Do you regret cholecystectomy?

Posted , 22 users are following.

I'm scheduled for gallbladder surgery next week. I've been doing a lot of research and something I can't find real clearly is whether you're satisfied or regret the surgery? I've read a lot of indications, contraindications, symptoms before and after...right now this is my decision and I feel pretty confident about my decision...

But just wondering if anyone out there regrets the decision

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jenelle,

?I am with others who have not had the surgey. However, I have not been officially diagnosed with gallblaader issues, but I suffer the symtoms related to them. I started looking into the surgery as the pain motivated me to. Like you, i was not able to find any definitive answers as to the long term effects of the surgery.

?Anecdotally, I hear mostly positive things! However, there is something to be said about removing organs from your body. Logically speaking, the organs are there for a reason.

?

?I also discovered in my research that there are other alternatives to having a cholecystectomy?. Most doctors wont tell you about these, as having cholecystectomy? surgery is so common place. But I would do a bit of research on them just so you are well informed of your options. This is not at all to detour you from having the surgery, just think it's good to be aware of all options.

Hope this helps...

• Posted

I think including me that not only do we possibly need our GB out there is something g else goi g on that mimics that pain. So you get the GB out but still have pain. I'm still trying to figure it out!!! Ugh

• Posted

Had mine out 4 weeks ago. Certainly don't regret it. No more discomfort and pain. Wish i had it out years ago. Good luck.

• Posted

So assuming all my issues are cleared up after removal and don't have any complications and aside from normal post operative pain...what's the most common rate of relief? Like relief from all the pain and nausea/vomiting? Immediately? A week? Months? Etc. I've googled and googled but this seems like a pretty informative forum and I'd love personal experiences.

• Posted

This varries by individual, depending on lots of factors, including age and general state of health at the time of surgery.  It also depends on how your body responds to the surgery; how long it takes before it adjusts to the lack of a gallbladder.

The small incisions need to heal, too.  Externally, the stitches should heal in 6-8 weeks.  Internally, it can take up to 6 months for some people. So, it will be a while before normal activities can be resumed.

For me it was 8 weeks or so.  

• Posted

Like Lynda said it varies by person. I was back to normal activities after 2 weeks, with no pain from the incisions just a little tightness and I could do yoga, lift weights, etc. The scabs came off over the next 2 weeks and now after 5 weeks you can hardly tell I had anything done!

The nausea however was still just as bad for the first 2 weeks, and since then has gradually been getting better. I'm 5 weeks out and still have a bad day about once a week, and a little queasiness ocassionally, but overall it's gotten much better and my appetite is back. I'm optimistic that it will continue to improve and I will be 100% within another couple of months.

But it definitely wasn't instant and I was pretty upset when I still felt badly after surgery. My surgeon said it takes at least 2 months for your digestive tract to work itself out so if you don't feel better instantly don't be discouraged, it can take time!

• Edited

Best thing I did! My only regret is I didn't do it sooner! I kept putting it off and was in tears from the pain!

I only get diarrhoea if I skip meals but other then that I can eat anything now!

Good luck with your choice

• Edited

Hi

did you have your surgery ? how do you feel now?

• Edited

I did and honestly, not much changed until I went vegan. I don't have any stomach problems or pain since going vegan unless i eat too much oil from fried things. I wish i had tried going vegan before surgery, I think I could have avoided all the risks.

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 3 years ago and I feel a bit better

butI still feel sick and have pain every day .

I cannot eat so many things ,I feel very depressed as expected to be better than this.

• Posted

I suggest cutting out meat and dairy and trying that out. See how you feel. It made a huge, huge difference for me.

• Posted

As I have posted elsewhere I had my op two months ago so still early days but I have no regrets about the operation. I am now eating and drinking normally and have no pain or other problems. Of course some people do have issues after the operation but for the vast majority it is very successful and resolves all their previous problems.

• Posted

Absolutely no regrets! It gave me back a normal life and took away the pain and anxiety the gallbladder attacks gave me. Everything is back to working normally.

• Posted

hi Jenell how are you now? hope you've already had your surgery? I've had mine two weeks ago but I must say am still having issues with toilet and pain. how have you managed with yours if you've got it done hope no issues

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.