Do I have mono?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All, was hoping i could get some advice. Sorry if this is long but has been bothering me a lot until i found this forum.

About 1 month ago I started to feel the onset of what i thought was a flu. I took a few days off, felt okay and went back to work and then all of a sudden was hit like a ton of bricks with the extreme exhaustion, headache, dizziness, blurred vision. My glands were swollen with 2 clear/white spots that look almost like ulcers, It was so bad i had to check into the ER.

They treated it as a flu and prescribed antibiotics. they didn't help at all. Every-time i would go to a GP they would treat it as a flu prescribing antibiotics, but because i knew in my body it was more then a flu i had to change doctors multiple times until i found one who would actually take my blood.

Ive been tested for nearly everything they could think of and also had CT scan and ENT. Everything has showed up normal and nobody can give me an answer. The only thing that showed up positive was my EBV test, however the doctors could not say that it was 100% it, as the IGg and EBNA antibody was positive but IGm was negative, meaning i had contracted it a long time ago even though I'm pretty sure i would remember having mono/glandular fever. They advised there was nothing else they could do to confirm whether I have mono.

Anyways  the symptoms seem to match up, but not knowing for sure has been really UN-nerving for me. The worst of the symptoms for me has been this weird migraine/brain-fog/headache which seems to be affecting my vision. Its like my eyes cant focus on anything and has a weird reaction to light. Has anyone else had this? For so long? It hasn't gotten any better for a month now. Not knowing has made me so anxious, and my doctor has prescribed be prochlorperazine for this 'vertigo' which I'm really reluctant about taking as it is apparently an anti-psychotic medication? which scares me. I don't want to drown in medication.

I don't have an issue going through whatever i need to naturally to go through, but like a said, its the fact that i don't know if its mono or not. I'm worried its possibly something else with the same symptoms and i know its dramatic but im sure some of you can relate to the anxiety. I just don't know what to do anymore, if i should keep trying for other tests or just give up and hope that its mono... sorry for the long message and  thanks in advanced.

Anthony

0 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It’s sounds like mono to me especially if you have the fatigue too.

It took me 5 months to get diagnosed and my dr shunned me as all my blood results were normal . Even the ER room didn’t catch It!

Do you know what your EBV results are ?

I kind of diagnosed myself and demanded a blood test.

This is a very critical time for you ... going undiagnosed I thought it was hormones so I kept on exercising like a maniac ... WRONG thing to do.

You must rest ! Take as many immune boosting supplements as possible try to eliminate dairy and loads of water and fresh fruit vegetables .  

It’s a terrible terrrible illness . 

• Posted

yes my EBV results are - IgG Positive, IgM Negative, IgG Positive. Apparently i missed the window so they cannot say for sure if i have it now
  • Posted

Hi Ant,

I hope you feel better soon. Yes, I do have the same issue with you with the eyes not focussing. My vision also gets blurred and I have floaters which is a nuisance working on the computer all day. I sometimes feel like I am having an out of body experience and walking on air. 

I am 13.5 months in and whilst I am recovering, it has been a slow and frustrating process at times.

• Posted

it seems to be better when i'm still but as soon as i try and go for a walk or drive i feel dizzy sad  it kills me that i cant even go for a walk down my own street

• Posted

Sorry to hear ant. Hope it improves soon. I remember going through that in the early stages. Now i have the occasional motion sickness in a car or on the train which is a nuisance.
    • Posted

So sorry to hear this Ant, I really do empathise as at the moment I'm struggling with sciatica pain that has got me so down and finding it difficult to do things. I really hope and pray things settle down for you Ant, things do get better with this virus just hang in there for now I know it's not easy. I know you're most probably like me in a bit of a dark place right now, hoping and praying God can bring the light back to our lives and take us in and restore us and protect us and get us back on our feet again.

Thinking about you Ant, just rest when you need to right now and ask God for help - it's all we can do, sometimes all I can say is help God because I can't seem to put anything more constructive together in prayer often at the worst moments.

Craig

• Posted

Kay did the doctor give you anything for it or did you just wait it out?
    • Posted

Hi ant,

Just waiting it out. I am taking various supplements but that was not his suggestion - these are things I have been taking for a while like vitamin c, d, e, omega 3 etc.

• Posted

Further my last, my result was exactly the same as yours i.e. my IgG and EBNA were positive and IgM was negative so the conclusion is it is a past infection. My test was done 13 months after my symptoms start so I only got these results a week ago. My doctor's opinion is that based on my symptoms, contracted ebv within the past year or 2 and whilst the virus is no longer active, I am going through post viral symptoms which can take some time to disappear. His opinion is that it could take weeks, months or years - no one knows. But I should be rest assure I have passed the worst.

My results also showed I had another virus CMV in the past.

• Posted

Yes just resting about post viral symptoms another hurdle to jump . this bugger is a tough one ! I just want to say ‘leave ! Go back into your hiding place !’ 
  • Posted

I know this is an old thread but I had a positive monospot and then panel showed past possibly recent infection so my dr said it could have been the time we tested or a reactivation of a past infection!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.