Do i need to give fluoxetine longer to work?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I know everyone is different, but how long do i need to give fluoxetine to work fully? I'm on week 13 of 20mg and although my anxiety is a bit better i feel like i'm just wishing my life away while waiting to feel better. Does anyone have any positive advice (pretty please).

0 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

im on 20mg for over a year & it has honestly changed my life. The first few months were rocky & i had every side effect going. i checked the internet every day, hoping the way i felt was normal. Im now loving life & most importantly, enjoying it. Yes i have the odd wobble but its temporary. STICK WITH IT. X

• Posted

hi lindsey iknow what u mean about the thoughts in your head that it wont last ifeel exactly the same.having said that i do feel brigter these last couple of days so perhaps they are starting to work i been on them almost 7 wks 3 wks at 20 mg and 4 wks at 40 mg im also taking a supplement called brainsmart mood advanced brain nutrition got it off the internet i ask my psychiatrist if it was ok to take with the meds and he said yes so im giving them ago.the reason im taking them along side prozac is i dont want to have to up the prozac dose because of the dreaded side effects if u get the supplements right dose it should help.how are u feeling today any more hopeful .i dread the feeling of going down again but have had 4 days feeling better so i live in hope it gets better and better hpoe to hear from u soon.xx

• Posted

So glad to hear that you're starting to feel a bit better!! I've had a couple of down days again and i've been on them just over 14 weeks but terrified of going up from 20mg because of the side effects, i'm hoping this is just another blip and maybe the weather isn't helping because its so cold and started to snow here! I'm still going to give it a couple more weeks to see if theres any improvement as then i'll be near the 4 month mark, and i'm crossing everything!!! 🤞🤞🤞 Hope you continue to feel better & speak to you soon xxx

P.S. let me know if the brainsmart supplement helps any!! xx

• Posted

hi lindsey just clocking in to say ive had another good day im sleeping better and my appetite has come back a bit still dont eat anything much till lunch just have a coffee but thats fine i dont really fancy any food till later.how are u today any brighter it a bugger when yuor mood dips again just when yu think youre on the up but fingers crossed it might be better tomorrow will be thinking about u.i will keep u informed how i go on with the brainsmart i know its extra to pay for but if they help i will try anything and the plus side there is no side effects.be in touch soon.xx

• Posted

Today has been a good day, i've felt much brighter 😊, talk about up and down though!!

It sounds like the tablets are starting to work for you, thats brilliant!!

I still can't eat before around lunch time though as i'm really not feeling hungry, i think that's the one thing i'm happy about as i've now lost just over a stone in weight!!! Any other time i'd be buzzing with this but i'd sooner have my head right and be fatter than being thinner and unhappy. What really does my head in is that i've really no reason to feel the way i do, and i should be happy with what i've got, theres people out there that have such worse things going off in their lives yet i'm here still trying to just be happy (and normal) (if that makes sense) but i can't help how i feel or what goes off in my head!! Hoping for another good day tomorrow, and i hope you have another good one too!!! keep in touch xxx

• Posted

Hi, how's everyone doing? Good i hope 😊 xxxx

• Posted

they are for me too!!! I seem to get better as the day goes on but the next day comes and i'm back to square one! It seems never ending doesn't it!! x

• Posted

I don't know if it's because during the day we are involved in other things. But in the morning it's like ok what will I feel like today

• Posted

Well of to my doctor appt. this morning to discus my progress. I am on 40 mg but not getting the results I want

• Posted

I thought he might have upped your dose again!! did he say how much longer to give it? are you feeling any better at all or about the same? x

• Posted

I have been on the 40 mg dose for the past 5 weeks. He was apprehensive about increasing as it could cause some other problems. I don't have to see him again for 3 months. Like I said the thoughts about wanting to check something are still there but the anxiety isn't as intense

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.