Do I need help!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm new to this group and I'm looking for some guidance if possible. The problem is after drinking alcohol the next couple of days I suffer from really bad anxiety, to the point where I feel so down and physically sick. Sometimes I feel so ashamed and I go in to depressed mode. Also the last couple of years I've been having blackouts after really heavy sessions. I keep promising myself I will never do it again but it plays a big part of my social life and I feel pressured at times. I dont always blackout but when I do, I've been told I become aggresive and start to pick arguments or fights with people. When I hear the stories I feel discusted with myself because I'm not that kind of person, I would literally do anything for anyone within reason. I'm not alcohol dependant although 10 years ago when I was 18 I drank everyday for approximately 1 year as I wasn't in a great place. Its just that once or twice a week I have a really heavy blow out and I feel so ill for days afterwards, the anxiety is unbearable. I've also noticed that once I start drinking I find it difficult to stop once I've reached a certain limit. But I can actually take it or leave it some weeks, but then I need a blow out. I've spoke to a few close friends and one of them suggested AA but I'm not really sure if this is the right idea ? I do suffer from anxiety and panick attacks but the alcohol just makes it worse. Especially with the blackouts, I dont seem to have any pre warning with the blackouts. I can be feeling merry one minute and then I wake up in the morning with hours missing from the night. I know its easy to say just dont drink but I'm finding a big struggle to completely avoid it. Any advice would be really appreciated 

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi. Given up on hospital ( no help at all, they just chuck you out once you've sober enough, sometimes in the middle of night, plus won't give detox or medication) plus given up on addaction ( social services) wouldn't give me a detox for several weeks or rehab 8 weeks. So detoxed myself( dangerous and frightening). Won't go in to details as ive posted this before. Re addaction, was seen by a girl who looked about 20 with obviously no experience of alcoholism. She wouldn't see me on one occasion as I smelt of drink. Drrr I'm an alcoholic what do they expect? 

So to help me to detox myself I kept in touch with a guy in the alcohol advisory service who I've known on and off for a few years. He was an alcoholic but sober 20 years, so understands. He told me to always taper as I was having horrendous withdrawals, which could have been fatal. He's helped me a lot. He got into trouble from addaction for helping me as I was under addaction( social services) who said he was not allowed to have contact with me while I was under their care. Care, what care??? None!!!

Its all ver political and people are dieing because they can't get a detox in our area. I've refuse to go to addaction again and once they've signed me off I can get counselling again from who ever I want. It makes me so angry! 

• Posted

Addiction are rubbish, I've not been there myself but I know several people who've said exactly the same as you. What's their connection with social services?

You can self refer at ADS, either by phone or online or drop in. They have a resident dr who can prescribe for detox, they check on you by phone.

good to see you back paper fairy, missed you

• Posted

Yes, I agree that they (Addaction) are rubbish, oxygen thiefs.

I would also like to know their connection to social services, as I have heard that a few times here, but have but unable to find any connection online.

• Posted

RHGB neither can I! Someone somewhere must have the answer
    • Posted

They are a charity who, for some reason, have patients referred to them by the NHS and Social Services. Having been an NHS nurse, in the past, I am very aware that these services are never subject to reviews of their practice and no account is taken of what their success rate is.

I'd better say no more or I could end up saying things that the moderators here would need to clean up or delete smile

• Posted

Thanks Paul. Who ever they are they are rubbish!!! And thanks Paul for taking the time to chat to me a few weeks ago :-)
    • Posted

Well, I can speak as an individual, who has nothing to lose, and no professional career in this field to be worried about. But I did go down that route with Addaction before I arranged to sort it out myself, and I have documentation to back up what I say. They are useless and were totally unhelpul and I told their head of clinical services (on the phone) how I had been let down. I have to give him his due, he was a nice person who responded well.

Everyone can be a charity these days, with donations from all sorts of political directions, it is a far cry from public funded charities.

I was told (by them) that they are paid on their success rate, and that sending someone to hospital was expensive and they avoided that at all cost.I live three doors down from a very nice village pub, where there are always friends to chat to. I wanted to go into a hospital enviroment to take me away from temptation, which is 20 seconds from my doorstep.

Not interested, didn't understand the psychology of having a nice friendly pub on your doorstep, with a great social life inside. I needed to be away from that, but they just didn't care.

• Posted

Yes, keep away from Addaction, they are not good for your wellbeing. You did the right thing in reading here and helping yourself. Addaction will push you further into the drink. Well done that you sorted yourself out.

Yes it is political and yes, for all others reading this, tapering is the best way to go. It takes a bit of willpower to cut down consumption every few nights, but is far easier than the madness of cold turkey.

• Posted

Well, sending somebody to hospital is done based on an assessment of clinical need. That need may be related to social circumstances in your case. I can't comment on your own individual circumstances because I haven't done an assessment on you but I know that Addaction are limited in their ability to assess people medically and psychologically in some areas of the country at least. It is more a case of fitting you into the service they offer rather than fitting their service to your needs.
    • Posted

I wasn't even given the chance to explain the reasoning for my wanting to detox in hospital. Whilst I realise it is more cost effective to do home detox, it is completely un-cost effective if the failure rate is high.

I would question, how can you determine the best method, when you won't even allow the patient to explain their predicament and what they fear will happen. Surely the best way for people to be treated medically, is to analyse the mind and the body, i.e. mental state as well as bodily health.

And as Vickylou said below, quoting them " well we've always done it that way". It's that one size fits all, bash a square peg into the round hole, and don't worry about it if it breaks, for anyone reading that that doesn't understand, square peg is a metaphor for a human being.

For anyone reading this, try your GP, if no luck, try tapering off or try the drug that both Paul and Joanna have written about many times, either of who, I'm sure would be happy to answer questions on.

Routes to avoid, are Addaction and cold turkey, I'll get told off for saying it, but I'd try the latter before the former and I've tried both, neither were a pleasant experience for me. That last line was a bit tongue in cheek, cold turkey can be very dangerous.

• Posted

I have just had a woman on the phone who was told by her local drug and alcohol service to reduce her drinking gradually. She has been doing that and finds herself today with severe withdrawal symptoms after reducing to zero over 5 days and there is nobody for her to call at the weekend. She has an appointment on Monday with those same people and I have had to tell her to drink and to explain to her father that it is crucial that she drinks until she can get medical assistance in the form of a detox. Reducing slowly is almost impossible for many people.

I don't expect that she will be given a detox on Monday and fully expect her back on the phone to me.

As she was on a bottle of vodka a day, I wouldn't recommend that she tried The Sinclair Method without a detox first as she could take Nalmefene or Naltrexone, not feel like drinking and then go into severe withdrawal which could be dangerous.

With regard to your question about in-patient detox, it is extremely difficult to get this on the NHS. There are sometimes circumstances where a person's medical condition makes it essential and then it is more likely it will be offered but I have even seen cases where this has been denied (scandalous!)

We, ourselves, don't have a hospital and try to help people where we can but we can't take risks with people's lives and will do all we can to convince hospitals to admit people for the first three days and then we will pick things up after that but, as we not only stand to lose our registrations but also our liberty if we were considered to have acted in a medically neglectful way, our hands are tied, really and there ARE some cases where we really cannot help.

Home detox is safer in most circumstances than no detox at all and we always insist on a person (family member or good reliable friend) being present to act as supervisor during a detox, which would also help in a case like yours was as long as both the patient and supervisor recognise that this is a clinical procedure which needs to be taken seriously and that going out alone (anywhere) during it, is not an option if it is going to be safe and effective. If people can't agree to this, we can't take the risk of doing it.

I agree that in your circumstances at that time, an in-patient detox was the most ideal, but in the absence of that option, being 'sat on' (not literally, of course) with 24 hour telephone suppport and speaking to a qualified person before every dose as a minimum, is the next best option.

• Posted

I don't envy you Paul, I get very frustrated when I can't sort things out, both in my personal and professional life.

I suspect you will be getting that call on Monday, I hope something is done for her and that she is probably not that old if her father is involved.

But where is she going to go? Most GPs will not get involved, A&E will not take her unless she is admitted for another problem and the GMC, NHS and goverments preferred option is well, we know who they are and have discussed them at length. They will not detox her for at least two maybe three months, if she turns out to be a model student and jumps through the hoops.

No wonder people turn to the murky world of online medicine purchases.

• Posted

Actually, it is very much easier for me than if I was bound by the constraints of the NHS and budgets. It is nice to be able to pick up and help people when they are let down by what should be provided free by the NHS.

She will come to us. I can't say more publicly as it is not appropriate for me to promote what I do in this forum. I come here to offer free advice and support where I can. I will happily answer any questions you have about what I do if you send me a private message smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.