do you need to exercise harder when you get older?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am a GP, who has become increasingly frustrated by the fact that most patients seem to think, that the GP is able to help with illnesses and conditions, which are brought upon by lack of exercise, overeating, smoking and alcohol. It is fair to say that most common conditions including many cancers, muscular and joint problems, cardiovascular problems are only preventable by making sure one follows a daily exercise regime and tries to rely on as few medications as possible.

I have started a health campaign called "doctor yourself" which gives simple advise and shows that most chronic conditions cannot be treated, they can only be prevented.

3 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't think we are quite focusing on the principle Dr Winfried is driving at. Each of us should address the basics of maintaining a healthy life style. That done it is perfectly right to seek help from a medical expert.

What is not too clever is to follow a lifestyle in which any or all of the basics of eating, drinking, sleeping, breathing and exercising are unwise. Then when our bodies fail in some way  look to the GP to provide a treatment to enable us to continue to abuse our bodies in the way that has already resulted in injury.

Put another way -

Avoid self harm. Free up the doctor to address the many ills and accidents that are unavoidable and to which we are all subject. 

• Posted

Hi Winifred ~

Since you are a GP you probably won't agree with what Im about to write.  I was in an awful accident 10 years ago and have been unable to exercise since. I've tried the gammet of light exercise, light massage and water therapy in warm water.  I was an avid health concious person before this accident but since, everything I've mentioned triggers me into debilitating consequences.  I'm down for at times a month.  My surgeon is true believer in working through pain and I get that because I was no stranger to pain after a workout.  He did observe a few sessions (which is pretty much unheard of because their time is precious) he did agree, it was time to hang up the excersize clothes and shoes and try to maintain weight control with good eating behaivor...which I was already accustomed to because of my dedication to quality of health/life.

Not everyone should be judged because some medical people "think" it's a necessary thing to do to keep in good health.  I wish that were the case for me but it isn't...I can only believe many out there are in the same shoes as mine so I'm here to say...don't give up if you aren't able to exercise, eat healthy and smart and that can only help!

Frustrated

• Posted

correction:  exersize: exercise smile oh well...it's dark in here and my grandson is sleeping in my room...can't see the keyboard that well. 
  • Posted

Harder exercise not needed but one must keep going with regular walk/ jogging, planks , abs for sya 40 mins a day!

• Posted

Reha, some people do not get that luxury of working out either because of health issues or auto accidents or any accident for that matter.  If one cannot endure 40 mins of exercising but can endure 10, do 3 - 10 min walks to your corner and back.  That does speed up your metabolizm and that helps digest food quicker. That 3 X 10 is another science that has been worked out  According to the New York Times, people usually start out their excercise programs with vim and vigor....after approx 15 mins, one slows down and it's giving it their fullest as they were just the 10 mins prior.  Theory is, working out for 10 mins 3 times a day is giving your body that jump start as well as keeping it healthy.  Three times a day turns into 30 mis a day that turns into 210 mins a week.  It is all relative...just keep an open mind and you'd be surprised what can happen.  I've give you two ideas to lose weight and stay healthy...the bood "Eat Right for your body Type" by Dr. D'Adamo and the New York Times information regarding 10/30.

Good luck!!!

Frustrated

• Posted

correction:

it's giving it their fullest as they were just the 10 mins prior

Corrected to:

they aren't giving their fullest  as they were just prior ...

• Posted

Just curious,  at what age are you aiming your campaign, and how are you getting the  message to them ?    I should imagine all over 12s will be your target,  how do you propose getting your campaign into the education system?  

How are you going to educate where others have failed in the past?  You are not the first to have dreamed of a healthy nation.

• Posted

Our ancesters live an active outdoor life, no smoking or drinking alcahol, ate organic food and didn't suffer with todays polution but died very young by todays standards of who knows what complaints, they weren't all killed by sabre toothed tigers.

Over the past 50 odd years I've noticed a lot of doctors have smoking/drinking/idleness as a default goto and are quite lost when answered with none, none, 12 miles a day when they ask the patients indulgences.

• Posted

Yes they had an oganic diet for there was no other. But they were chronically malnourished through lack of variety and lack of sufficiency. Actual starvation was common in late Winter and Spring. Medical help was often debilitating or fatal. Life span was similar to today's in the religeous communities as they had an adequate diet daily diet of fresh fish, grains and vegetables. There were fewer polutants. The rationed diet of the 1940s seems to have been very healthy - adequate (just) for the active lifestyle normal at that time. Very little factory prepared food and very little fast food. Very little pollution too. Antibiotics made their entry and medical aid became available to all. Those may well have been the optimum years for health. Those who benefited are already passing from this scene.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.