Do I have surgery or not?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone, I have my gallbladder removal tomorrow but I am getting increasingly anxious about whether to go ahead or not. I am reading so many things on the Internet about how sometimes it is not necessary to remove the gallbladder. I don't have excruciating pain like other people do but I do have bloatedness and nausea and a niggle on my right side. I do have three gallstones the largest is 2.5 cm. Should I adjust my diet instead?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I am in the same boat as you. Do you have sludge, thinning of the wall etc as this isn't good. I keep telling myself that only people who have had problems which is supposed to be 10% will come on here while hundreds of others each month won't as they are ok.

It is really upto you and take into consideration what the consultant said. If mine isn't healthy I will have it out. Better that than cancer later on.

Good luck in what you decide.

• Posted

Thank you Anita. I haven't had an MRI scan only an ultrasound which is what picked up the gallstones. So I do not really know if My gallbladder is inflamed at all. And I would have no idea if I have sludge as I don't really know the difference in symptoms. I really feel that I could have done with more time to explore more but my op date came through quite quickly which has made me feel like I may be rushing into it as I've not had a lot of time to adapt to my diet etc . If I do have sludge is that easy to get rid of Without surgery ?
  • Posted

I have only had an ultra sound and see my consultant next week. I wasn't having sypmtons then but the last few weeks I have. From what I have read on here sludge isn't good. I am hoping I can have a MRI scan or a Hida test done to see if my gallbladder is functioning as it should. I only have 1 stone the same size as yours and as it is big there is a risk of it moving and blocking the duct. I only have a niggle, nausea but have started to have a lot of stomach ache after I have eaten. I am trying to find out if certain foods are triggering it by slowly eliminating them.
    • Posted

We seem to be having almost identical symptoms. I think it is a good idea you have an MRI scan only wish I had asked for one sooner. But as I said my surgery date came through pretty quick I was shocked.I don't like the risk of the gallstones getting stuck in the bile duct as that happened to my mother and she was in absolute agony. I guess I will just go ahead with surgery anyway. Thanks for replying and I really hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

I hope reading these posts you will not be put off. You can live with gallstones providing you do not have any symptoms but once you do it changes that slightly. My father-in-law died last month at the age of 89 and he never had his removed, didn't alter his diet in anyway but never had any symptoms from it. I know 5 people that have had theirs removed and are fine. One had hers done 35years ago when things weren't as advanced as they are now and she told me to get it out before it gets worse.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow, let me know if you went ahead with it and how you got on. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi there

Just letting you know I had my op yesterday. They found a lArge stone 3cm owch. So far I'm ok bit sore and swollen but looking forward to not having those niggly symptoms. Time will tell I guess. The stone was located near the neck of the gallbladder so the bile wasn't releasing sufficiently. I knew there was something wrong. So far I can

say that seeing the stone I'm glad it's out of me. Hope you're feeling ok. X

• Posted

Hi, That is so good to hear, good on you. Had a rough few days just cleaned my hallway and now I'm shattered which isn't right. I go on Wednesday to let him know if I want it out. This is beginng to affect my life and stop me from going out so am thinking it might be best to have it out. I am just so scared to say yes.
    • Posted

I was in with 3 other ladies all had theirs removed. It's quite common. They had theirs earlier than me and already they said they were feeling much better. I have to say that although I am sore and bruised from the incisions the nausea has gone and the backpain has also gone. I know it is early days but so far so good. I hope you make the right decision for you.
    • Posted

And I had a good chat to the surgeon beforehand and told him I was worried as my symptoms were nowhere near as bad as some people's. But he fully explained to me how gallstones can get increasingly worse and that actually I had it done at the right time before it got infected and affected my liver. X
    • Posted

Glad to hear you are feeling better smile take it easy and heal up
    • Posted

PPY.....

How’s your feeling?

did you prepare for that stomach craps..?

well its normal ok..

Its just really  a heavy pain, we all experience it before..

and also accept that you

are somewhat need to adjust your

foods and diet also, if your liver is producing

more bile acids of less bile acids, there are some things and foods that you have to eat or do,

later on you will adjust your lifestyle without gallbladder,,

remember:

1. A month or after, there are POSSIBLE other small pain.

you will feel this and it is normal

*shoulderblade pain  “ take some small massage on that part”

if you ate so much or too much fatty foods

*some bit of stomach pain, and that is normal “air inside your body” take some walk and you feel that the pain is fading,,

dont eat too much, you can eat fatty foods now

but don’t abuse it ok?

If you don’t feel those pains then its Good on you..

“Too much” is not Good to us.. always ..

Good thing you follow our advice..

Godbless! Don’t forget to thank our Creator!

• Posted

I only had 2 episodes of real pain before I saw a surgeon. He told me that chances were that the pain would increase and I would need surgery but left it up to me to decide. I dont like pain - and gallstone pain is total agony - so I opted to have it removed. 3 months on and I'm fine, no more pain and I feel great. You will read many stories from people who have suffered after the op but for every one of them there will be hundreds who have no further bother. I hope all goes well for you x
    • Posted

Thanks Chris for replying and putting me at ease actually. That is really good news for you glad you feel better. I suppose I just need to know I will feel better after the Op otherwise I know I will regret it. That is the question isn't it? Thanks again
  • Posted

I had fifteen years of annual agonising attacks..constant billiousness and host of other symptoms but was mis diagnosed. Finally was diagnosed correctly had mine removed last February 2014 ..I feel a new woman. So so much better ...no complications ..I only post on here as I am a carer and stuck at home .. You are right ..if you fully recover why post on here? 

I had a quick appt for operation etc... They know what they are doing ..my friend is having to wait at the moment 16 week wait for her operation as she's not priority...she's in constant pain but not agony ..

try not to panic ...

• Posted

I cant say yes you should or no  but I put it off for 5 years and in the end it was very badly deseased and could have killed me if the Doc thinks you should have it done then I definately would. Sandy xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.