Do I have mono?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All, was hoping i could get some advice. Sorry if this is long but has been bothering me a lot until i found this forum.

About 1 month ago I started to feel the onset of what i thought was a flu. I took a few days off, felt okay and went back to work and then all of a sudden was hit like a ton of bricks with the extreme exhaustion, headache, dizziness, blurred vision. My glands were swollen with 2 clear/white spots that look almost like ulcers, It was so bad i had to check into the ER.

They treated it as a flu and prescribed antibiotics. they didn't help at all. Every-time i would go to a GP they would treat it as a flu prescribing antibiotics, but because i knew in my body it was more then a flu i had to change doctors multiple times until i found one who would actually take my blood.

Ive been tested for nearly everything they could think of and also had CT scan and ENT. Everything has showed up normal and nobody can give me an answer. The only thing that showed up positive was my EBV test, however the doctors could not say that it was 100% it, as the IGg and EBNA antibody was positive but IGm was negative, meaning i had contracted it a long time ago even though I'm pretty sure i would remember having mono/glandular fever. They advised there was nothing else they could do to confirm whether I have mono.

Anyways  the symptoms seem to match up, but not knowing for sure has been really UN-nerving for me. The worst of the symptoms for me has been this weird migraine/brain-fog/headache which seems to be affecting my vision. Its like my eyes cant focus on anything and has a weird reaction to light. Has anyone else had this? For so long? It hasn't gotten any better for a month now. Not knowing has made me so anxious, and my doctor has prescribed be prochlorperazine for this 'vertigo' which I'm really reluctant about taking as it is apparently an anti-psychotic medication? which scares me. I don't want to drown in medication.

I don't have an issue going through whatever i need to naturally to go through, but like a said, its the fact that i don't know if its mono or not. I'm worried its possibly something else with the same symptoms and i know its dramatic but im sure some of you can relate to the anxiety. I just don't know what to do anymore, if i should keep trying for other tests or just give up and hope that its mono... sorry for the long message and  thanks in advanced.

Anthony

0 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sounds like mono to me Ant,i felt exactly like that and my ebv test showed past infection but I knew I had never had anything like this before so myself and doc presumed it was what I had now as the test was done a few weeks into my illness so would have shown as a past infection,ive had it for 15 months now and had 4 relapses with it,its nasty,im just satrting to feel a little bit normal again after the 4th relapse which put me back in bed for 7 weeks,like Craig says rest and vitamins is the best thing,i also suffer with vertigo not connected to this called Menieres(although ive had a lot of dizziness with this virus) and I take prochlorperazine for it,they are also used for nausea and migraines
    • Posted

Gosh 4 relapses ! How were you in between ? 

I’ve just felt constantly awful now for 6 months .. I  think I’ve 5 or 6 ok days where I’ve managed to do human things like go to events . 

• Posted

Hey Diane,

Just wondering how you are doing, I was pleased to see you saying you had started to feel a little more normal again, that must have been awful that relapse putting you in bed for 7 week. Noone that has not been through that can truly understand the severity of the mental anguish, lows and torment that having to live through each long day of those 7 weeks must have been. Just want you to know I'm still thinking about you and hoping and praying this can be the start of a real turning point in your circumstances - you deserve it so much Diane.

Thinking about you and believing that better times are ahead for you Diane.

Craig 

• Posted

Hi Lori / Malene / Ant,

Thinking about each of you still, and noting everyone's comments on the issue of it being a one-time virus and reactivation. Certainly your body can only ever be infected with EBV once, that much we know for sure, and in theory at least it can never get you as bad as it did that first time, that's definitely good news for those going through this right now - that it does get better and your body does get it under control eventually. 

Again my medical understanding is limited so don't take what I say as read by any means, my understanding is the virus stays dormant in your system after your body has got it under control, and whilst for I think / hope many people reactivation is never an issue, for some people it can seem to happen, particularly if your immune system is low or maybe have other health issues or under a period of particular stress. About 21 months after I was first diagnosed, after a period when I had been feeling much better and was starting to get on with life again, I hit a setback and had a blood test which showed EBV was active again - this was after loads of tests showed it wasn't active other than the initial one way back which diagnosed me. It frightened me so much, I was thinking will I have to go through all this again, it was terrifying. But thankfully it was just a setback and things settled down within a few weeks, so again I think the good news hopefully for anyone with reactivation is that usually by that stage your body is well equipped to deal with this virus and knows what to do and can get it under control quickly, and in most instances I really hope that it doesn't mean folks have to go through the same kind of horrors as the first time around - it may just meaning having to take a step back or taking it easier for a week or two or a few weeks, but that normally it doesn't go on and on the way it does first time round. 

That's just some thoughts from my own experience and (limited) knowledge anyway. And remember there is hope and I still believe that you guys, Lori, Malene and Ant, are each going to get through what you're dealing with and get better with God's help. Hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig 

After reading many many articles I also read that it’s a ‘one time thing .’ Please God this is accurate don’t think I could live my life worrying .... can I workout?  can I travel ? What if I get stressed? All these factors are enough to keep you stressed the rest of your life . 

• Posted

Thanks Craig - maybe that´s why grownups often don´t have as severe symptoms as younger people - because we probably are dealing with a reactivation, as most grownups will have contracted the EBV virus, often without knowing, thinking it was a tough sore throat episode.

It´s so annoying to be told that it lasts for 2 months, when many of us struggle on for months.

Is that normal - or are we simply hit harder with the virus?

Another problem is, that there is no treatment, so doctors don´t really follow their mono patients, and won´t truly always know, how long we feel ill.

• Posted

Lori!

I don´t think we need to worry too much about it, I found this online:

"It’s incredibly rare for mono to return after the first infection. When the virus does reactivate, it usually doesn’t cause symptoms. That said, symptoms are still possible."

It really very rarely recurs Lori, lets just stick with that. And if it does the symptoms are MUCH LESS SEVERE!!!

• Posted

That’s the best news I’ve had Malene !!! Yeah!!! Good news for us sufferers !  

I’ve read nothing but dire news on this subject . Now we just have to get through this monster . 

My main worry has been thinking that this could come back again and that it limits my life forever ... so want to get back to some kind of normalcy .

• Posted

I absolutely agree Malene it is a rare thing for reactivation, I probably didn't communicate my previous message as well as you have! I haven't really thought about it as younger people getting more severe symptoms, I would have said the opposite maybe that adults to be infected for the first time are worst affected, although in general I think it's the same for any teenager upwards who is infected for the first time. But for sure I get what you're saying that any adults unfortunate enough to have a reactivation often don't have as severe or as long lasting symptoms, but again one size does not fit all with this thing!

Oh Lori all these things go around in your mind I know, wondering worrying if you can cope in the future and all that. The only thing anyone can do when going through this is living in the present, not to dwell on the past and not to analyse too much or think too far ahead. When you start to feel better a lot of these thoughts and issues will disappear naturally, you won't feel so overwhelmed and burdened at that time, so just coping with the here and now is the most important thing and the future will take care of itself and there will be healthy and happy times ahead. 

Craig

• Posted

No no Craig, you're very well formulated, I wasn't, but the main thing is, that reactivation is very rare and symptoms less severe. Great news for Lori!

• Posted

Yes Craig trying to go one day at a time for now but it’s in our mindset to always think about tomorrow . Plus I spend 24/7 alone which makes room for a lot of time to worry. 

I feel a bit weird and spacey today but not as fatigued .... I know it will come later as the day moves on but for now grateful for this little respite and managed to get a few errands done ! 

• Posted

Thanks Malene so pleased for your great contributions to the site!! Thinking about you and Lori both at this time, hoping for a more settled weekend for you both! smile 
    • Posted

Ive just started to do acupuncture/Chinese herbs. I'm not sure if it will work but people i know have suggested it saying it helps alot. Its another option if you haven't considered it

• Posted

I’m on the 2nd day of Valtrex ... have you ever tried it ? 
    • Posted

Hi Craig and thanks,yeah my appetite is coming back and was able to drive to shop in our village,nothing major and had to lay down when I got back but can feel a bit of a change but no where near normal,whatever that may be!! still needing to rest loads,i just hope and pray that this is the end of it now,i really cant go through this again,got a way to go yet to get some stamina back but I don't feel as poorly as I did,hope your doing ok Craig? and thanks again for keeping us all going on here xx 

• Posted

Hi Lori,inbetween the relapses I was getting back on my feet for a couple of months (not like I was before I got it though) and then bang I fell ill all over again and it put me back in bed every time with feeling like I did at the beginning,it always started with sleeping the whole day away and feeling like I was coming down with flu and then the dizziness and upset tummy,headache aching,nausea etc (didn't have the sore throat,probably cos im older!! ) I just wish I could go back to how I was before this awful thing struck me down 15 months ago,its honestly been the worst thing ive ever had and im on my own too like you,its difficult with no help isn't it,i had a decentish day yesterday,able to drive to shop near me and potter round house a bit but today ive paid for it and have felt so exhausted and slept a lot

• Posted

Hi Ant ive been taking Olive leaf extract tincture,its good at killing viruses etc plus loads of vitamins
    • Posted

15 months !!! Gosh so sorry for you . Yes I had a more normal day today than I have in many months and don’t want to go to bed as who knows what tomorrow will bring . It’s 9pm and I’m still awake ! 

I thought once it goes dormant it doesn’t come  back again..... why does it keep recurring I wonder ?

And yes been the worst thing I’ve ever gone through ! Wonder if it’s best just getting through it alone sometimes as even just talking exhausts me . I manage to keep the house in order by doing a little everyday but I used to clean all day the whole house ! 

• Posted

Yes I’m taking that too along with 50 other supplements ... whatever it takes ! 
    • Posted

Take your time - cleaning the whole house can wait. I learned this very early on. I have now hired a cleaner because as much as I can clean the whole apartment myself in a couple of hours, I was completely exhausted for days after or if I didn't get a chance to do it one weekend, it would really stress me out.

• Posted

Thanks for the kind words Ant, and still believing you're going to get through this tough time. 

It's certainly worth a try Ant, sometimes it's trial and error to find something that works for you. I know that some people swear by acupuncture, I've had it and whilst hasn't done any harm haven't really noticed much happening from it - but again for some people it seems to work really well. 

Bowen Therapy was something that I've found really helpful for all sorts of aches and pains and increasing energy over the years. Very safe, non evasive and worth looking in to see if there is someone local that does it!!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Diane,

That is a big achievement making it out and a drive to the village considering what you've been through, it definitely is. Having not done these things for a while it's understandable you would feel tired after it and need a rest. I'm glad that the intensity has lessened, just hoping it keeps going in the right direction and this can be the start of a stable period and meaningful recovery.

I've been lucky in lots of ways Diane, despite my back and prostate issues God has still helped me to be able to do some things and get out for a walk most days. I'm grateful for that, but still having some down periods and feel I have a burden of not working and mentally breaking through and moving forward and dealing with guilt and shame and all the things I know you must know how it feels Diane.

I still see you as a tower of courage Diane, what you have been through I can only imagine and the fact you still come on the forum to chat and help others is absolutely amazing. I do believe God is there and is going to give you the courage to get right to the end of all this until life is much better again for you. Thanks as always for your kind words always means a lot, you are a great source of wisdom to us all!!

Craig 

• Posted

Thanks Craig for your uplifting words as usual,peace and love to you and to us all

• Posted

Yes I have a cleaner that can come but at the moment I want just peace around me ... and it can be stressful having somebody in your house ... always asking questions . Where’s this where’s that ... so just keeping it up myself but will get them back fir a good deep clean once I’m better . 
    • Posted

Ok i understand. 

Mine has a key let herself in when i am out at work but i totally understand what you mean and would not want her here when I am home resting.

• Posted

Yes I’m here all day on and off the bed so it’s more stressful than helpful . Can’t believe you are working through all of this ! Praise you 🙏🏻

• Posted

Thanks Diane, wishing great peace and love on you also, thinking about you today and hoping you are feeling settled and not too tired after getting out driving the other day there - that was a real achievement it really was considering what you've been going through it really was. 

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.