do you need to exercise harder when you get older?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am a GP, who has become increasingly frustrated by the fact that most patients seem to think, that the GP is able to help with illnesses and conditions, which are brought upon by lack of exercise, overeating, smoking and alcohol. It is fair to say that most common conditions including many cancers, muscular and joint problems, cardiovascular problems are only preventable by making sure one follows a daily exercise regime and tries to rely on as few medications as possible.

I have started a health campaign called "doctor yourself" which gives simple advise and shows that most chronic conditions cannot be treated, they can only be prevented.

3 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well all I can say is that I've suffered from a long term muscular inflammatory disease and have cardiovascular problems, plus chronic kidney disease, but I am not overweight, exercise (brisk walking) each day, have never smoked nor drunk alcohol, eat a very healthy, mostly organic diet, and never eat salt or processed foods. I have never popped pills, in fact I hate even taking a paracetamol, alas I'm now forced to take pills for high BP and don't feel any better for those!
  • Posted

I do agree that exercise and healthy diet are very important, we are what we eat per say, however this is not as easy as it sounds. In China the elderly get up early and walk down to the local park for dancing and exercises with the community. It is a normal part of their lives. If communities could be encouraged to have some way of including the older person in activity it would encourage people to make exercise a bigger part of their lives. With modern living it is all too easy to become couch potatoes. Even so some illnesses are unavoidable and just genetics or bad luck. My step father has had hypertension since being a young man, thin and very active, eating fresh vegetables and healthy food all his life, doing exercises religiously three times a day and riding his bike. This did not prevent him from having his recent stroke, but it may have delayed it, who knows.
  • Posted

I am just saying that we can only try and change the odds in our favor to an extent. Of course there are the 90 year old smokers who are happily living ever after and the overweight couch potatoes, who have nothing wrong with them. It is all a numbers game. What we can try and do is helping your body to stay healthy into old age and exercise is one of the most important remedies.

Clearly, if you had a stroke despite living responsibly you might feel it is very unfair but unfortunately genetics and other factors are playing a part but possibly the stroke might have hit even earlier.

I can confidently say, that the majority of the chronic diseases I see in the practice have to do with self neglect, misinformation and misuse of medication.

Take the muscular skeletal system for example. There has been the rumor, that jogging might damage the knees. It turns out, it does not; keeping the muscles moving helps the joints , takes weight of the joint and prevents Arthritis.

The patients in my surgery who are slim and continued to swim, dance, garden even walking the dog are happier and healthier.

winfried brenneis

• Posted

Hello Winfried ~

May I encourage you to read up on "Eat Right for your Body Type, by Dr. D'Adamo.  It isn't just hearing about this by the author, I've walked the walk so to speak.  Been on this diet and has helped me tremendously...I'm positive it can help others!  Also, if one cannot exercise for various reasons...Pull up the New York Times and read about the research that's been "proven" that 3, 10 mins a day of any kidn of excercise is going to help...in most cases, moreso than a 30 min workout all the way through. I've stated my case in several other posts and I wish anyone having difficulites do read up on this ...don't just take the word from our posts.  Our own credibility is proven by outcome, not words!  Good Luck!

Frustrated

• Posted

I wont think heavy exercise after some age limit is good fro health.
  • Posted

Indeed, ultimately it's the person who should be responsible for his health.
  • Posted

I attend my gym 4 times a week 2 hours in total, and I walk regularly. All that exercise, and still not losing weight!! I do not over eat before that is stated either!
    • Posted

I guess a simple equation is....work off a certain amount of calories and intake less than you're working off..ie: burn 1200 calories...eat 1000...that' s a low amount but it's just an example....

Good luck! oh, and also, keeping track of your carbs is also a consideration...carbs like all foods, turn into sugar. which can complicate things even worse.

If you intake 30 carbs, check the fiber.  If you intake 30 carbs and the fiber is 10, you take 30 minus 10 and that's the total of the carbs you've eaten...20.

I hope I didn't confuse this issue. It's worked for me and millions of others.  Good Luck

Frustrated

• Posted

Check with your doctor as to what amount of carbs you should be eating per day.  That definitely will make a difference.  There is a book out that can also help called "Eat Right for your Type" by Peter D'Adamo.  Some people will never lose weight if they are eating against their blood type.  Just a shor example and then I would encourage you to get that book and read it...it's interesting and knowledgeable and it works!  Example: If your are type O, they are meat  eaters.  Type O is the oldest blood type to date.  Now, if a person that is Type A which is a veggie eater, but they indulge in Type O's diet, they cannot digest it as well.  And the opposite to that is Type O cannot digest fruits and veggies like Type A can.  It all makes sense and has been worked out by BioChemists and glycobiologists. I would encourage you or anyone having a difficult time losing weight to get this read and see for yourself.  I was amazed!  Like anything, check  with your doctor before starting on any diet or excercise program.

Good luck and write to let us  know how you're doing.

Frustrated

• Posted

JIA -  hypermobility - bad genes - accidents resulting in joint injury -  these and other factors are outwith a lot of peoples control.  
  • Posted

Hi, You are a doctor so can you please help us. I, unfortunatly have Fibromyalgia were diagnosed 3 years ago. I have been going to a gym 4 times a week 2 hours in total and walk my dog every day for at least 3 hours. The dog gets knackered, and so do I. I am not losing any weight at all, and I DO NOT over eat ever. Apart from having this damn Fibro, what do you think the problem is. By the way, today its my birthday I am now 58, but I do not feel old at all. My eldest Grandson is 18 he is one of six, and our only Granddaughter is 2 yrs old...
    • Posted

Anne, you don't have to overeat to gain weight.  Like in my previous posts, check the book, "Eat Right for your Type" by Dr. D'Adamo.  I have been on this diet and can attest that it does work.  It's all in the science of things.  You can probably read up on this online before you even consider purchashing.  Also, my friend has Fibromyalgia and first I'd like to say how sorry I am for you because I do see her debilitating pain that she tries to work through either mentally or excercising.  However, like you, she got so frustrated because she gained so much weight, she started this Dr.D'Adamo book and is feeling so much better and looks healthy and has been able to take herself off the medications (which can in itself cause weight gain).  Good luck and don't give up!  Keep trying until something does work for you.

Frustrated

• Posted

I used to smoke, gave that up years ago and alcohol well I never touch it - I seen too many friends die in their 30's and 40's from years of abusing their bodies. Considering I have no way of exercising and I'm only 50, and under numerous hospital consultants as well as my own GP, I take well over 100+ tablets a week and have botox injections administered in hospital every 3 months. I suffer from Generalized Dystonia, still in remission from cancer and two other major operations. Once I am in bed I have to wait until my wife gets up, or if in an emergency then I would call her in the middle of the night. I cannot even get dressed or undressed for bed, and have an adapted bathroom due to my conditions. I'm not overweight, and never have been - I try to keep doctors appointments down to a minimum, and order repeat prescriptions online. And all this started in my early 20's - I was not diagnosed back then by Professor David Marsden under about 2 years later, (sadly he passed away at 60), but he was well known in his field of practice of Neurology.

The trouble I have is muscle related and very painful, I wish sometimes I could do more for myself because it is a nightmare having to rely on other people, even just to have a drink or pick up a tablet.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Les

You certainly have gone through a lot in your lifetime.  I understand on dependence of others for help.  While mine is not as intense as yours, I certainly can appreciate what you're talking about.

I'm sorry so much has happened to you...which seemed to start out so early in your life.  Your wife is a saint...I know you know that.  I tell my husband he is as well.  He does get frustrated but after he removes himself from the situation, he comes back and apologizes...which I remind him it wasn't necessary to apologize because i can only imagine what he's struggling with. 

My point is, you are using your lifes experience in helping others.  I've seen many of your posts and see that you don't seem bitter. You've learned many things others may never experience and the good thing, you share it with anyone who asks.  I commend you for that!

Keep with the positive, Les.

Warm regards,

Frustrated

• Posted

Hi Frustrated,

I look at it as, if my wife was not here - who would I turn to... On my side of the family all I have is my one brother, I lost my mother in 2004 and my father in 2008. My brother and I keep in contact by phone, since he is around 160 miles from me. At the moment he has his own problems going through a big divorce battle, which is very messy involving his disabled son, house and alot in assets. That was a 17 year marriage, I was shocked when he phoned me wayback this year to say what was going on. There is a lot going on in the case, including blackmail - his ex-wife to be is trying all angles, to get sympathy but social services were brought in, it's a long story...

I try as much as I can to be dependent, but it is very difficult when your mobility is impaired that I cannot even use a zimmer or even a quadstick. Basically, I fought to the end with my mobility, first the standard walking stick, quadstick, zimmer, quadseat-push-along, wheelchair self steer (that was a nightmare) and even an electric chair - the trouble what my brain signals to do and which muscles function is where I fail. If I try and turn left, I go right - this on a public path or road is just an accident waiting to happen. In the house I try to use the zimmer most of the time, or rely on walls. I refused any form of walking aid at the start, stupid really, I fell numerous times, but I didn't like the way people look at you, if you look different than normal. It was getting over that initial stage. Nowdays, I wouldn't go anywhere without the aids. We had to get a larger car to take just some of my aids, and we had to pay a £499 deposit. I receive DLA at the high rate, so in my case it was a good investment, considering what has happened in the past.

When I read what you put about my wife being a saint, it is very true, she has to look after me 24/7 which is not easy, and administering some medications years ago by rectal tubes I would find difficcult. I often think what life would be like without my wife, and thought deeply about what she has to do, it's then when you think that carers are not paid enough for what they have to do on a daily basis, and all our gov't pays them is just over £60 a week. A carer in my eyes is worth their weight in gold is very true.

I have no reason to be bitter about anyone, if anyone asks a question that I know about from experiencen then I see if I can help them. There is enough bitterness in this world than adding to it - we see it daily on TV, no I don't watch Tv all day either...lol I try and keep myself occupied, but I cannot sit or lie in one position for too long, or my joints start aching.

Regards,

Les.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.