Do people eventually need both hips replaced?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi I'm 4 months post op on left hip..I'm just wondering if alot of people need their other hip replaced .my right is feeling a familiar feeling at times ..feeling a little down

Connie

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm with ya, Connie.  Wish I had had a choice in getting this done at all :-(

Melanie

• Posted

My left hip feels better .now my right hip feels funny..my lower back hurts on both side..wondering if it's SI joint..I'm walking and stuff..it's just when I stand I feel yucky...once I start walking it's better..but not perfect .all in all I'm happy I had my left hip replaced .I can walk normal..I was just wondering if it's common to eventually need both done..I've been praying for God just to heal me..I would be happy with that.....very happy ..hehe

• Posted

I had to have my second hip done four months after first. Was a surprise as it didn't look bad in X-rays but it happened by the time I had my 12 week check up on my first hip. 

• Posted

Ugh...please no...I have to get through the school year...I don't think I have enough sick days left for another..I'm trying to muscle up my legs..

• Posted

They say hip ops come in twos. I have only had one dine and was told when I had the X-ray after the op that the other was looking a bit rough.
    • Posted

Before surgery I had none to very little pain ...i go to Dr in 6 days...

• Posted

I suppose it depends on why you needed the first one done. My daughter's father-in-law only needed one hip replaced as his problem was caused by running hurdles. I needed both hips replaced because I have arthritis. The first hip was done a year ago and I'm still not totally back from that one. The second hip was four months ago and that one is doing well. Once the weather gets cooler I will start my daily walks and that will tell me how I'm doing. I certainly don't have the horrible pain that I had before the operations.

• Posted

No - I have studied my X-Rays with my surgeon, and there is plenty of life left in my 'good' hip.

It doesn't necessarily follow, but I have no idea why one has worn out, and the other is OK.

• Posted

After any of your surgeries did you ever feel any discomfort in your other hip...I'm just very upset..my operated hip feels ok..once in awhile I get twinges..but when I stand I get pain in my lower back..my other hip is starting to feel yucky..I can walk and do exercises..but once in a while I get shooting pain..I really cant take any more time off of work for awhile..I'm trying to muscle up my legs..hoping it will alleviate the discomfort..I'm a little bummed..I just got my life back..riding my horse and walking ..don't mean to sound like a baby..

• Posted

I have had some odd pains in my lower back and both hips, I was told it was a classic case of a disc in the spine pressing on a nerve.  I had booked to see my osteopath, when my hip decided to disintegrate, and the pain from my back disappeared at about that time, so I never got to see her.

I'd try an osteopath, chiropractor or sports physio to see if they can sort it out as it sounds similar.  Nerve pain can be intermittent, but extremely painful.  I used to get a feeling like someone was pushing a spear through my back and out of my chest, my physio thought it was a trapped nerve in the neck, and told me to see the osteopath. She sorted it in one visit, and it turned out to be a problem in my neck. With her neck exercises the problem has never returned.

• Posted

Very interesting...oddly I have that feeling in my upper back..o just figured I pulled something...my neck is very crackly at times....before my surgery my hips would rotate causing the SI joint to dislocate..was taught how to fix it but it would never stay..the pt thought it was because I so badly needed my hip replaced ...

• Posted

chicken,if youre a baby then i am too!i hope you dont need your other hip done-i had my right hip done and x rays showed the other one was ok,so im hoping it will last me out! i too feel like ive got my life back-after 6 months im now fine walking my dogs without a crutch!ive got two hands again! wonderful!.best wishes!xxxx
  • Posted

No way to determine that other than on an individual basis.

My surgeon said my right hip (not operated one) is good with no evidence of arthritis or anything else that would be an issue.

• Posted

I’m just back from my 6 week check! My other hip does have osteoarthritis as well, but X-rays show very little deterioration in the last 6 months so surgeon was hopeful he wouldn’t see me for a few years. 2.5 years ago they implied they were as bad as each other. And he said that only 1 in 4 who have a hip replacement need the other one doing ...  
    • Posted

Do you feel any discomfort in you good hip....so basically 25 % need both hips...
    • Posted

In the last couple of months pre the op on my left hip I really felt my right one was taking the strain. I do also have psoriatic arthritis and had been flaring a lot. That calmed right down with the op as did the right hip pain. I have been getting some sciatica / pain in the rear of the hip that then shoots down to my knee then ankle but it is lessening as my leg length issue resolves. Hip osteo  arthritis bone pain is usually at the front.  But lots of other reasons why pain can occur in the region. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.