Doctor has stopped my Tramadol.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there, I had been on Tramdol for a little over 12 months and within those 12 months I had a few seizures. My doctor out it down to the amount of Tramadol I was taking, however a few weeks ago I had another seizure that couldn't be due to Tramadol because I'd not had any. I've not been prescribed any since November and I still can't get them out of my head, I've even been stealing my mother in law's (I'm ashamed to say). I really don't know what to do! :-(

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

Tramadol is a known drug to cause Epleptic seizures, it should be never prescribed by a Doctor that knows you suffer from any type of seizure whether they are Epileptic or Functional Episodes.

You may ask how I know this, well I am in the same predicament as you, well infact worse because I was also prescribed Amitriptyline as well, again another medication that causes seizures.

I was put on Tramadol and Amitriptyline to combat pain. Why were you on Tramadol in the first place?

With Tramadol and Amitriptyline, you have to be weaned off them, normally using a substitute drug replacement. I am in the process of being weaned off them (I am only on 150mg a day of Tramadol) but its enough to try and get me off without problems occuring.

Tramadol causes seizures, anyone will tell you that. A drug like Epilim is used by Epileptics, I am on 1,800mg a day of them, I still get the odd seizure, which is probably the Tramadol.

You need to ask your doctor to refer you to see a Consultant Neurologist ASAP, or another Doctor!

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Les, I was put on them due to a back injury I sustained in work and I had never suffered a seizure of any sort until about three months into taking the Tramadol. I have taken Tramadol for months before now without having one single seizure and I have also been for MRI scans. My Tramadol was stopped without any reduction and I have since been put on Sertrline for my low moods. All I can think about at any point in the day is Tramadol.
    • Posted

Hi,

Yes, they work well as painkillers, but one thing they dont tell you is how they are one of most addictive drugs on the market. I have not reduced mine yet, I have to be weaned on to two other drugs first then weaned off Tramadol. That is the difficult part, getting off Tramadol is hard, I've been told so many times now.

Doctor's seem to prescribe them like sweets for pain - don't get me wrong they are good painkillers but highly addictive. Which is why you are having problems. I've been on my first week of Gabapentin, which stops seizures, but still aids pain relief, I've been on them a week so far and seen no problems, I have to get them upto 6 a day, then another drug is brought in, so 12 new tablets before removing Tramadol from the concoction! I'm on over 30 tablets a day now, with me 150mg of Tramadol is nothing, I'm just hoping that coming off them does not cause problems.

I was given Tramadol by a Locum Doctor, which should have never been prescribed in the first place. At the time I had pain in my left arm, shoulder blade, spine and muscles. Tramadol was a good painkiller but now, I wish it was never given to me.

The other drug they will be giving me is Pregabalin, both drugs have similar effects, if you can handle the side-effects.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

I still get the pain in my back but now I just have to deal with it. I wish I hadn't been prescribed them either if I'm honest but now all I want is them for the pain and the addiction. I've not got a clue what to do, I iust get given Sertraline (antidepressants).

Regards

• Posted

Hi,

I would ask your doctor about being weaned off them. I went to a Pain Management Clinic to get authorized to be taken off them through my Neurologist. So, it was the Pain Management Doctor that came up with the two drugs I need to be on first, before touching the Tramadol.

He said it was a lethal drug to be on when you suffer from seizures, and informed my doctor to change them ASAP, using the chart he had drawn up to prescribe other drugs to replace Tramadol. He said if I have any issues with Tramadol when the dose is dropped, contact your Doctor ar once. So we can make further adjustments to the new tablets before dropping the Tramadol.

He said we cannot just take Tramadol out, it does not work that way - getting addiction is another issue, I hope that goes with the drop, well I can hope I guess.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

I've not actually been prescribed them since November, he'll just say I've managed this long. I'm at my wits end! sad I've been taking my mother in-laws. I don't feel my doctors care because that's theire first answer, stop them. I really need advice, no one seems to understand. sad

Regards

• Posted

Hi,

That's not the sort of answer any Doctor should say! If that was me I would change my doctor and tell them exactly what has happened. (The mother-in-laws part I would omit though!).

There's many people on these forums that have succeeded in getting them, I'm only at the first level and I've only ever needed to take 3 x 50mg a day! But even that's enough to get hooked... One thing they told me to do was take 2 x Paracetamol with one Tramadol, not sure what this does but I didi find it made the tramadol more powerful in my case.

I would certainly change doctors though, under your circumstances. You, would find it more beneficial than trying to deal with your current doctor.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thanks Les, you've really been helpful. I don't know enough so I just walk out the surgery with whatever answer they give me. I can't seem to concentrate on anything else, especially when I need them for pain as well. I just want to be prescribed them again and then seem help to come of them healthily. sad
    • Posted

Would you say a neurologist is the way for me to go then? I suppose every doctor is different. sad
  • Posted

Did he wean you off them or just stop prescribing them
    • Posted

He can't do that. Tramodol is a very addictive drug, you have every right to go back to your go and demand to go back on them so you can then be weaned off them. Check on any medical website and it will tell you this. You will feel lot worse just been taken off them. Go and see them, good luck
    • Posted

Thank you Paula, I just don't know what to do. He can't do that? Says who? Like, I really don't know enough medically to answer questions like that. He just took me off them and now I don't know how to get back on them to be weened off. sad
    • Posted

I got told this from my gp. He said if I refuse to come off then then he can't take me off then as I have to be weaned. Make an appointment to go back and see another doctor and tell them. If you look on internet it will tell you, you have to be weaned off

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.