Doctor Phobia

Posted , 12 users are following.

Is anybody else afraid of going to the doctor?  Adding up my medical visits in 2016, I've had eleven appointments, including testing and lab work, plus my surgery last month.  Today, I have to see my GI Doctor and will have a colonoscopy at the end of June.  There will not have been a single month in the first six months of this year that I haven't seen a doctor.  I feel overwhelmed by it.  I always expect the worst now, having gone through so much in a short period of time.  I have started exercising again and am working gradually on getting in better shape and wish that would help the anxiety some.  I dread seeing doctors now.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yeo Elizabeth I'm scared of doctors hospitals, dentist in fact scared of everything now lol 😳

Never used to be so defo the hormone fluctuations dictating the moods and causing the fear, anxiety and if course the doom and gloom

Oh happy days!!

Xx

• Posted

Oh yes, the doom and gloom makes it all seem so much worse!  I've forgotten how to feel happy or calm at all.
  • Posted

I'm just exhausted with regards to anything medical. I've been to all kinds of doctors and gotten a variety of tests and still no answers. And still feeling crappy every single day.
    • Posted

I'm frightened to say too much. I'm not against doctors - they just don't know any better.

My doctor is a keen gardener like me. We often chat about our gardens. But when it comes to nutrition I know far more than he does.

Do the research ladies - it's out there.

• Posted

I think you're right, and it's much worse than it used to be.  They're carrying larger patient loads and there are a lot of large practices.  My GI doctor's practice feels like a small hospital; there are 16 doctors and 7 nurse practitioners, in addition to the large number of nurses and support staff.  I always dread going there, but they are the best GI group in my region and are on the cutting edge with regard to research and current procedures.  The gyn group has 7 doctors and 2 nurse practitioners.  My previous gyn docs were in solo practices, so this is different for me.  And the truth about the nutrition situation is that I probably know more about it with regard to the Crohn's than my GI doc does.  I guess I don't totally understand what to expect from him.
  • Posted

I imagine that these doctors get together and swap stories about patients like us who frantically visit their office for every little symptom. They probably get a good laugh out of it. That's why I have decided unless I am gravely ill, I'm not running to their office anymore because I have made a spectacle of myself always being in their office. My last visit which was 2 weeks ago the GP said to me, you were here 3 months ago, what is it now? That woke me up.
    • Posted

That's just awful he would say that!!! I would change doctors.

You all are up late! It must 5 am in UK

• Posted

Morning ! Yes it's 5am , up with the birds singing as usual - have a good day x
    • Posted

That's exactly what I did. She was very young and could not relate to my symptoms. I switched an older female doctor who will hopefully be able to relate. I have an appointment for a physical in about a month.
    • Posted

See. No empathy. They just don't care, cause they don't understand. Your only a number in their eyes and that's very sad.
    • Posted

I see what you mean.  But here's the thing:  I'm not someone who goes to the doctor for every little symptom.  In fact, I try to do as much as I can to avoid it.  This year has been out of the ordinary for me, having to have surgery and all the extra stuff that comes with it.  I don't think they can tell the difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.