Do others who have COPD suffer with extreme fatigue?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have COPD and over a period of 6 mths my energy levels are extremly low resulting in me have very little energy to do the simpliest of tasks, I was wondering if others suffer with this also.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi.

I asked for the Alpha 1 blood test due to 2 members of my family having COPD and showing positive for the Alpha 1 gene. My blood test showed that I did not have the Alpha 1 gene. My mother also had COPD and this was the main factor in her death. I was treated from the age of 21 for Asthma. It was not until 30 year later that they did a series of tests and stated I have dual diagonsis of Asthma/COPD. Bizzare one thinks !!. My Mother was on 24hr oxygen. Thankfully I am not using this as yet. Does any one know when they decide that Oxygen is beneficial. 

I am normally a bubbly person however I do beat myself up when I cant do the activities/tasks I once did. This does sometimes leads to feeling sorry for oneself, but I soon give myself a reality check and think about those who have severe disabilities from birth.

I relish all the good advice members have offered me and thank you all for taken the time out to respond.

• Posted

Hi possibly going on oxygen is a decision made by your medics.  It doesn't help you breathe directly but it does support your other organs and prevent damage.   You would not be considered for this unless your sats regularly go down under 88 and especially under 84 which is the cut off point for possible organ damage. 

You may never need oxygen coz not all us copders do,  and it's usually only when and if you reach the more severe stage.  Do you know your lung function?

I am relieved you haven't got Alpha 1.  x

Do you have an oxymeter so you can check your sats?   It can be a good idea if you think they dip too low.  I paid £20 from Amazon for mine and it is accurate.

• Posted

I don't have an odometer but I will look on Amazon to see if I can purchase one. Thanks for your advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.