DOCTOR DECIDES TO STOP MY ZOPICLONE

Posted , 3 users are following.

My Doctor has decided to stop prescribing  my Zopiclone 3.75 mg with  

no regard for the facts that I have 2 incurable diseases, (STRESSFUL )

to say the least.  I also suffer from screaming tinnitus ,.the main reason 

for taking  Zopiclone ,otherwise sleep is out of the question .I have also  had three very stressful years ,taking care of my 96 year mother,24/7

Lack of sleep was not an option,  

Now it seems that sleep is to be denied me ,which will cause me more stress which will aggravate two of my illnesses.

I was under the impression that doctors were meant to keep us healthy.

Has anyone else suffered withdrawal of help from a G.P which is what 

is happening to me ,and is there an answer to this situation ?????

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

SNAP.... Had surgery and waiting fir more. parent with dementia, although, he has since passed away.

I'm going for pre-op for next op. That's when I'm going to have to be a bit tougher about the zop. I'm in pain, at some level, all the time so after surgery it's much harder to manage.

What do you want as an outcome? More zop from gp, continuing as you have been? An increase or a strategy for doing without it?

As I've said, id like never to need it again and hope to learn to deal with insomnia in a different way. I dislike the impact it has had on my life overall.

Whatever you decide, your doctor should support you. However, from talking to other people about various medical issues, I find that doctors don't tend to take criticism too well. They seem to close ranks so be careful how you word things when you go tomorrow.

Good luck. xSx

• Posted

Hi .i'm having an hour in bed My DD is playing up a tad so it's better

to be relaxed. Ma was very off key to day  strange questions , very odd answers to my questions

Sorted her clothes out again, some missing ,this is becoming a habit

says one carer is short with her,and that she doesn't like it there 

any more. Will have to sort this out  soon. 

Zoppy gives me no problems  at all,just gets me off to sleep as it

was intended, because of the orchestra in my head ,which of course

is louder at night . Will ring the surgeons secretary tomorrow. No

doubt I will be told to run the referal gambit again

It took me two years to convince the doc that I had torn a tendon

in my shoulder, If it had been seen to within the six week window.

there would not have been any problems 

I only have the lowest dose of Zop and one only at bedtime , must

admit I have been taking two for the past few weeks, because ther

has been so much happening and NO help from anyone 

No doubt when my life gets back to some normality I will sleep 

without any help. 

Rain promised for the rest of the week Hope Friday will be dry--ish

Gates to be moved, and new bed arriving.

Support  !!! what's that ????.

• Posted

Get some rest whenever you can.

Do what YOU decide about the zop. Only you know how you feel about it, but long - term it's not for me. Dunno what I though!!

Coping with any form of dementia is taxing to say the least. I cried so much during that few years. It exhausts you and challenges you like nothing else can.

I'm always around if you want to chat.

Got voluntary work tomorrow, so I'm going to prep for that. xSx

• Posted

Posh frock and tiara job.Plenty of slap. I suppose it's because i had to 

be presentable 5 days a week  suits ,high heels, and slap. being a rep

it's a habit I can't get out of .putting the ""face"" on, before I go anywhere.

otherwise I look like road kill . My voluntary work is taking my 83 yr old

aunt out into Derbyshire and drive through as many villages until we

get lost,then find atea shop Went to Sherwood forest  last week , That 

sad old tree ,propped and tied up  shame on the council

• Posted

I also like my make up and hair done. I'd hate to go out without being 'groomed'.

Makes me laugh sometimes when people say I look well..... Little do they know. I was like Wurzel Gummidge an hour earlier!!

In some ways, that image thing is another reason why I want to dump the zop . It numbs me and makes me less articulate. I feel like it saps my energy and confidence.

I take quite a cocktail of prescription meds for my chronic health conditions without the zop.

Lack of or erratic sleep is not good but the zopiclone was worse.

• Posted

Hello,  Why does Zoppi make you feel so awful ? Silly question really

most presription drugs make me feel like a bag of poo, so, I don't take

any at all now, I have two incurables ,well three really and a couple of

pains that need attention. shoulder being the real trouble maker, as I 

am left handed it is a prob ,,makes riding a tad slow as I have to make

sure I don't get pulled, I do of course, then wait for the pain TIGER

BALM  is good . I just ignore the other 3 and let them get on with 

whatever they want to do .I think that ignoring them ,creates ,mind

over matter, so I don't get up tight ,but sleep is a totally different

ball game .. Good job Zoppi cause me no probs at all This lack of

cooperation from the Dr will be sorted  on Wednesday. Then I wait for

the next mountain that wants moving . Adrenalin rushes  supposedly

are good for you ,so I should be fighting fit all the time  eek

I love these little faces !!!!! I know   ""GET A LIFE "" 

• Posted

At first the zopiclone was great. 3.5 helped me get off to sleep. Then my Dad died and I was devastated. Sleep was difficult and I had my dosage increased 7.5. That was great too fir a while. Like you, id have said ' no probs' . It did the job.

More recently I've experienced trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. It looked like I needed to up the dose to 10.

Then I ran out, due to a mix up at the surgery. This has all been in a 10yr period.

Once I ran out, I had to wait 4 days with no pills. During that time, I had sweats, nausea, night terrors, shaking, upset stomach etc. I looked at this forum and saw what others had put.

It made me realise that it was the lack of zopiclone that made me so ill. Therefore, once I did get my prescription, I decided id be better off without them.

I've had 12 days without taking pills and i feel more alert and capable. Side effects of not having them have gone. I'm still finding it hard to actually fall asleep and stay that way for more than 2-3 hrs but I'm doing my best not to fret about it and am confident that it will improve.

I have 28 zopiclone now, but don't plan on taking them.

From what I have read, most people manage well on a dosage for yrs, then problems ensue, higher dose prescribed, ok for yrs, probs ...etc etc.. At some stage, gps intervene and stop prescribing or refuse an increase, leaving patients with BIG problems.

I don't want that so I'm calling a halt to it while I'm in control.

• Posted

Morning Sue 

It seems that you are last to bed, and I am up first. Another

throwback. having to get up at 6 to see to the horses,before going to work

!0 years of Zoppi will be hard to get out of your system .Rather like having a broken leg and needing crutches..

If you are intereted in an alternative (tried and tested on my mother)

who was using Zop,she never had any problems with repeat

prescriptions. There is product called KALMS a herbal tab,one a night

that helps with sleep  I weaned mother off Zop,and she now uses 

these. Looking back, she did do the Zombie., gormless .lifeless,

thingy,and that was on the low dose. So it does affect people differently I have heard that accapunture could help and. of course, there is the

good old standby ---counting sheep. !!!!! 

I have to visit mother again ,to sort out why her clothes are disappearing at an alarming rate. Wouldn't mind if it was rubbish ,but It's designer

labels  There is a don't know, don't care attitude from the staff.

I think ,that staff are of the opinion that as most of the residents suffer

from various stages of Dementia, they won't notice,when things are

"lost"

When are you having your OP? ,

• Posted

Hello, I had similar instances of items going astray in Dad's nursing home. A few times he had the wrong jumper etc.. Posh toiletries were the worst though. We made sure that our Dad had everything whilst others had very little due to a lack of visitors. Quite often, his stuff was used on other patients.

My op is next month, I hope. This time it's a revision of a big op that I had last summer. I've hardly been able to walk since then. I have to be helped around. Today, for example, I fell in the street and banged my head on the concrete! Sore all over.

• Posted

Hello to you, what a shock when I opened up, didn't expect that..

Are you O.K??? Head banging is not good have you been looked over??

Stay in bed tomorrow ,you will be ouching a lot, 

I went for a hospital app came out to ring for a taxi (nightmare if I drive 

there) A man was totally blocking the bit of pavement, so I had to step 

onto the roadway ,still in the hospital grounds .there was a large hole.that I didn't see and went down, an ambulance was parked about

ten feet away from me, and the driver just shouted "are you allright*

the bloody man had the cheek to say he wasn't surprised  I fell down

because of my HIGH  HEELS  2 inch max. Scratched my favourite 

watches face  and a grazed knee. NO ONE helped me get back on my 

feet.

More clothes missing today, so I had words with the manager how do they get these jobs !!!!! who said ,of course, he would look into it

I think that the next bill that arrives will have some deductions made

for loss of clothing

My aunt fell in the kitchen 5 years ago, they put a pin in her thigh .,

and she can barely walk , even now , without a half crutch  ,

Will you have to stay in the hospital for a while?

It's Tinnitus day tomorrow my 6 monthly check up., another taxi

Let me know how you are feeling  NOW  !!!! bet you could do with 

a sleeper tonight.

• Posted

Hello again, thanks very much for your concern, I really appreciate it.

I am sore all over.... Feel as if I've done ten rounds with Mick The Marmalizer! I will stay in bed today and rest. It a hell of a shock to your system when you fall, isn't it? I'm just grateful that I didn't break any bones this time. Twice I've broken my kneecap. Id had a good day till that happened, providing some training at a local nursery.

Didn't go to hospital, or anything as i just wanted to get home and change out of my soaked clothes after falling in a rather large puddle.

I too had a fall at a hospital due to a hole in the pavement...... Having said that, though, I've had falls all over the place. I should be used to it by now.

Still no sleepers though. I'm doing ok.

Glad you've spoken to someone at the nursing home. A lot of relatives don't bother even visiting so staff can be a bit slack. Once they know you're a regular visitor who voices concerns they'll sharpen up their care of your mother. Let me know how you get on at your appointment please. I can only imagine how awful tinnitus is. Constant noise in your head must drive you crazy.

Have you noticed that this 'discussion' has become just us? It's nice though to have our little chats. I'm enjoying it. Thank you. xSx

• Posted

Hello, glad you are not too damaged .you will have to stop wearing the

stilettos. Next step to ma's disappearing clobber, will be Head office.

The return phone call never came  (yesterday) about my Zop prescription,

or the new ,required referal about my shoulder op.Will have to vist the

surgery  when I get back fro the hospital. that means my trip to the 

mall is cancelled. could do with a bit of retail therapy

People tend to dip in and out of the forums ,I started one called

DIVI DINERS about ten months which  is alive and kicking  ,as it

affects a lot of people, eating is such a problem with this disease,

incurable of course!!!!! 

Appt at 10 -30,   More slap.required

Stay vertical

J

• Posted

Vetical ! I'm definitely horizontal today. Just dossing on my bed with a book.

It's no surprise that your phone calls to the surgery weren't returned. I haven't found them to be the most efficient people.

Good luck with sorting out your mum's possessions. I'm sure that'll be easily sorted. Is her stuff labelled? Will she be residing there now or is she just there for respite? You can do without the extra stress of having to hunt down her clothes when you visit. You want to see her clean, tidy and properly dressed.... It's about protecting her dignity isn't it?

What medical conditions do you have? Mine are polio, osteo porosis, underactive thyroid, diverticular disease and muscle wasting. Hence the pain, sleepless nights etc...

Good luck today. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.