Do i need to give fluoxetine longer to work?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I know everyone is different, but how long do i need to give fluoxetine to work fully? I'm on week 13 of 20mg and although my anxiety is a bit better i feel like i'm just wishing my life away while waiting to feel better. Does anyone have any positive advice (pretty please).

0 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I will be at 13 weeks on Wed. I am currently on 40mg for 3weeks. It's for obsessive behavior and anxiety. Although I might be starting to feel some improvement the past couple of days. I am going to hang in there and discuss this with my Dr. in a few weeks. I would suggest maybe you do the same.I hope you start feeling better.

• Posted

Just hearing you're starting to feel a bit better is a great help!! I went to the doctors last week but they can't give answers to how long it may take, and i really don't like the thought of upping my dose. Its reassuring knowing its not just me going through this right now, so I'll hang in there and see how it goes...

thank you!!!!

• Posted

I started at 20 mg for 5 weeks then 30 mg for 5 weeks now I am on 40 mg for the past 3 weeks. Side effects when increasing were minimal. Only a slight headache for a few days

• Posted

hi lindsay you might find u need to increase the tablets to get an effect iwas on 20 mg for 3wks then gp upped it to 40 mg been taking higher dose 2wks but not seen much improvement yet.everyone is different some take longer than others to get a lift gp told me 6 wks or more so hang on in there just remember we are all in it together and keep hoping for a break.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, it does help hearing from people going through the same thing. I'm taking fluoxetine for anxiety and low mood, and 13 weeks in my anxiety is much better but my low mood remains, i had terrible side effects when starting taking them and the thought of them coming back if i up my dose scares me. I'm not asking to be on cloud 9 all the time but just to be able to enjoy my life and look forward to things, instead of feeling like a have a dark cloud looming over me all the time. Hope you're feeling better soon!!

• Posted

How are you both doing? I'm made up with cold at the mo so been in bed for the last 2 days feeling even more sorry for myself, still trying to hang on in there though! 🤞🤞

• Posted

hi lindsey hope ure feeling a bit better today i know what u mean by a dark cloud it feels like it has been over me forever as well.i think i feel slightly brighter today but wont say any more or i will put the mockers on it and be way down again tomorrow.thats the worst part about this illness u think uve turned a corner only to be wiped off your feet again.it is so disappionting it has taken my confidence this time and i wonder whether i will get back to some normality.still got to keep onwards and upwards im sure it will improve but when .please keep in touch this forum certainly helps to try and see a way through the fog.xx

• Posted

My cold is much better now thank you, and today I'm feeling a little more positive (hope i don't jinx it) but I'm hoping the tablets are finally starting to work!! It's now 14 weeks on them for me, and I've searched the internet for success stories and some people say they can take up to 4 months to start working, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed, i've been so up and down since taking them and it doesn't help not knowing if its just a waste of time and i'll have to start all over with another type of drug. But for now my anxiety is loads better, and my mood is not as low. It really does help talking on here and knowing i'm not on my own so please keep in touch, and i really hope you're feeling better soon xx

• Edited

Hi, I have been on 20mg Fluox for 14 months. It can take a few months to see a difference,probable 4-6 months for me to feel better. Now I am trying to wean off and I am missing a dose every 3 days initially. I remember the first 8-12 weeks and thinking that nothing was changing but as others have said please try and hang in there as it does work eventually. I didn't need to up my dose but I read that others sometime have to go to higher dose. Best to consult with GP. I had a lot of reservations the first few weeks but now I am so glad that I stuck to it. good luck and hope you are feeling better. 😃

• Posted

thank you so much, i just needed to hear those words!!! I'm now on week 14 and my mood has lifted a little but it feels such a long drawn out job and i'd hate to think that after all this time i'd have to start again with something new. I'll give it a couple more weeks and see how it goes, it really helps talking on here and knowing i'm not alone. So glad its worked for you and fingers crossed i'll get there too!! 😊 xx

• Posted

We are at the exact same place Lindsey. I am hoping for some better results in the future

• Posted

It's so bloody up and down isn't it!!! I'm doing my best to try and stay positive but in the meantime i'm doing my own head in by thinking that the fluoxetine isn't working right or its taking too long and will i ever feel right again!!! I over think everything anyway so this really doesn't help.....

please keep in touch and let me know how you're doing xx

• Posted

Wow we sound exactly the same. I am a couple of days past 14 weeks. I have been taking 40 mg for 4 weeks. Obsessive thoughts are still there and behavior but I think maybe the anxiety with it isn't as bad. I really think it's going to take a higher dose for me. Be well

• Posted

hi lindsey and postaldogg sounds like we are allin the same boat going up and down like a flippin yo yo.i had a couple of good days dare i say but back to feeling a bit lost again today but not as down as i was just wish it would stablize so feel it is going to work.we seem to be our own worst enemy at times dont we thinking its not going to work but its that little man in your head who keeps saying it might not work wish we could strangle him out the way we might believe more then.well ive had my moan hope you two are feeling a bit positive tomorrows another day .by the way has it affected your sleep mines not to good at the moment and i really need my sleep it makes me so irritated with myself it doesnt help my mood keep in touch even if its just to have a moan.!!x

• Posted

I know what you mean with that little man in your head doubting bloody everything!!! I had a couple of days feeling ok but something inside keeps telling me its not going to last, and now i'm back to feeling kind of flat and wish i could just turn my thoughts off for a while to give me a break. But my anxiety isn't through the roof so the tablets must be doing something! As for sleeping, i've slept more since being on them and sometimes mornings are hard work just getting up. It does help having a good moan on here and getting things off your chest!! xx

• Edited

hi have put a reply to u and paul and postal dogg on pauls web page (8wks and not feeling anybetter)hpoe ure feeling a bit brighter todayi do think u might be better to ask ure gp to increase your tabs i didnt find 20mg didnt help at all but after abuot 5 wks on 40 mg ifeel so much better but i must say i had my doubts it was ever going to change like i said on pauls my appetite and sleep have got a lot better.have u been running anymore.i am starting to go out a bit know and catch up with people ive avoided of late hpoefully will want to meet up with friends i havent seen for months soon.will keep in touch keep running they say exercise is the best thing i will stick to walking my days running are over.dont give up its worked for me i will be thinking about u.xx

• Posted

Hi bazza, i've replied to the other message too on pauls but just seen this one!

I'm at the doctors next thursday and i'm asking for my dose to be increased (finally) but it scares me!!

I'm so pleased that you're finally starting to feel better and getting your life back, it helps me stay positive!!

I've only been running for just over a year as the doctor said exercise can help, and i'll try anything to get me out of this dark hole i seem to be in! I've got to as i have a 12 year old daughter and i feel i'm letting her down and and its so not fair for her because of me feeling like this (which makes my anxiety so much worse) but i love her so bloody much!!

I didn't want to start taking antidepressants, but knew i just has too, its like a constant battle in my mind!

It so hard to explain to people whats really going off in your head , thats why it helps talking on here.

I hope you continue to get better, and please stay in touch xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.