose I should tell you an update instead of leaving it so gloomy. I am much better and back and work. Unfortunately 2 family members seem to have the same bug.. their story is similar to ours. It’s a awful thing to go through but slowly over weeks (or months) you will get back to your normal routine. 
  • Posted

Hey there,

what you are going through sounds really similar what I went through (and am still going through). I did blood tests for a lot of different things and nothing wrong showed up, but I was weak, faint, dizzy, had brain fog, blurry vision, you name it. Mono can be a difficult thing to test for because if it isn’t done at the right moment it won’t show up. I wouldn’t be too worried if I was you, definitely sounds like mono and You already did other tests to clear other things out of the way. 

The anxiety from this illness can really suck, but its just that And nothing more serious. It goes away When You start to feel better, And You will get there, just rest, rest, And more rest! 

• Posted

Hi Ant,

I went through all these same symptoms, it lasts for a long time and produces so many strange symptoms, you will recover  even though it doesn't feel that way right now.

• Posted

Hi Anthony, Wow, you're going through a really hard time, seems like the worst part for you is not knowing what's wrong, that would cause anxiety.

Mono can reactivate, but as I'm not a doctor, I also won't know for sure.

But all of your symptoms sound like mono, so this is a good place for reassurance, as this virus can be a rollercoaster ride in terms of symptoms and duration.

It's really a good sign, that you've been tested for everything, and nothing came up positive. 😊

Sounds like mono to me, and I would be frustrated too, if doctors couldn't confirm it, but hang in there and take it easy and try to ease your symptoms.

• Posted

Thanks for your words. Feeling a lot better after hearing everyones input.

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

So sorry to hear you've had such an awful month with these symptoms and worry. Really hoping and praying you feel much better soon. I'm no doctor or medical person but certainly a lot of the symptoms you describe I can relate to from my own experience of going through mono, in particular the fatigue and feeling drained and a kind of 'stunted' dizzy feeling, or a feeling that you know something is just not quite right but you can't fully put your finger on it. 

I'm hoping that the doctors can offer some help and reassurance, if it is mono then it will get better Ant and this is the worst phase you are going through right now. Just take a step back and get plenty of rest if you can, I know it's not easy but please do put your health first above work at this time. And again if it is mono, don't panic if it takes a little while for recovery, than can happen and be normal but absolutely you will get better from it, and this stage of the first few weeks / month or two are certainly the most intense and worst, that was my experience anyway. 

Things that helped me during recovery was taking vitamins and herbs, a good strong multi-vitamin per day (I take Immunace Extra here in the UK), a B50 or B100 complex vitamin per day (great for nervous system and energy levels), higher doses of Vitamin C (1000-3000mg per day) and immune boosting herbs like oregano, echinichea and siberian ginseng. These can help your body through a stressful time and hopefully to feel a bit better as you recover. 

I really do empathise that not having a firm diagnosis is so hard and is a horrible thing to go through, do keep going to the docs and hoping someone can offer better insight and reassurance that you've had up until now - I know there are some people on the forums here who are good at interpreting blood results / markers for EBV, I'm not any good at that unfortunately but it certainly could be mono by the sounds of it, but do keep checking in with the doc.

I believe you're going to get better and get through this Anthony, just hoping that things settle down and you can get somewhere with the doctors. God is the great healer and physician I do believe and I believe that wherever it is mono or something else that absolutely God is going to bring you through it and get you well again - hang in there and do keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

Craig

• Posted

.....oh, and almost all adults have had mono, many without knowing it was no-one, thinking it was a sore throat, so you wouldn't know for sure, if you have had it before.

Usually it's a once in a life illness, but it can reactivate in some individuals.

Also.. .I had been running a fever for 6 weeks, and had a second opining, and she thankfully tested for mono, and I was positive. Wow, that was so great to know what was wrong.

First doctor didn't test, guess because I'm not a teenager! So either I got it later in life, or it has reactivated.

Almost everyone has had the virus growing up, most people without knowing.

That's probably why doctors don't suspect mono with grownups, and frustratingly forget to test.!! Hope this makes some sense.

• Posted

So as you say it’s a once in a lifetime illness .. this is my first time and has been 6 months now so I’m hoping you’re right .... that once I’m through this it won’t come back 😩

• Posted

I hope you feel better soon Lori, and that this is the first and last time for you. Hang in there. 🍀🌼

• Posted

Thank you Malene! I couldn’t go through this again. It’s been like solitary confinement . 
    • Posted

I know. I've only had light symptoms compared to a lot of you, and even that's been soo frustrating, can't even imagine what you guys are going through. Hang in there Lori. Hope there's light at the other end of the tunnel for all of us.

• Posted

Well I would start boosting your immune system now ... lysine is a great one . I only ever had light symptoms in the past just a slight flare up around the mouth . Now I see what it was due to but before this hit I had no clue . 
    • Posted

Yes, I've heard about lysine, thanks, I'll think about boosting my system, I'm five months in, slight fever sometimes, and that weird off feeling, and a little more tired, and some depression....but functioning pretty normal for now, but you just never know. Feel better soon. 👍

• Posted

How long before you really got sick? After the mouth thing?
    • Posted

I got really sick April and the mouth thing was an ongoing thing for many years now but never got the full blown Illness . Now I do have it though I’m seeing all the signs . 
    • Posted

I’ve not had the swollen glands or sore throat I do get the achy feeling in my legs though and the fatigue and depression boy ... it’s the worst ! 
    • Posted

I haven't had the sore throat and swollen glands, I read somewhere, that grownups often don't get that. And I agree, the emotional crap that goes on is the worst. And not knowing when you'll get better. Sometimes I don't even know what's causing what. Like why am I tired today, why am I depressed. I'll be glad to get this bug out of my system.

• Posted

Me too malene! I hate it ! I’m on a 7 day prescription of Valtrex hopefully it gives me some relief .

And yes it’s the ‘not knowing ‘ that drives us crazy if we only had a date 

• Posted

Yes, and we can´t even go on real dates, if we don´t know if the mono is gone! confused

Don´t know what Valtrex is, but I have Xanax, and when I freak, I take a quarter and I swear it works, lifesaver for me, so the anxiety can´t take control.

• Posted

Yes I’m single and should be dating right now not lying in bed all day ! 

Valtrex is a drug for herpes and for some people it has worked ... I’d drink bleach right now if it would cure me ! And yes taking more Xanax than I ever have in my life but hey whatever gets you through this . 

• Posted

I hope it works for you!

And in the meantime I agree, only thing that really works on the anxiety is Xanax, taken with precaution and only when truly needed, I wouldn't blink taking it either.

Dating seems far away, wouldn't forgive myself passing this thing to someone....wonder how long we're contagious?

• Posted

Just a word on the dating front guys, just be careful when you start to feel well again - I passed the virus onto a girl I kissed and that was even when I was starting to feel better from it, so just keep it in mind!!

Craig

• Posted

I don’t take it during the day but at night before bed or if I wake up at 3am I’ll take 1/2 to get back to sleep . 

Gosh me too ... I guess you would need a blood test to show if it’s dormant before you kissed somebody . 

• Posted

I am wondering now ... if I caught it or am I the carrier ? Or if it’s already in your system can you catch it from somebody else Which will maybe reactivate it ?

I know I have had the little sores at the side of my mouth now and again in the past but I did have a vape pen recently and people always asking for a puff of it .

Who knows round and round we go with all these what ifs .. when .. why 

• Posted

I'm not sure about it all Lori in terms of transmission and how it works, but try not to worry or drive yourself crazy thinking about these things. Certainly there is a link with cold sores as it's the same group of virus I believe that causes that too I think. 

• Posted

Have you gone back to work yet? i haven't worked in a month and i'm definitely not in a state to work but at some point im going to have to.. not sure when to go back sad

• Posted

I’ve not actually worked in many years but even if I had a job I could not go . Too debilitated cloudy head and sooooo tired . 
    • Posted

Me too, I was thinking maybe I got it from trying on lipstick in drugstores!! My doctor said, that I probably got it from someone sneezing on the train, you have to be very unlucky as it's hard to get, thankfully.

• Posted

Hey Malene,

Yeah it does leave you wondering how you did get it if there's no obvious thing in your mind. I think but am not sure that I got it from a girl I kissed who later told me she had had mono within the last year (I think can be sure that I didn't get it from trying lipstick on! :p). With it being passed on by saliva and not air-borne, you'd have to be very unlucky to get it from someone sneezing. Other common things I've read can be sharing or unwashed drinking glasses, cutlery, etc. Anyway at the end of the day not worth dwelling on I guess.

Hoping for a good weekend for you Malene and thanks as always for all your wise words. 

Craig

Craig

• Posted

Well seeing as 96 % of people have it you probably had the virus and maybe it just reactivated. I know that if your hormones drop it can reactivate which I think is what happened to me as I’m 52 . 

Whatever and whomever gave this to us ... this ‘thing’ is a b***h to get rid of !

I hate you Epstein Barr!!! 

• Posted

I kind of also believe, that the virus in my case reactivated, it's really mild, but it's there and pretty annoying.

I hope it goes away soon, and yes, lots of stuff happens when hormones drop.

I hope you feel better soon, and get to the point of feeling crappy but able to function, that's where I am!

• Posted

Yes can’t wsit to just feel mildly crappy 🤣 right now trying to stay awake until 7pm eyes closing . No fun ! 

• Posted

It is good you can do things Malene but I know for sure it doesn’t make it any easier to cope with physically or emotionally. 

I’m still believing you guys Malene and Lori that better times are ahead with recovery and restoration from this horrid virus. Hoping for a settled day for everyone. 

Craig 

• Posted

Hi lori,

Those days were awful when i couldn’t stay awake past about 7 or 8pm. I do sympathise with you. 

• Posted

Thank Kay 

It’s been months of it now .... 

• Posted

ha ha, Lori - thanks, you´re making me feel better....  hope you can stay awake a little longer tonite. cry

• Posted

I hope so too ! I’ve not had a solid sleep in weeks now ... I’m so afraid scared of this monster 😖

• Posted

lori, I had at least 6 mos which was like that.
    • Posted

That's awful you're having these issues with your sleep Lori, hoping that a more settled sleeping pattern can come back to you soon and it's as much allowing your mind to rest as your body I guess, not easy I know thinking about you. 

• Posted

Ok just passed 5 months now that have been pretty bad . The month before it started just a fatigue in the a.m. but all in all ok. Hoping 6 months is the magic number ! 
    • Posted

Definitely hoping so Lori, just remember too though not to get discouraged if it does happen to take a bit longer (which I hope it doesn't of course), because you will definitely get there still and God willing you won't have to go through anything like this last 6 months again I hope and pray and believe.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you Craig ! Yes doing this ALL alone has not been easy ... hoping for better times ahead . Please God 🙏🏻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.