Do you ever feel you have been spun round

Posted , 2 users are following.

Do you ever feel you have been spun round slowly when you go in big shops, i dont know if this is anxiety or what but when i go shopping my head gets tight when i enter then my nose runs then when i stop at a shelf i feel i could tip towards then when i get home im shattered and feel slightly dizzy. has anyone ever experienced this co im quite concerned about it and it really spoils any shopping experience i used to enjoy. thank you x

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, I used to put it doen to the bright lights in shops. But now I know its my body reacting to the situation.

But there is nothing to worry about and you will not fall over.

I suffered for years till I got help and got it sorted.

Make sure it does not spoil your shopping, when it happens ignore it, its not real its your body sending signals saying you should be worried about being here, but its a false signal and needs to be ignored.

The more you do it, the less you will feel dizzy.

I avoided shops and supermarkets and crowds for years. Not any more.

Hope it sorts its self out.

x

• Posted

Thank you John I really appreciate your speedy reply. I thought i was getting used to this troublesome feeling but today its just got to me as i'v only been in two shops and wanted to get out as soon as i'd entered but soldiered on. I do try and ignore it but it reminds you all the time doesnt it. Do you feel shattered when this happens? i so want my life back were i used to do several things at once and never even thought about it but now i just get so tired, i seem to have lost all my energy. Like you i avoid shopping unless i have to and to day i did but i want go in big shops on my own in case i feel im going to faint. Dose it really get better John ? thanks x
  • Posted

When you understand how Anxiety works, which is what it is Worry when there is nothing to worry about. Its easy to get rid off. Your body is reacting to what your brain is saying. You are doing this without even thinking about it. Which is a good thing, you want your body to so this, but only in the right situation, like crossing the road and a cars coming or you are been chased by a wild lion!! Not shopping.

So you worry, once that starts your in the cycle.

It also can take up 80% of your mind, so you are only functioning with 20%, thats why you can not concentrate etc and your body is working flat out on sorting this worry thats not there, thats why you shattered.

Its crackers really, your only worry is if you feel worried!!! Whats that all out.

I still get the feelings now, but they are only seconds, not minutes or hours.

Its will all pass, but you need to keep telling yourself they are just feelings and they are not real, they are false readings from your brain. The hard bit it when it all passes, not thinking why I have I not feel bad for a while, because you will just bring it all back again!

Also nothing has ever happened to you when you have been in the shop and nothing ever will, they are just feelings, ignore them........

John x

• Posted

Forget about it as much as you can, live your life as normal as possible, no matter how you feel and remember you are not Ill, you dont have an illness, you are worried and your body reacts as it should when you are worried. It shakes, it produces adrenaline and you feel you need to run. But you are only worried about about worring about been worried, how daft is that!!!! Hope it sorts its self out. John
  • Posted

thank you your post has made so much sense to me, your so right. you did make me laugh about being chased by wild lions not shopping. I now understand that its my body reacting to what i'm thinking and so these symptoms appear. I will practice this by telling myself its only a feeling and a false reading from my brain. thank you hun your a star x

ps i will practice this next week whilst food shopping and let you know how i'v done

• Posted

I have never like Food Shopping, But I only avoid it now, because it bores me. Why do think they invented on-line shopping. Lol.

Also to feeling faint bit, its a total normal reaction, but I bet you £1million you will never faint. Keep moving.

No one has ever died from worry and no one ever will. So don't waste your time on it.

When you feel it, just so "No thanks, not today, too busy" and think about something elsa immediately.

It take practise, but you will be feel the benefit within days.

• Posted

P.S. No making yourself faint to get the £1m....... I dont have!!!! lol
  • Posted

thanks John, i think iv spent to long thinking i cant do that cos i'll get anxious and i fear those feelings. Your right i'v never fainted but i do suffer with low blood pressure and low blood sugar which can make me feel faint so these problems have made me anxious . its such a shame about you not sending me the £1m booo
  • Posted

Are you managing your BP and BS? Its important to not get the too muddled up, because they are genuine condition and the other is just a though process.

Dont be fainting, I would have to rob a bank!!!!

• Posted

There's nothing my Dr will do for my low blood pressure when it dips and i have to eat something every three hours to keep my sugar level even. My anxiety thoughts all started in 2012 when i kept feeling faint, trembling, cloudy vision, nausea and very cold and lost my appetite becoming very weak . iv had every test known to man, but as they took so long to have and my dr and consultant didn't really take me on so i asked for a second opinion. I'm not having any more test as its stressful waiting for an appointment then going to the hospital then some of the tests iv had have been horrid then theres waiting for the results so this year im not having any more i hope to get my life back. May i ask how yours began but completely understand if you dont want to. take care.
  • Posted

I am not sure what started mine, think it was a combination of losing family members, not like lost in supermarket, they died in a short space of time. Also had a stressful time with work and then I did the ultimate wrong thing, I started drinking too much to numb the feelings!!!! Then I felt rubbish, went to the doctors and they put me on Anti-depressants. Which was a massive mistake as I had Anxiety and not depression.....

Then it took me 6 months to get off the Anti-depressions, withdrawal was hell. To say I should never have been put on them in the 1st place.

I did everything everyone does, worried about it, Googled it, talked about it all the time and though about it all the time.

Then the lightbulb moment. I was creating this. I needed to stop talking about it, stop Googleing it, because Google is not a doctor. Just live my life as I wanted, do what I wanted and never think about it acknowledge it or talk about it. (I can now talk about it, because I understand it). BY doing them things, I was keeping it at the forefront of my mind and never letting go.

For the 1st few weeks, I made myself do things that scared me and I did not want to do. It took about 2 weeks and I was just doing things normal. The hard bit was when I started to feel better, I would think where is it and I would worry it was no longer there!!!! How mad was that.

Have you tryed Camomile Tea, its a nasty taste, but I have 2 cups before bed and it has a natural sedative. I fall asleep in minutes and wake up 8 hours later!! When I 1st felt these feelings I could be awake for 2/3 days straight. Lack of sleep made me worst.

I am boring myself now, so must be boring you now!!! lol

John x

• Posted

No boring at all but very interesting and i so relate to you as i too did all those things like worry 24/7 google every symptom i had a scared myself to death I was put on citalapan 20mg but asked if i could reduce to 10mg i took it for three months only and came off it vowing never to have medication again. I talked about it all the time to it was with me all the time but my news year resolution was to get over it . I do still come on this forum only as it helps and i posted today cos i still have this dizziness in shops or when standing for a while.

Well done for coming off the booze it must of been hard for you.

x

• Posted

Same for me Citalpram, 40 mgs for 4 years!!!!, reduced by 10mg every month and it took 6 months. Was a nightmere but that was 2 years ago.

You will associate going in shops with the Dizzyness, so you will just bring that on yourself. Simple as there, if you were ill or anything wrong you would get these feelings all the time, not just in shops or at certain times. Its hard to accept, but you bring that sensation on yourself!!!

Tell yourself, "not today, too busy for that" and move on, it will just pass, honest.

xx

• Posted

Hi Anxious Face & John

I have exactly the same going to supermarkets last week in sainsburys had to go and let Husband carry on felt faint have not been going and will take a lot to go this week shaking felt like I was walking on sponge,so reading both your posts was interesting ,I am not on antidepressants just a tablet for tremor.Any way thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Joan

I can understand it with Sainburys Prices, most people feel faint in there, lol.

Problem is now, you will associate Sainsburys shopping with that feeling and you will bring it on again when you go there. But dont avoid it, just do it. You will not faint and when you do it, you will feel better for doing.

Do not change any part of your life to accommodate it. They are feelings only and are not real..........

What you described it classic Anxiety feelings, spongy floor etc. I remember that Mr Soft advert, the bear that was made out of mints and bounced down the street. I felt like that for months once.......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.