Do you regret cholecystectomy?

Posted , 22 users are following.

I'm scheduled for gallbladder surgery next week. I've been doing a lot of research and something I can't find real clearly is whether you're satisfied or regret the surgery? I've read a lot of indications, contraindications, symptoms before and after...right now this is my decision and I feel pretty confident about my decision...

But just wondering if anyone out there regrets the decision

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jenelle,

I think it's different for different people, but remember most of the people posting on this forum are here because they had problems. I do NOT regret my surgery, even though I am not feel 100% better yet my main symptom, nausea, has gotten better every week since surgery. My surgeon told me that more classic symptoms like pain are even more likely to go away with surgery. Very few people statistically end up feeling worse the surgery, and something like 70-95% of people feel better. So go for it and I hope you feel much better!

• Posted

Oh, and I can eat pretty much anything I want with very little bathroom-related side effects. Not everyone is so lucky but for many people they have no problems!
  • Posted

I had a gallbladder full of black stones, my only choice was surgery. Life changes after that, the way you eat forever changes. I also suffered pain attacks after the organ was removed, from the nerves firing psin signals. I don't regret the surgery but it was a long road I had to take.

• Posted

I can't answer your question personally cos I havnt had surgery but need it ,I  was advised 2 and a half years ago to get it out,but due to all the bad storys you hear refused ,now I am in contast pain so i am going to have it done,the people I have spoke too say it's the best thing they have had done,people like to put the downside on here about surgery I wish more people would put more positive things about the surgery.

• Posted

I was the same, googling for info and trying to find out real stories. I decided the pain was so bad and happening so often that I felt the op was my best option. And..... It was the best thing i did. No complications, off work 2 weeks, no more pain, can eat anything now. I have got a few issues when I overeat with need to rush to a loo immediately but that is easily avoided! I have been without a gallbladder for 14 months now and haven't looked back.

Good luck x

• Edited

I am very, very happy that I did the surgery.  I don't regret it and I would do it again!

• Posted

Hi Jennele,

every one is different and all have different symptons but i believe i am feeling alot better than i was before i had my GB out. I just am still learning what to eat some people do not have problems with that and i do . i think it had to do with a bleeding ulcer i had before. but only you can decide what you want to do. maybe you should talk to your Doctor more about your concerns. Good Luck. Happy New Year and let us know how you make out. 

• Posted

i don't regret having it out because I don't feel as bad as I did prior. In my case I have pain that may have been there along with the bad gallbladder. I have pain everyday. Burning pain. I've been through so many test etc... But I don't think the proper ones.

• Posted

I havent had mine out yet, however I have 3 family members who have and my husbands work collegues wife has and all say best thing they did and can now eat what they like!
  • Posted

Also, dont forget, many who also have issues after surgery were already having issues before surgery, which would of likely got worse and worse too. Surgery may not be a cure all for a few but for most it is and those it isnt would of got worse anyway sadly, keeping it. I suppose its like anything in life. We also hearabout the negatives as more people seek help and talk about them, the others are off living life and have no need too seek advise. it is scary though, this forum has me half scared to death as i likely will need surgery! 
    • Posted

Your right. I'm not giving up hope yet. Sadly I've been to mayo clinic which I thought would have found the answer for me. They diagnosed me with thoracic pain. I went to a spine Doctor and have a nerve block and than 2 epidurals. 20 PT visits. When that didn't work I was sent to a orthopedic surgeon. Sent me for MRI and CT scan to than say I do not have thoracic issues!!! Very very frustrating.

• Posted

I really hope they found the cause for you xxx Being in chronic pain is no life. I have a rare disorder too so have been trhough the merry go round of tests, scans and consults. Wishing you all the best xx

• Posted

Patricia,

I hope that you find out what's going on.  Have you considered the cleveland clinic? i'm sure that you're not anxious to commence more tests, though.  You must be at your wit's end at times. Please don't give up! xx

• Posted

I'm seeing the surgeon that took my gallbladder out on Wednesday. Hope he will have some sort of game plan. I will not give up on finding out because I know it is something that is not normal. Thank you for your kind words. Happy new year. I'll keep you posted on here.

• Posted

Hi Star,

You should try not to let this forum scare you as everyone is different and has different problems. My GB was out a little over a month. I am fine except I have to get use to what i can eat. They did a cat scan and the PA said it was fine but did I want to make an appt to see the surgeon to go over the results. I wish you the best of luck

Terry

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

Where is the mayo clinic at? does it cost alot for their diet? Thanks Terry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.