Do people eventually need both hips replaced?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi I'm 4 months post op on left hip..I'm just wondering if alot of people need their other hip replaced .my right is feeling a familiar feeling at times ..feeling a little down

Connie

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was told my 2nd hip would need replacing in 2- 3 years when my first was done, by the ortheopedic surgeon.

At 12 - 13 weeks out walking and feeling marvelous, with my nice new shiny right hip, not even thinking about the possibility I might be doing my self harm, I was hit by sudden extreme pain in my left hip crossing the road, I had to hop on my new hip, collapsed on the side of the road. 

Husband took me to local GP, he referred my back to ortheo surgeon, and suggested I had torn the cartledge in the hip joint, 12 weeks if cartledge, and 6 weeks if muscle, as I stumbled out the door with some very strong painkillers.

Had to wait 13 weeks for appt at hospital, saw the same surgeon who had done my first replacement, he was shocked to see me, told him what had happened, he ordered up an immediate x-ray, and showed me the results of the x-rays I had done during my surgery 26 weeks previous, first hip, and what it looked like now, even I could see the difference, ortheo surgeon said I was wrong you are going to need the other hip replaced, but its not urgent like the first hip, you are going to have to wait, end result, had a 14 months  between first replacement and 2nd.

• Posted

Oh my..what an ordeal..I'm so sorry that happened to you...how are you getting along now...are you getting around normal,?

• Posted

Had some issues with leg length discrepancy, but have adjusted now, and fine, have even started a weight loss regime, 5 kilos in the last few months, and also getting fit with big group of older ladies, a really good laugh, and much fun.

• Posted

Left hip done in February, now right hip is getting painful as I am much more active, doing over ten thousand steps most days if I can .so right hip is packing a sad, especially getting in and out of the car walking up stairs or hills. Going back to my surgeon to schedule it in November, he told me to come back when I was ready, on X-ray it’s not as bad as my left was but it is more painful. Sometimes it is so sore I can’t move which can be embarrassing, it locks up and I just have to wait till it frees up. Scared of having another joint done, but also grateful it is possible.
    • Posted

Yes Bridget this is exactly what's going on..I had left hip done...my right is not as bed as my left was..I am not limping around ..some days it's better than others..I have been walking and building muscle..I must say it is helping..I go to Dr on wed...I will see what he has to say..

Connie

• Posted

Not necessarily. I had my left hip done in 2015 and was told that the right one was “normal”. 
  • Posted

Hi Connie,

Not sure if I replied to you but as folks say, it all depends on why the op was needed, and yes, most folk I've met or discussed here do need a second op.

not always closely -mine were 13 years apart!

Good luck with your hips!

Mic

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.