Do you have short of breath with low ferritin?

Posted , 17 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi this is my first time posting. I seem to have all the symptoms of low ferritin. Waiting for my blood work to come back. My question is, does anyone else have shortness of breath and if so what does it feel like for you? Is it just shortness of breath when excreting yourself? I feel like my chest is heavy and tight and I can't get a good deep breath. I know part of it is my anxiety, and when I'm laying down and relaxed I feel I breathe better but standing, sitting or moving around I feel like I need to take a deep breath and when I do it just doesn't feel like I can take a great deep breath like I used to. Anyone else feel like this?

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes you do, I have  low ferritin, low folic acid, and my haemoglobin is very low. I have been getting slowly more tired, so slow over the last year that I didn't really pick up on it, until my GP did a blood test for anaemia. My haemaglobin is 8.3. Folic acid 1.9 and ferritin, which shows your iron stores is 9.0, I am severely anaemic and really breathless. 

Just walking from one room to the next is making me so breathless, and yes I don't feel as though there is enough air going in when I breathe.

On iron and folic acid tablets now.

• Posted

Thank you all for the responses! Have you noticed a difference since taking the pills? My CBC is normal but I'm waiting on my actual iron and ferritin count. I went thru a really bad period recently ( still am feeling awful ) and noticed I feel better after eating a steak with orange juice. Haven't started actually supplementing yet till I get results

• Posted

Yes a big difference after taking for a month, GP said it will take at least three months to feel normal.
  • Posted

Yes that is exactly what my shortness of breath feels like. Just a heavy chest and can't seem to get a good deep breath. My ferritin is still low. 6. I wish there was a way to get it higher faster but I think taking iron supplements and eating iron rich foods is all I can do. I think it just takes time unfortunately.

• Posted

This is reassuring to hear. But I'm sorry your going thru this sad it's such a terrible feeling.

• Posted

Yes Ellen i think a lot of us do.  They used to call iron deficiency "tired blood' in the olden days.  I now know why they call it that!  It is exhausting and almost painful.

Hopefully you will be on your road to recovery soon.

Rose

• Posted

Yes it's terrible. The last time I had my ferritin checked was 2 years ago and it was 20 but my doctor never said anything. And only recently after feeling so awful did I come across the symptoms of low ferritin even when CBC levels were normal. I seem to fit the description and I am hopeful that I will soon feel better. Thank you for your response!

• Posted

The main thing I've noticed is, when not on the pills my tongue was always painful, like burnt patches on it. On the pills that's disappeared, if I stop them it comes back. My level was down at 2

• Posted

Hi, i am undergoing tests for my anaemia and i do get shortness of breath and exceptionally tiredness.

I have had endoscopy and colonoscopy for my condition and also a chest xray and an ultrasound, which thank goodness all came back clear. 

Im now taking iron sulphate tablets 3 a day and i go back to see gastroenterologist  hopefully i hope the iron tablets work but if not ive to have the pill camera.

So i wish you well with your condition.

• Posted

I had all these. Still none the wiser. On iron infusions about every three months. Will it get better or do I have to live with it ( and hope it doesn't worsen)?

• Posted

Hi everyone. So my blood work came back and although my CBC was normal my iron level, saturation and ferritin were all low. I have started supplementing with floradix 30ml a day and eating as much high iron food as I can. I even ate chicken liver which I find gross. I think it's a combo of iron deficiency and my anxiety but none the less I am feeling extremely fatigued, brain fog, shortness of breath, rapid heartbeat when doing anything other than lying down, dizziness and just pretty much feeling awful. I've read so many different forums with so many people having the same symptoms. I just want to feel better. I see people saying they started to feel better in days and others in months. I feel like I have been really up and down. I can feel better in the morning and worse at night or one day better one day not. I started my period yesterday so today I am feeling much worse. Has anyone else felt so up and down? I really am looking for some reassurance and support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.