Do you have short of breath with low ferritin?

Posted , 17 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi this is my first time posting. I seem to have all the symptoms of low ferritin. Waiting for my blood work to come back. My question is, does anyone else have shortness of breath and if so what does it feel like for you? Is it just shortness of breath when excreting yourself? I feel like my chest is heavy and tight and I can't get a good deep breath. I know part of it is my anxiety, and when I'm laying down and relaxed I feel I breathe better but standing, sitting or moving around I feel like I need to take a deep breath and when I do it just doesn't feel like I can take a great deep breath like I used to. Anyone else feel like this?

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How is everyone feeling?

My Ferritin levels are 8 should be between 10 & 300.. 

B12 is 200 and should be between 180 & 1000..

Folate is 2.3 and should be over 4.

I've been given Ferrous Fumarate 210mg to take 3 times a day but due to my IBS issues I can only take 1-2 a day for 5 days then have a 2 day break then 5 days on and 2 days off which seems to suit my belly well.. I'm on Folic acid 5mg 1 a day.

My GP said my b12 levels are fine so they aren't doing anything about that.

The worse symptoms I get is dizziness and feeling off balance and breathlessness. Since I've just had my period (even though it wasn't heavy) I'm feeling worse these last few days.

I'm really hoping it all starts settling soon as I hate feeling like this! 

I had a baby 6months ago so my GP thinks my levels are low due to childbirth and bleeding afterwards where at times it was really heavy. 

I have another blood test in September and hoping I'm feeling a bit better at least by then and my levels are going up!

Hope everyone is well and feeling great! 🙂

• Posted

This is my first time posting. I have recently been experiencing the same symptoms. I been on and off for months. I also suffer from low iron due to heavy bleeding during my cycle because of fibroids. I have been to the doctor twice had lots of blood work and chest X-rays. I know these symptoms are related to having low iron and it creates more anxiety.  But it's still really scary feeling. I've had to pull over on the road because I feel like I'm going to pass out. I'm glad everyone is sharing their stories because I thought I was going crazy. The fatigue is just as bad because all u can do is lay around it comes in waves but it sucks when it does come. Today I tried to take a very small dose of anxiety mess which has helped for now. But I will be having surgery to remove my fibroids so hopefully this wil l get better. But you are not alone.

• Posted

Yes tameka I know what you mean About it coming in waves . That part I didn't understand I figured it should be like a constant feeling but sometimes I would feel better and then very suddenly feel much worse . I wouldn't even drive by myself for a while. Very scary. Hope you start feeling better soon. I highly recommend the iron I take it's by designs for life and it's ferrochel iron. It's supposed to be the most absorbable kind of supplement aside from heme iron. I think there may be other brands that make ferrochel iron. I guess iron biglycinate in the ferrochel is the best type 

• Posted

I think we all have similar stories. My doctor has suggested many times that maybe my chest and shortness of breath is anxiety. The only thing giving me any anxiety is the fact I've been sick all year and soooo over it!! I finally had two iron infusions 4 weeks ago. Starting to feel better but still not 100%. Getting my blood work checked again this week! My ferritin only went up from 5 to 7 in 6 months of taking supplements. So that's why my doc finally ordered me infusions. 

• Posted

It is definitely so frustrating when no one believes you! I'm glad your starting to feel better. 

• Posted

Hi Elle,

I sent you a private message, but it sounds like you have almost the exact same symptoms that I have...breathlessness, etc.  I have very low ferritin (10) and low iron but have also had anxiety in the past.  My doctor thinks my strange breathing habits (yawning and periodically gasping for air) are just anxiety and put me on zoloft, but I wonder if it is related to my low ferritin/iron.  Did anything help you out?  What has been your outcome, as I realize you wrote this post almost a year ago.

• Posted

I have this exact thing happen to me. I had some stomach problems and stuff and anxiety since I was 10 (I’m 18 now) and when I was 16 I started to have dizziness fatigue seeing starts feeling like I can’t take that deep satisfying breath etc all textbook anameia symptoms. I went to the doctor and they dismissed me and said it was anxiety, because my hemoglobin was only very slightly low. When I was 17 it got so bad I wasent enjoying my life so we went back to the doctor and had my ferritin checked. It was at 8. Pills did nothing except hurt my stomach and were increasing my iron at the speed of a snail, so I would highly recomend an iron infusion directly into your blood instead of screwing around with pills. My ferritin went from 8 to 152 in a matter of just 3 weeks. Very worth it. I felt human again and just did so well in every aspect of my life for a good 3-4 months after. My levels are starting to drop again and symptoms returning so I’m just going to go for another treatment. Just know all these things your feeling are just anameia and, while horribly uncomfortable, are not life threatening. Good luck and god bless 
    • Posted

I too was dealing with similar issues this time last year. I just wanted to update everyone on my situation. I found out I have Crohn’s disease which was causing blood loss which in turn caused low hemoglobin and ferritin. I was short of breath and low on energy all the time! Had a hard time eating.  It was a long road to recovery and treatment but I’m finally there! I am on medication for Crohns now and last August had iron infusions. Took a long time for my energy and body to feel right again. I still feel short of breath some times which my doctor thought was anxiety but I think it has to do with my stomach feeling full sometimes. Either way, it’s much better and I’m able to deal with it well now. I wish you all the best. I know this sickness was so far the lowest point of my life and having support of others is so important! I hope I can be that for someone on here. 
    • Posted

I too was dealing with similar issues this time last year. I just wanted to update everyone on my situation. I found out I have Crohn’s disease which was causing blood loss which in turn caused low hemoglobin and ferritin. I was short of breath and low on energy all the time! Had a hard time eating.  It was a long road to recovery and treatment but I’m finally there! I am on medication for Crohns now and last August had iron infusions. Took a long time for my energy and body to feel right again. I still feel short of breath some times which my doctor thought was anxiety but I think it has to do with my stomach feeling full sometimes. Either way, it’s much better and I’m able to deal with it well now. I wish you all the best. I know this sickness was so far the lowest point of my life and having support of others is so important! I hope I can be that for someone on here. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.